Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Aerodynamics Lab

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Slainean polycounter lvl 18
Ok, I've been working on this on and off at a snail's pace because I'm a jerk-off. Anyway, after playing Mirror's Edge I decided I wanted to do a clean modern architecture-type environment but with a more sci-fi slant. I'm a newbie at environments, so it's been tedious.

The concept is a vehicle engineering hangar/lab of some sort.

screenshot00002bnu.jpg

These will be techy looking windtunnels but they're placeholders right now (re: Decided they look like shit). It was my plan to put some interesting machinery/vehicle here being tested but we'll see.

screenshot00003z.th.jpg

This is the control room.

screenshot00004r.th.jpg

screenshot00000g.th.jpg

I posted this truck awhile ago in the mega WIP thread. It's got some shading errors under the windows that need fixing.

I realize that everything is pretty symmetrical but that's mostly intentional. I'll try to break it up a bit more once I add more stuff.

I'll post the control room work-stations next. Some fresh eyes would be much appreciated!

Replies

• Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like this :)

Some small crits:

The platform that the little guy is standing on is very plain in relation to everything else, maybe add some paint lines around the edges at the very least like the other parts of the floor below. Or maybe add some pipes and wires hanging down from underneath of it.

The back wall under the observation deck is looking a tad plain as well, maybe it could be a large techy door where the vehicles enter and exit the room.

If those things are still in a wip stage then nevermind, I'm sure you've got your own ideas about what you want to do with the scene.

Are those little black squares on the bottom left of the pic doors? If so maybe open one of them up and have some light streaming in from a corridor beyond. That might add a little bit of interest there.

I'm not totally sold on the diffused lighting but, as I'm not all that great at lighting myself I can't offer any advice, sorry. Who knows maybe it's spot on and it's just me :poly136:

I do think adding a vehicle floating in the air between those two large cylindrical things might be cool. I imagine that they are anti gravity devices.

Anyway this is shaping up really well, good luck completing it. I look forward to seeing more.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention one more idea, in the control room are those work stations? maybe have some of them activated so that the monitors shine light behind them.

I love those glass railings in the control room btw.
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben - I should have qualified that most of the models are placeholders in addition to the tunnels, but I definitely have those improvements in mind. :)

Lighting is probably one of the most time-consuming aspects but I never had much in mind beyond "sterile white" for the lab and some sort of saturated color for the control room. I wish Mirror's Edge had come with a proper editor, too! If anything does come to mind for lighting I'd like to hear it.

And yeah, one of the major ideas from the get-go was to have a prototype vehicle being tested.

Speaking of the workstations here's the high-poly for now. Will add some glowy screens for sure, since that seem to be the thing UT3 does best.

deskshi.jpg
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    the big tube things could could use more polygons in comparison with the rest - they look to edgy.

looks very promising from the visual style, I like it
    it has the touch of 70's/80's clean scifi (with white and brown)
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Glass might be a lot thicker to withstand some of the blast me thinks? Wondering also how everything is lit so evenly.

I like it over all though.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    whats_true wrote: »
    Glass might be a lot thicker to withstand some of the blast me thinks? Wondering also how everything is lit so evenly.

I like it over all though.

the four banks of flourescent tubes and white walls maybe?

ps likin italot so far, wants something sleek and shiney being tested
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs - I'll use more segments when I remake it for sure. I was looking at some retro sci-fi stuff so I hope that comes across - something a little off beat from the usual videogame sci-fi at least.

whats_true - It's just kinda floating right now, no glass there actually. Before it was just a bare wall but I was thinking about making it partially recessed, dunno really. Also, are you asking how I lit the map or are you saying there should be more light sources? If it's the former, it's just grids of point lights and lots of trial and error.

SHEPEIRO - Thanks!

deskwip1.jpg

Texturing the workstation now. I'll probably finish it later today, then start on more control room props. I'm going to save the lab stuff for the home stretch.

I also think I might hand-paint some shadows onto the stands there, so the desks don't look like they're floating.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    I'm looking more towards it seems like you need more light fixtures to get the place to be lit up like that. I only see the ones on the top and bottom, yet I see no shadows in areas were their might be shadows if those were the main light sources.
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true - I want to sell the idea that those rows of lights around the tunnels are enough to illuminate the whole room, but I think you're right. I'm not sure where I'll add stuff in, though, since I'm making it up as I go.

Update - finished the desks and added some shadows to the stands. I'm not totally happy with the tables and the stands since any clean, solid colors tend to look untextured in games, but that is the style I originally wanted. I think the options are sorta limited without the usual wear n tear.

