polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
d00kie polycounter lvl 17
**URPDAET'D**
nurse_concept4.jpg
nu_nurseperps.jpg

***OL' STUFF***
Hey all,
This is my latest project I'm pursuing, a nurse for TF2.
Here's the concept for the nurse and syringe rfile:

Nurse. Which hair do you think would fit best in TF2 setting?
nurse_concept.jpg

Syringe Rifle.
rifles_concept.jpg

I'm gonna start the basemesh today and hopefully post it up later this evening.
Oh, specs on weapons! (As if it matters :poly128:)

Ether Launcher: Primary weapon that fires shells full of healing ether for an AoE heal effect. Hold down shot for longer distance and larger heal radius. (Similar to Bio Rifle in UT3)

Syringe Rifle: Has a 8 shot magazine and fires syringes from mid distance. On hit, Syringes do 50 dmg overtime. If the enemy dies, teammates are able to pick up drained health from the enemy. Syringes can be removed with Pyro compression blast. (Rack up points with assists just like Medics :thumbup:)

Reflex Hammer: Melee weapon. Swings as fast as Scout's bat. Has a 30% chance to stun on a critical hit.

And lastly, potential upgrades:

Replies

• Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    I like this idea!

Head I, J or K. None of the rest fit that style and period feel that TF2 has.

I don't like any of the syringe rifles, they just don't look medical.

What about some kind of weapon that when she hits someone they pass out/black out for a second. Like a chloroform weapon.

Another idea would be a pill pack for turrets that when they are not shooting the other team it shoots your own players with health. Or maybe she can replace the enemys turrets ammo with health packs, but only lasts a second or two.
  • j4polaris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j4polaris polycounter lvl 18
    Cool idea!

The huge emphasis with TF2's characters is silhouette. From a distance you can tell what each class is based on their overall shape. Right now your concept is pretty generic as far as proportions go. Push the envelope a bit! Does she have sharp, spindly legs like the Scout? Is she rediculously top-heavy (har har) like the Heavy?

I would suggest doing a bit of experimenting with silhouettes like you did with her syringe gun. Try lining her up next to the other TF2 classes to see if she fits the style. There's so much you can do with the art style. Go crazy!
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha, that's awesome!
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    hairstyle D would give the most recognizable silhouette. I also think you're concept is bit too detailed. Try refining and distilling the ideas, shapes and colors to the core.

Looking cool!
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    L for certain.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    I love F, but think she needs to be more sexier which can be defines in the silhouette me thinks. The guns kinda all look the same.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I think the beehive typed haircut you have on her now works pretty well. It has a distinct silhouette and fits the retro pseudo-WW2 era theme that the game has.

I do agree that she could have a more distinct silhoeutte. Being the only female should make this fairly simple - accentuate the cinch in the middle and accentuate the hips a bit. Your biggest problem at this point is that at a distance and in shadow she'll be difficult to tell from the regular medic at a glance. Her colour layout is fairly similar and the red stocking will appear brown in the shade like the medics trousers.
    It's a tricky one. Perhaps you could give her red hair and make it a major feature of the character?
  • Dan K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan K null
    Yo d00kie. Cool concept.

I would say "L" in both cases. Of the rifles, L definitely has that Thompson WW2 feel to it.

Lmao, and for some reason, I could imagine your avatar on a bedpan sitting next to her, like they're partners in crime :)
  • d00kie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys!
    I knew the silhouette of the concept was weak and your input is helping me out alot. I went back and watched the developer commentary on TF2 and noticed they talked about the silhouettes being the main way to tell the characters apart.
    I don't want her to be over sexified or anything like that, but I think I'm gonna give her huge hips for and a massive ass. (Like the girl on the poster in CP_BADLANDS)
    I was torn between K and L for hairstyles, but I'm probably going with L now. :)
    Here's an updated silhouette with the larger hips, what do you think?
    nurse_silhouette.jpg

maybe scrawnier ankles? a different hairstyle besides L? The TF2 style is so damn unique, it's either hit or miss when it comes to emulating it. Hopefully with yall's help I can hit it right on the head! :thumbup:
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    you could always go and make her a short fat nurse. it would give her more character and a more unique silhouette.
  • MattBradley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the short and fat idea, definitely gives more personality, and its completely different from any other tf2 character.
  • kite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite polycounter lvl 17
    cool idea! It might be worth making the face more delicate, also if you're going for suspenders and miniskirt, then perhaps heels rather than sensible shoes?
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    also. since tf2 already has the medic with his medigun.. why not try and go the opposite of him. Say like a medigun that instead heals.. hurts? if you went with a burly fat nurse you could give her the hit points similiar to a heavy so she could get up close to enemies and beam them with pain.

