Home Technical Talk

How to become a game artist?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
Hello , a simple question :) ....

how to become a Game artist ? 3d mainly :) .... whats the cursus honorum to do ?

Replies

• dyf
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    You don't need to do a special course if you don't want to.
    There are many professional game artists who have never been to university or college.

All you have to do is be a good artist, practise and learn your art, be passionate about games and just work really hard.

Let me reiterate. Work really hard. If you go to university on a Game Development or Computer Art course (personally I would avoid these), then just work really hard at it.

I would recommend instead, if you want to go to university, try to get into a fine art, drawing or illustration course. These will give you more underlying skills and you can apply this to your 3D work. Again, you will have to work really hard.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How to become a game artist?
    Be an artist first.

Considering everyone can be trained in a few weeks to use the apps who would you trust to use them to make art?

With that said it's not entirely impossible to get in with just little artistic talent. Some of the work people end up doing doesn't require a high level of artistic skill. But they would probably still hire an artist over a non artist if they had the chance.

How you get to an amazing portfolio is up to you, school, self teaching, hire a mentor, it doesn't matter. Just don't go looking for a job without one and never forget that is the goal of learning all this.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Agreed with these guys.

Also one point to remember is that although it is possible to get a job without drawing and very strong artistic abilities, if you want to make it further and not just be another mediocre game artist you need to know more than just the basics, you need to have the artistic skills to be able to innovate.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    spend a minimum of 3 hours every day reading and doing art. both in 3d and 2d.
    in 2-3 years you'll start seeing results.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    invest heavily in chapstick, kneepads, mouthwash, and practice suppressing your gag reflex.

The stuff other people have mentioned works too.

The thing about this career (and most creative careers) is that you can't fake it. You need to have a strong and varied skill set and be able to demonstrate that you are dedicated and bust your ass.

An important thing to note is that saying you are dedicated, passionate, etc, doesn't matter. That shows in your portfolio - if you are really, truly serious about doing this and driven to do it, it will show in your portfolio, and you'll never have to tell people. If you feel the need to convince people of your drive or passion you need to redouble your efforts on your portfolio because it isn't showing and you may be deluding yourself.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GOOGLE IT.
    Nah, but seriously, you'll want to practice 3D or 2D art for video games first. Most of the people here have had ALOT of experience before they went out and got internships/freelancer/on site experience. That's all I can say really. Just get good at art and build a portfolio.

I'm still a kid really and I've been doing 3D since I was thirteen so I'm still working my way up.

Anyways, good luck.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    I would really like to become a pro , more for a sort of amateur hobby , since my practice is in engeneering field but I always modded games since 22 ... now I am 30 and I feel that I miss a lot of knowledge to do what I d really like to make .... I barely know 3dsmax and photoshop , almoust nothing of zbrush , but I did some mods here and there , one like this ....

may be you can tell me if I could have some basis to improve and become a little more pro than just amateur ......

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7irr_N9HKbo[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBuvtO5RQ8U&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwAUKMkcB7s[/ame]

completely redonethe Oblivion look every stone and brik here is made by scratch more or less , same with anims etc ....
    those are my "peak" mods I guess ... I did lot of toher stuff but that seemed to peek the attention of most ...

Not sure If I am enough talented to becomemore pro , but I would like to and not sure where to begin .... I can draw and sketch fluently since childhood but never studied anything for art , I just enjoyed draw and make portraits ....
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA wrote: »
    I would really like to become a pro , more for a sort of amateur hobby , since my practice is in engeneering field but I always modded games since 22 ... now I am 30 and I feel that I miss a lot of knowledge to do what I d really like to make .... I barely know 3dsmax and photoshop , almoust nothing of zbrush , but I did some mods here and there , one like this ....

may be you can tell me if I could have some basis to improve and become a little more pro than just amateur ......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7irr_N9HKbo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBuvtO5RQ8U&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwAUKMkcB7s

completely redonethe Oblivion look every stone and brik here is made by scratch more or less , same with anims etc ....
    those are my "peak" mods I guess ... I did lot of toher stuff but that seemed to peek the attention of most ...

Not sure If I am enough talented to becomemore pro , but I would like to and not sure where to begin .... I can draw and sketch fluently since childhood but never studied anything for art , I just enjoyed draw and make portraits ....

Practice, pratice, study, research, google, ask..practice.

That's all man. Just be pationate but make it show in your work. Like all here we just spend loads of time doing 3D.