Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

BLINK

Ged
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Ged interpolator
I dont know if you guys remember this character from x-men age of apocalypse but I just thought it would be nice to have some female characters in my portfolio so heres a start on her. Just worked on the head a bit so far, the rest is still basemeshes.

blink1.jpg

there are a few pics of her on google for the curious http://images.google.co.uk/images?gbv=2&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&q=xmen+blink&sa=N&start=0&ndsp=18

Im also using the Age of Apocalypse graphic novel for reference

Replies

• Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    I'm a HUGE fan of the Age of Apocalypse time of comics. So many amazing artists popped up in that time and the storylines were simply killer and totally fresh. I still have the whole series spanning each faction affected stashed away in the closet. There are so many great re-designs of classic characters.

Good start on the character for sure man! Looks like you're going for the Kubert style? I'm a personal fan of Madureira's take on her, but your proportions are starting to shape up. I would shorten the bicep area and thin out the shoulder line as she is also lookin' quite bulky around her armpits. Give her some mass on her thighs so she has a nice taper to her legs which will help stylize her and sexy her up a bit too. Get those jelly hands under ctrl yo! i kid! i kid!

Looking forward to this one!
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Great character! My only crit (other than what Firebert said) was that Blink had a noticeable more heart-shaped face than your model - very pointy chin, and narrower jaws. Your face is more square.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Firebert wrote: »
    Good start on the character for sure man! Looks like you're going for the Kubert style? I'm a personal fan of Madureira's take on her, but your proportions are starting to shape up.

thanks for the crits guys I will probably have some more time to work on this tonight, as for the style I personally prefer madureiras take but I cant seem to find enough good reference of her in that style so its pretty hard to achieve

the image on this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blink_(comics) is the only madureira ref I have.

maybe I can work towards his style more if I can find more ref or order the rest of the AoA xmen books hehe
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    found a little time to work on this, tried to get the face a bit closer to the joe mad version and worked on the body shapes and proportions

blink2.jpg
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    Noooooo!! I liked her face a lot better before. Had character, had a nice style... Oh well, maybe just cause I'm a Madureira HATER...

She's coming along nicely, there's a few things going on with the proportions, but I'm not sure if that's a style thing or not. The knees, especially the space above the knee caps, need some more focus, style or not, they look blobby, and wonky. I'd think about moving the part of her shirt-thingie down a lot more, or... I don't know, her mid-riff area seems a bit short, but I can't tell if it's the shirt that's causing that look, or not.

Keep working on it, she's shaping up very nicely. and this is just my vote against any more Madureira influence. ;)
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i like what you did to the face imo... totally diggin' that side of it. she looked like a constipated elf in comparison to this update :poly129:
    push that style man... i feel like you're heading in the right direction as far as exaggerating the proportions, but they just feel out of whack atm... maybe bring down the hips to lengthen the torso and lower the knees to keep the thighs long. i like how your building up the thigh, but push it further. all the appendages seem very straight except for the calves which just feel too low, but can be corrected and flow better if you lower the knees... before making big changes to your geo, just do a full frontal assault and play around with the silhoutte in PS or somethin. she really just needs more curve and angles that are well balanced to add the mass... ranting like crazy fool tonight... sorry :\
  • whipSwitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whipSwitch polycounter lvl 8
    I think the other other covered most of what I saw, except the back shot of shoulders. Don't know if maybe it's just not sculpted yet, but it looks like her shoulder blades are pulling her arms out of her back.

btw, is this 3dCoat? I remember a bunch of voxel sculpts you used it for in your sketchbook, just wondering if you decided to stick with it...
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    whipSwitch wrote: »
    I think the other other covered most of what I saw, except the back shot of shoulders. Don't know if maybe it's just not sculpted yet, but it looks like her shoulder blades are pulling her arms out of her back.

btw, is this 3dCoat? I remember a bunch of voxel sculpts you used it for in your sketchbook, just wondering if you decided to stick with it...

yeah I havent worked much on her back yet, no its just mudbox 1.0 I plan on buying 3d coat but it is really hard to get voxel sculpts to be as well refined and sharp as polygon sculpts. Thanks for the crits firebert and whipswitch

Jeremy-S I might make her face look a little less guant as she doesnt look to healthy right now and will play with proportions and curves as you and the other guys have mentioned
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    sweet. I like the slight stylization going on, seems the anatomy's pushed a little in places and looks cool.
    The rib cage is lookin kindof low in both the front and back shots tho imo (or somthing that's compressing the midsection down too close to the pelvis). Mostly on the [character's] left side, tho now i'm having trouble seeing it :S

anyways, turnin out sick so far man =D
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    thanks nizza, not sure what you mean about the ribcage, might do one final detail/sharpness pass on her and then lowpoly.

