Home Technical Talk

Best way to make yellow hazard lines

I was trying to figure out how to make the classic yellow and black hazard lines in photoshop and settled on this (majorly inefficient I bet) technique:

1. Region select with rectangle left side portion of document, fill with black.
2. Copy and paste this layer and move it so it snaps next to the original,then colour yellow. Continue till document is filled.
3. Merge layers and rotate 45 degrees.

I'm following the hard surface texturing tutorial if anyone remembers that where you have to place the hazard lines of the box and etch parts of it away etc.

If the lines are quite thin this could take a while with a big image, anyone have an easier way or is this the general method for making such things?

Replies

• Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    step 1, make new document at 50x50

step 2. Fill one half black leave the other. Select all and define as pattern.

step 3. fill above a yellow layer on multiply.

Step 4. profit
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    You can make them tiling diagonally - I used them a lot for low-res textures for Unreal Tournament , but can be scaled up.

I guess I cheat a bit, using shapes, but it's quick and works - especially if you're lazy and want a quick effect via layer blending styles for edges etc.

Most of mine end up @256^2 size anyway, so doesn't really show.

Stripes_tutorial_by_JohnnySix.jpg

'scuse spelling mistakes, whipped this up real quick. :p
  • scourgewarper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers fellas just needed a nudge in the right direction and Johnny thats a great tutorial good effort :D