the rifle just doesn't fit with the character. could build something similiar to the syringe gun but it could shoot tranqs or something to slow down an enemy... thus being useful to getting up close with a antiheal gun.

alot of the weapon descriptions seem a bit to detailed to certain instances and conflict a lot with the medic. all about balance and making each character have their own purpose without overstepping another classes job. even if this wasn't for a mod or whatnot, its just something to think about in character design/purpose.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome idea I love the hair you picked, fits the era really well.

Crits:
    - I'm not too keen on the gestapo bandoleer. I think you could use her torso to signal she's a nurse. I think a short apron would work just as well if not better than a modified lab coat. You could still have a belt that cinches at the waist but the cross strap running across the torso should go.
    - I'd stick with the sensible shoes, as cool as sexy nurses are no nurse would ever wear heals while on the job.
    - I think you could push the proportions a little closer to "elastigirl" and hit something un-mistakeable as a new character.
    - Have you thought about toning down the ambitions and just making this work as a medic replacement?
  • d00kie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @oobersli: The short and fat silhouette would be awesome, I was actually thinking of doing it that way. It could work for 200 health points like the Soldier; since he's the only one. But, I really want her to be like the poster on the wall though, so I'm gonna work the sleeker silhouette.
    badlandsposter.jpg

As for the weapon, I went with the rifle (a semi automatic gun) since the medic has the only other automatic shooting gun in the game. (next to the sniper's smg and heavy's minguns). I didn't want the nurse to have an automatic firing weapon as well.
    The syringes damage would be like the Pyro's damage over time. I dont think there's another damage over time gun in the game, so I was hoping to bring that in with the Syringe Rifle.

After some brainstorming today, I think I'm going to give her dual Syringe Lugers or just a Syringe Luger. They're German after all and I can make them look medical. (Thegodzero mentioned the medical look earlier :thumbup:) And she'd be another primary pistol class, like the Spy.
    03-luger-pistol-cross-section.jpg

Well, I got a lot of proportion work to do and weapon redesigning. Probably gonna go back to the beehive hairdo to help the silhouette. I'm fairly certain I'll make dual pistols now (RMB and LMB to fire, like the Heavy's fists) I'm going to do away with the Ether Launcher, leave the healing to the Medic. I want my nurse to be a full on support class, mainly helping the Medic but being able to help others. She'd be able to spy check to an extent and also put herself in danger to get an
  • d00kie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Vig: HA! I was watching the Incredibles the other day with my son and that's what drew inspiration to make the nurse. I didn't want to directly copy her figure, but I want to definitely draw from it. The bandoleer was to hold her medipack for her Ether Launcher, but since I'm getting rid of that, a redesign of her outfit is due. I am getting quite too ambitious lol, I'm gonna buckle down and settle on where I want her to fit in tonite so I can stop being so damn confused about her role.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    If I were you, I'd go more in the direction of a stereotypical Hello Nurse. It may sound too clich
  • Alec3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hashaha zwebbie, great idea dude, I don't know anything about concepting but everything seems really solid!
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    nurses are all former goth chicks.
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    The legs seem...off.
  • d00kie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I did some reworking again tonight and came up with this:
    nurse_concept2.jpg

I shrunk the waist and widened teh hips.
    Move the bust up a bit, i don't want her teats to be huge or showing.
    Got rid of the arm jumblies and added bunchlies instead.
    What do you think of the hair color? (Thanks Zwebbie for the paintover. My gf immediately said the strawberry blonde was a better hair choice.)
    This could be too much detail for a TF2 toon though, they are ridiculously simple. :/
    I still have alot of work to do before I start the modeling.
    C & C plx!

there's a good chance I'll change the beehive hair to one of the other choices
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    Promising concept, I like it. The wide hips and narrowing legs works really well.