Just realised comicon challenge is on and I didnt enter and Im creating a comic character anyway - DOH!!!
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged wrote: »
    Just realised comicon challenge is on and I didnt enter and Im creating a comic character anyway - DOH!!!

FAIL! now go kick yourself :poly114:
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    blink4.jpg

gonna move on to lowpoly sooon, only thing that bugs me is the hair...any suggestions to make better hair? I dont mind starting the hair over from scratch if you have a good idea?
  • Alec3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm thinking less giant thick things and maybe more smaller locks since atm it looks strange.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    i like her man.
    i especially like her hands and stomach / breasts, gimme.

i think the butt creases weird with the back of the leg.

the lats look pushed too far in, because i think when the arms come down it may pinch them in more, making them look weird. looking at blink2.jpg i try to imagine he rib cage and it just looks too tiny to balance her frame.

going to add some braids or hair ties on the tails or something? they don't come off the head right...

other than those nitpicky things, it's cool, i'd totally fuck your elf chick, untextured.
  • Alec3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople, you scare me sometimes.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    thanks alec and killingpeople haa you made we lol at work :D Alec I was going for legs like in this pic http://media.photobucket.com/image/xmen%20blink/feral_bojangles/169871-blink_400.jpg

I will see what I can do about the ribcage/lats being too small and the butt crease hehe have to go look at some reference.

No she doesnt have hair ties or anything like that so I think I will re-do most of her hair with multiple poly objects instead of my one big hair poly mesh as I have now. It needs to look sleek and thin and long hmmm might be hard to achieve.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'd totally fuck your elf chick, untextured.

that untextured bit is awesome

as for the hair Ged, i say put some bands against the skull where they braid off and then roll with it... for rigging, they'll work find where they are now... maybe put some twist in there first, refine some buldge areas, keep it stylized, and then let the texturing aid the rest.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    started on some new hair worked some of the other areas people mentioned too

blink5.jpg
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Looking HAWT, the folds look really natural!
    \Man that gastronemius is bugging my ass off.....
  • Alec3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking better on the hair.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    butt_sahib wrote: »
    Man that gastronemius is bugging my ass off.....

thanks people

whats bugging you about it? too low?
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    Ged,

so i've seen it too, but didn't really say anything for whatever reason. but i see it too, ya. so you need to try for something like this, something that's makes the silhouette more dynamic and still have balanced, logical forms, that's what's making it look strange and i'm pretty sure that's what butt is talking about.

crit_05.jpg

i'm suggesting you make it like the blue lines. the red lines are basically trying to exaggerate what i see you're doing wrong.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I yearn for the day KP deems my work worthy enough for his fantasical dual tone line paint overs. it's like having your own detail assitance program, only he lives with road runners in the dry arizona plains.

i liked where you were going with the ass before... the fold was just off the some positioning, but it had that weight to it that had the potential for some hottness and just a little saggy... get that shit right man!

yeah, the legs man, i know you are totally goin' for that style, but i agree that it needs that profile curve to make the silhouette more appealing.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    blink6.jpg

new hair hands and proportions should be better, I had trouble seeing what you guys were pointing out guess I had a big gap in my anatomy knowledge there, thanks KP and butt. Just gotta make her backpack full of shards now.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Ive been asking myself this all along but is there any cloth running under her crotch or is she going commando?

:O.

Looking kickass!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Muzz wrote: »
    Ive been asking myself this all along but is there any cloth running under her crotch or is she going commando?

:O.

Looking kickass!

lol there was originally cloth there but it didnt subdivide well so I got rid of it...yes technically she is commando :P

thanks!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    final highpoly and render for fun

blink8.jpg

blink7.jpg
  • d00kie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d00kie polycounter lvl 17
    goddamn i love that pose so much.
    the proportions are so unnaturally delightful. It makes my teeth tingle and grow.
    very inspirational work!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Thanks alot d00kie no ones ever said that before about my work :D

just about finished lowpoly now its on to uvmapping and textures
    shes quite low poly only around 6500tris at the moment. any suggestions on where to add some geometry?

blink_low1.jpg
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Why does the loincloth have poly edges? Why not just break it where it starts and then add a back face dupe of that. Much cleaner and saves you smoothing problems and polys. Polys that you should use on her ass.

