Home General Discussion

Online Identities Versus Real Life: Why Employers should/cannot ask for the other.

Replies

• demoncage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    demoncage polycounter lvl 18
    Firebert wrote: »
    The only issue I see with this is that there is a big difference between someone reading words you've written and someone hearing you say the words you wrote. Goes back to the whole idea of "It's not what you say, it is how you say it.". If I have some sort of issue or something important to discuss with my boss, I straight up walk in his office and talk for this very reason... an e-mail can be misconstrued a million different ways with a million different bad outcomes. Same with forums or blogs. Smiley gifs can be your way of saying your joking, but someone may still take it as you're being a sarcastic prick. I'm not saying that people are completely different online, but if the person reading it doesn't already know you on a personal level, there can be a lot of variances in how they think you are in real life by the way they read your posts.

QFT

you can interpret online communication in near infinite ways.

and who are these employers? are they sentient drones? wtf is this thx shit? "you must not display any negative emotions or you will be tortured with electrical prods"
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    Ruz wrote: »
    I had an interview at one company where they took me to one side and directly asked me what my political affiliations were. Totally illegal of course.
    He was a dreadful little twat of a man anyway, so I just smiled politely and just mentioned that I was n't in the hitler youth or anything.

Messed up. I actually got on someones wrong side earlier this year and didn't get the freelance job when I didn't profess undying love for Obama. The guy wanting to hire me was from Hawaii now living in CA I guess. I can only speculate as I can't confirm that was the reason but he was really nice initially. Then his attitude changed to completely ignoring me. I won't go into details.

Now I don't like Bush or McCain either but it was just kinda funny how serious some people take this stuff. His Obama praise is all over his linkedin too. Some people are just nuts. I can't believe some go to lengths of changing their middle names to Hussein too...lol

So would they believe me if I said I don't have a facebook account? Because I don't. e-mail, message boards, and chat programs are distracting enough. Don't care to waste time with any of that myspace, twitter, facebook crap. I assume that is what the password asking is for?
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I'm curious how often this happens in the game industry, most of the people I've met are very cfortable doing whatever, and as long as they are great at their job, nobody cares much about their lives outside the office.

Seems like a certain amount of it is common sense. Sites like facebook are the virtual equivalent of being in public, if you don't like it, make your profile rivate access only!