Although I think she works better as a brunette and I'd go for the L hairdo :)
    Like in this direction:
    http://cdn.edu-search.com/uploads/ratched.jpg
    http://cdn.edu-search.com/uploads/movienurse1.jpg
    http://imagecache5.art.com/p/LRG/8/861/E8GJ000Z/olivia-deberardinis-nurse-bettie.jpg
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Love the idea of this, and the beehive is a great choice of hairdo. :D Also love the hip-foot taper.
    Hope you don't mind a quick paintover, with a couple ideas for the midsection. You may be able to circumvent this, but I felt like the tightly-cinched belt was killing the flowing curves of your thumbnail silhouettes, so I tried out a loose belt, gunslinger-style (which could also have a holster on the far side). Also played a bit with the actual curves while keeping in the spirit of the thumbs.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/778345/d00kie-po1.jpg
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson polycounter lvl 9
    for some reason, even though she looks like she would kill me, i'd still let her poke me anyway.
  • Alec3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hahaha, can't wait to see the model
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    Are you going to put her in game? Valve are releasing an updated SDK, so you could if you wanted to. :)
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    it´s already possible to put custom models in game.. even if there seems so be some minor bugs .. or it´s just me who's too stupid to find the cause though

and I prefer the black hair version

and i like this hair-style http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/BlackGoose/badlandsposter.jpg

anyway I would take a look at 50s / 60s hair styles. They should fit the style of the game the most
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    So it is. I misread the report on kotaku. The update is involving the games current character models.

Still, my question still stands.. Is the nurse going in game? :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lookin awesome!

- I like K & L hair styles a bit more than the beehive. Just seems to fit. I might be a beehive convert if it didn't have the coolwhip curl on the end. I lean more toward L, because people would expect less physics from the shorter hair.

- Darker hair conjurers images of Betty Page and dark haired beauties from the past. But blond can work too. It might be a good mix to do raven haired with some blue spec shine for the blue team. And red or strawberry blond for the red team. Might help teams tell the difference?

- Also think about how the team colors play into the design. Possibly make the buttons team colors? The lower torso is covered pretty well but the upper needs some team color to it. Especially if you go with one hair color.

- Maybe tight team colored, elbow length gloves (not the oven mits the TF2 medic has)? Maybe just team colored regular length rubber gloves? Maybe trim the hat with team colors?

It's looking great I love the body proportions!
  • kite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite polycounter lvl 17
    looking cool, i love the body shape and the design elements are sound. Maybe go back to the tf2 models though and do a side by side comparison for the colour scheme/style. i think aping their simplicity and the dark to light schema would be a very good idea, as you say it's a bit too complex at the moment. I also remember valve going through a design iteration where everything got switched from fairly diverse colours to the more unified stuff in the final game, that definitely helped link the characters together.

Spy catching nurse class with confusion role would be so awesome! perhaps she could have a makeup case she uses and it causes enemies to pause with love hearts popping out of their head.

couldn't resist a paintover, sorry :P feel free to ignore/rip out anything out that works

http://www.adventuresincommuting.com/dookie_nurse.jpg
  • Evil Krisp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    give her red lipstick because right now she looks an old lady who forgot her dentures
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    I'd like it better if she was wearing a skirt and a jacket instead of a long jacket that's sort of a skirt.
  • j4polaris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j4polaris polycounter lvl 18
    This thread is seriously inspiring me to create female versions of all the TF2 classes. :)
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
  • Zotter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like the stylized look of the hips and legs, especially for how it reads in the silhouette. The only thing that seems to bother me is perspective wise the left shoulder should be higher than the right. And the surface of the dr. shirt seems jumbled over the right breast, like there should be a clearer read-out of the surface there, I think its the pocket it's under.
  • d00kie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ LoTekK: I was actually meaning to give her a holster for her pistol instead of the nurse watch and pocket. I'll have to draw it in there.

@ tanka: Yezzir, I'm gonna put her in game once it's all said and done. First person shots and all.

@ rollin: I think I might do what was mentioned and make strawberry blonde for RED and brunette for BLU. Although I don't want to, since the uniforms and silhouettes are whats used to tell the toons apart. Gotta test it out and see.

@ Vig: The hair is still a big issue. Tonite I'll draw more finalized versions of the beehive, K and L and see how they work out being blonde and brunette. And yes, I'll be redesigning the outfit again to incorporate more team based colors in there.

@ kite: That paintover is amazing! This is definitely a direction I could look into going. You're right about my initial design being too complex, I just got carried away with it after looking at the various styles of concept art for TF2. I'l strip her down tonite and see if i can get some of the dynamic shapes you have in the paintover.

@ Evil Krisp: Yezzir, I didn't have the lipstick layer turned on when I saved that file. WHOOPSIE TOOTSIE! but yeah, she has red lipstick.

@ 8FtSpider: I think I'm going to just do the outfit over completely, work in the apron idea that was mentioned earlier and see where things go.

