Home Technical Talk

3DSMax Key in rotation more than 360 in rotation

Krisonrik
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Krisonrik polycounter lvl 17
I always been wondering, why key in rotation in Max can never pass 360. In fact, once it pass 180, it becomes negative number. I am trying to do some animation with animation with a lot of gear rotations... and it's just mad to think I'll have to do this by manually rotating them a few hundred times. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the tip you're looking for is to use the Curve Editor, highlight the axis you're animating in the left list and slide your key up as high as you need. Need two rotations slide it up to 720, need more go higher. You'll also want to set the curve to linear unless you want it to ease in and out.

You'll drive yourself nuts if you only use the time line and keys.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, same monkey, different suit.

Probably a good idea to get familiar with the curve editor if you plan on doing anything more complex.

Edit: One other thing to mention, you can set an object to loop. So for example you have a gear and you want it to spin 360 degrees every 60f the entire time your animation is going on. You animate the turn 0-360 on 0-60f and then in the curve editor click "Parameter Curve Out of Range Types" and pick the type that works best for you.

That way you're editing one cycle not having to manage dozens.
  • iroc3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The problem is that we use to work with reference coordinates system in View, but if you change in Parent and right click in the symbol of rotation of the main tool bar, you can write 360 in the offset parent parameter and it work. I hope you can understand my english. XDD