Also might want to up the difference on the loops on her arms where the cloth ends and the arm begins rite now your normal map would be doing it all.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Thegodzero wrote: »
    Why does the loincloth have poly edges? Why not just break it where it starts and then add a back face dupe of that. Much cleaner and saves you smoothing problems and polys. Polys that you should use on her ass.

Also might want to up the difference on the loops on her arms where the cloth ends and the arm begins rite now your normal map would be doing it all.

never done an alphad lioncloth before so this is the way I thought would work thanks for that advice I will see if I can do it the back face way instead. as for the arms yeah thats no problem, well spotted. I thought the ass needed more shape too but I wasnt sure if that was actually necessary.

thanks.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    looking awesome dude! I'm doing blink too for my ccon as you know, about to start modeling when I get a chance, but this looks great! can't wait to see it textured. not sure how I didn't see this thread earlier! :D
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    thanks bouch! I think u need to get some more curves into your blink concept still, the colours look nice though.

lowpoly uvmaps and bake done! phew long 2 days of work :P I do realise there are still some small shading/ambient occlusion errors eg on the bum , I will sort that out :)

blink_low2.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    not sure which engine to use for this, heres some examples but Im having trouble getting 8monkeylabs toolbag to display nice shadows, especially on the alpha planes.

8monkey
    blink_low3.jpg
    xnormal
    blink_low4.jpg
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like with the posing your going to have to avoid any panty shots then :P.
    lol there was originally cloth there but it didnt subdivide well so I got rid of it...yes technically she is commando :P
    Looking really good man. Marmoset really can be a bitch with its shadows :/.

Try scaling the file you are sticking into marmoset, the shadows are affected by scale.

In the render settings of marmoset there is a show scale reference tickbox that shows a scale man.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    hey if I do a massive render in marmoset like 3000x3000 size will the shadows look better(have more density and less scratchy scattering?)?

Im thinking of using no shadows and doing a render with the skinshader in marmoset. I think it works for the style quite well, like this:

blink_low5.jpg
  • MattBradley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks good apart from the weird shadow at the top of the left leg and the lower rear calves.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    thanks for the crits matt as far as I can tell you are refering to some shapes I made in the highpoly sculpt , guess I didnt define them well enough.

Ok just looked at this again for the first time in a while and realised there are some really bad issues

1.the mesh is triangulated in a really wierd fashion, its gone non-symmetrical and has lost some of the smooth flow . I used both silo and c4d and roadkill to handle this mesh so one of those parties must have ruined my mesh :(

2. the normal map/ textures have oddly visible stepping in smooth gradients when viewed close up, like Ive converted things to 8bit that I really shouldnt have - is this maybe the cause?

some good news I got xoliuls shader working in max and it looks good and the highpoly pedestal for her is almost done
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    it still probably looks best in marmoset but xoliuls shader for max is pretty cool with all its half lambert features and rim light etc, Ive been working on the textures a bit. Also getting ready to unwrap pedestal and bake it.

blink_low6.jpg
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    thats neat dude, POSE 'ER!
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very cool. i like her pelvic thrust
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    thanks guys yeah it is quite a thrust zero haha. Heres the pedestal, just auto unwrapped but I have more projects coming in so I gotta get this outa the way and Im happy with it anyway just not done with the textures yet.

this is in max viewport
    blink_low7.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    My first time trying out the texture painting tools in 3Dcoat, painted the whole pedestal in about 3 hours purely in 3Dcoat was great fun and I added some nice normal map details in there while painting. I think perhaps the white concrete block on top of the gate post is too white.

blink_low8.jpg
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks awesome so far!

She will be posed, right?
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Muzz wrote: »
    Looks awesome so far!

She will be posed, right?

thanks muzz, yup, wanted to get the textures done before I think about posing.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    cool stuff man, really like how the face turned out on the lp.

and dude it's really hard to pick which render i like best :P (they both look cool in different ways, been having the exact same probs latley :poly122:)
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    00Zero wrote: »
    very cool. i like her pelvic thrust

I second that

I really like the stylization and painting, I could understand the exaggeration within her legs, but her forearms are way too long in my opinion otherwise it's looking great.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Might want to desaturate her a bit, especially the green.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    noted crazyfingers but I want it to still be a vibrant comic book character, kaburan yeah I learnt some more anatomy during the making of this I quite like how it came out even though I do see what you mean. thanks nizza.

posed her in transpose but its not really a great pose, its alright I guess. I have some assets to make for a mod and alot of stuff going on at work so I cant spend too much more time on this.

blink_low9.jpg