@ j4polaris: *turns on caps lock voice* DO EEEEEEETTTTTTTTTT! I CHALLENGE YOU! MAKE A FEMALE SPY TO BACKSTAB / MASSAGE MY NURSE! DO EEEEETTTT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW! *turns off caps lock voice*

@ Zotter: Yeah, my concepting skills are far from amateur or professional, but the perspective is off indeed. I just wanted to ger her down on "paper" and let my imagination and erocktion go nuts. see what i did there? :whyme:

Thanks so much for the comments, critiques, and eyeopeners mentlegen. I'll do another 2d version of her tonite with the help of my interweb friends and hopefully start the 3d by the end of the week. For now...it's time to go own some nubs in TF2.

streetcarp187 on STEAM if you wanna get backstabbed or KGB'd. :poly128:
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    If you have to have a syringe launcher... why not go a bit low-tek and make it a syringe crossbow? Or go overboard, and a syringe rocket launcher, with a 'magazine' of syringes feeding in from the top, like this:

MissileLauncher.jpg

...It's an old Space Marine missile launcher (shoulder mounted) from Warhammer 40k, for those that don't recognize it...
  • d00kie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still chippin away at the concept before I move forward. I always say "I'll fix it in 3d" but honestly, i just end up getting stuck and saying "I should've concepted more." So here's what I got so far. Thanks to kite again for that paintover and LoTekK's holster idea.

nurse_concept3.jpg

C&C plx. Time to play MOAR TF2!
  • kite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite polycounter lvl 17
    looks good man definitely reads much clearer. I think it would still benefit from being brighter and using the more light reds of the game though. Maybe also for the nurses apron it could follow the ref vig gave, some nice little simple visual things you could nab that would work well in tf2 - the white doubled over cloth at the edges of the apron, pink showing through from where the cloth is thinner, black buttons, red cross sign on the chest, white belt all good shorthand for the class.
    Another paintover, let me know if these are getting annoying hehe
    http://adventuresincommuting.com/dookienurse_overp.jpg
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    dooks i love ya, but, like i told ya, kite is giving you gold with his paintovers. don't fight the kite. ;)
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    There's something to be said for doing the whole shebang. If D00kie wants to do that, more power to him.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Love it. Epic Win!!!!
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    if i was you i'd charicature the luger a lot more. Simplify it and make the cocking knobs (LOLLL) much bigger and more goofy looking.

Wow, I bet a few people will be surprised by that post.
  • d00kie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @kite: Alright, alright...you SOLD me! :D
    That does look excitingly more like the TF2 style than what I had going. I was fighting against using the gray stockings (I wanted to go with more of a pyro look, but my art just isnt translating it well All the toons have gray pants/boots and she does fit in much better with what you've done. Your paintovers have shown me the glorious light. I'll do uno mas concept incorporating the deliciousness you've opened my eyes too. I cannot thank you enough...or can I? DUN DUN DUUUNNNN! *seriously, I really appreciate it*

@keelingpoople: do you love me or are you playing your love gaaaaaaaaames wit meh? Gonna finish this on Skype tonite, be there or do whatever you.

@conte: Imma goin, Imma goin... ;)

@crazyfingers: Thanks for sticking up for me. *wipes snot from nose and cleans dirt off pants* OMGJK, I'll make one more tonite and hope to inseminate Kite and mine's ideas back into the concept and produce a vivid and slightly obese finalized concept.

@Cody: grassy ass

@Harry: I actually have yet to start working on the luger good sir. It's just a place holder. But, having a gun that looked like a large scrotum with Groucho Marx glasses would be terrifying to see.

UPDATE AGAIN TONITES! :poly128:
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    yaagh :poly128: :thumbup:
  • polynormal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like the character design. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. She fits right in with the other exaggerated stereotypes of Team Fortress 2.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lookin good, I'm glad you're ironing this all out on the concept instead of pushing ahead I think its really starting to pay off. And yea Kite is rockin the paint overs. If you take anything away from it make sure to take the splatter guard apron.
  • d00kie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nurse_concept4.jpg

kk, i think this is round 4 or 5.
    Mixed and matched with Mr. Kite's ever so delightful PO, and came up with this. Too much white maybe? LET ME KNOOOOOOOOOW!

C & C plx. (I'm lookin at you kite...)
    JK JK! Everyone's input is very much appreciated, helpful, and I thank you.

After im done with this, it'll be LUGER time! JOY!
    I have NO concept of making weapons, so I'm counting on all you weapon makers to set me straight.

Time for AION!