The workstations were looking like Xboxes so I made them black instead. I probably spent too much time fiddling with icons and things that aren't really noticeable. There's also an obvious seam down the middle of the back that I should fix.

desk2a.jpg

desk3w.jpg

entrance1q.jpg

Next I want to spruce up this entrance area. I was thinking of making a glass enclosed area with some vine flowers inside. Or it could be a hologram display - I'm undecided at the moment. The doors and wall lamps will be redone, too.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slick as fuck, maybe too slick needs something to stop it looking like architectural pre-viz maybe some coffe cups and stains on the desk, that sort of thing will sort it out
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    What engine are you doing this in?
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Man... I'd kill to make some work like this, so clean but sooo bad ass.

I'm gonna say its UE3... only because in that last screen, it looked like there is those grey and white blocks. Either way, I want to see moar!!!
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO - Yeah, definitely needs some evidence of office life. Think I'll add some little trinkets to the workstations in use. I didn't like the way it looked when I tried moving the chairs around, though, since it broke some symmetry I had going.

Thegodzero - Jason guessed it, UE3. Pretty happy using it, but with all the cool stuff people are making with Crysis lately, I'm tempted to try it.

JasonLavoie - Thanks, that keeps me going. :)
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    there are no mouses! How can they work without any mouses!?
    Looks awesome. I especially like the ceiling in the first screen. Maybe some big warning signs would give it more of a lab feel.
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 - Mice have no place in the future. From every movie I've seen, it's either buttons or gestures - take your pick. I consider signs and stuff to be pretty low priority for now, but I will get to it!

Smallish update, half-way done texturing the plants. I'm not sure what colors to make the leaves.

plants1.jpg

plants2.jpg

The idea is that they will be lit from the top and bottom, but the lighting sucks right now. More soon.
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    Wind tunnels aren't set up like that and wouldn't be very effecent with a big gap between the tubes. http://www.f1technical.net/articles/envi/images/windtunnel1.gif

I might go with some robotic arms right there. With a bunch or rubber and/or metal tubes coming off of them
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Nice job with the computer terminals, they look awesome!
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    entrance2.jpg
    plants3.jpg

Too often I just stare at the editor and read forums instead of doing something. Missing some details here and there (maybe some cameras and signs), but it's mostly there. Next thing is to add the big screens up front, maybe a big console for it, too. After that, the lab.

Jet_Pilot - Originally I was making a straight replica of a windtunnel so I saved a bunch of references, but I decided the type I wanted - the big open ones as opposed to closed chamber - aren't that advanced looking. So, like any artist I decided to make up a fancy bullshit design instead.

Right now, the idea is to make a design that appears as if it can extend/retract from the walls. I'm still considering robotic arms, though. Thanks for the crits.

Minotaur0 - Thanks! I'm kinda unhappy that you lose a lot of detail if you use anything remotely black + color correction though.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    This stuff is looking really nice!
    Very fresh and clean, yet still realistic ... I really like the direction you've taken with this.

I have to say though, the red of those leaves just looks ... wrong. It's an unnatural shade of red. I think green would probably work better here? You could try to keep them red, but you should really check out reference of ivy and other types of plants which can turn red naturally, I think generally they either tend more towards purple at the bases, or have more orange in them. Either way the red is too uniform now, IMO.
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi again.

MoP - I think you were right about the leaves, since they sorta looked like rose petals instead. I made them green again - not totally happy but good enough.

entrance3.jpg

frontview1.jpg

holo1.jpg

Blocked out the big screen up front (placeholder texture) and the console. I decided against anything ceiling mounted that might block the view too much.

Lastly, I am making an exploded-view fan hologram + finishing monitor textures. I think the hologram should have some kinda wire-frame texture to improve readability.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking smart, maybe a reflective floor with a touch of wear or dust (less reflective corners) would help, maybe even black or dark woulld make a nice offset
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have some updates I just haven't posted yet, so I'll give this a small bump before it drifts into archive oblivion. Sorry for the content-less post.
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    Looking awesome - what Shep said though, some cofee cups, papers, other detritus littered around would be good, some waste-paper bins, something to make it look like it's in use. :)
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm going to be working on this again seeing as I'm not doing much.

holo2.jpg

Here's the redesign of the hologram machine, texture not yet 100%. There will be a couple other computers on the platform with it.

hdoor1.jpg

The WIP high-poly for the hangar door beneath the control room.

lift01.jpg

A scissor lift for the testing area, floating geo and all. The high-poly is good enough for now, unwrapping my low-poly model.

I moved the scene over to the UDK when it came out, but I think the new lighting may not really work for what I imagined. It could be that I just don't know my way around it yet, but the results are ugly enough that I'll either relight everything or stick with the old UT3.

lighting1.jpg

Right now it looks like the top screen, but I think I might try for something more like the second screen, which is how it looks in lighting only mode.

The lack of vertex lighting also created a bunch of seams between modular props - gotta look into that.