Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Silent Hill inspired dungeon WIP

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
for this environment. im trying to achieve the silent hill atmosphere that made it so moody. this is suppose to be the entrance to the dungeon with a gate thats activated by lighting up the 2 torch. For this i will try to have animations of the gears turning, fire, and gate opening.

here goes

3625637906_f2daeb5bc4_o.jpg

3625542404_c6f43ed15f_o.jpg

3624819467_77d19ecfef_o.jpg

3625663768_50438674f4_o.jpg

3625732844_88d4a38ffd_o.jpg

Any C&C welcomed.

Replies

• jacob07777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jacob07777 polycounter lvl 14
    Oh that post with the skulls is lookin sweet man, not too much to comment on yet till you get some more stuff in there. Keep it up
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jacob07777: thanks.

heres a little bit more stuff

3666415708_fdcee79dd8_b.jpg

3665413793_35a96690ce_o.jpg

textures still need polishing. so bear with it for now.
  • natetheartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    natetheartist polycounter lvl 9
    I like the idea. I'll wait to see it a little more finished before i pick at it :p

The gears are cool and very silenthillish, but i feel like you need varying sizes and mechanics. Right now they don't really make functional sense, as they're all turning the same thing. I would expect a chain connecting one gear at the top to one at the bottom, rather than a huge series of the same gear. (that said) i think you should definitely keep them, just vary thier sizes and do something unexpected with them.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    are you planning on making this scene in game or just a render?

if its in game start setting up a basic zone with lighting

if its a render get a max viewport shader to work with

also set up your lights in scene

also dont be afraid to ADD polys to your low poly, you stones on your column are rather boxy shapped and are obviously having some shading group problems (go to the technical section about normal mapping to see ways to fix that , but its a REALLY easy fix)

also take 1 or to of those boxes on your column and add a bevel/chamfer to it make it a bit more round,

also dont be afraid to take 1 or 2 and cut some holes into them give it some variety.

Really sell your model and try to make things that are modular look NON modular !

I hope this helps, looking forward to more!
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Like the skulls :) Not too sure about the layout though, have you drawn up a floor plan or do you have some refs of actual levels in Homecoming or other Silent Hill games?

Have a few possible ideas;
    Make the cogs bigger so they look sturdy enough to open that big door.

Inset skulls into the centre of the cogs and make the eye sockets of the skulls glow as they rotate!

Hook up something between the mechanism and door that prooves this is not just for show, maybe a thick greasy chain.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    natetheartist: yeh i get wut u mean. i will have to revise the mechanics.

seforin: it would be great if i could take it in game. but setting up animation and effects is a hassle in unreal imo. so most likely it will be a video render.

I definitely notice the boxy look even more since u mention it, cuz b4 i was so caught up optimizing. I will redo those pillers.

GCMP: glowing skull is definitely a great idea, i have only a few good silent hill ref. other than that there isn't really much ref for environments(or maybe im bad at looking for ref)

i don really have a drawn floor plan, its mainly sketches of the objects in the scene. I find that when I use top down floor plans I tend to make object placement boring. I started with general shapes in max and did the floor plan there.

i do have a bicycle chain in the scene for the mechanism, but i need to rig it first.

thanks for all the suggestions it was really helpful. stay tune for more updates.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    revised mechanic for the door:

I tried to make it more believable and mix up the parts. hope u can understand the pic.

3673476393_c9abaa5085_o.jpg

now another problem arises. which is whether i should animate the belt or animate the texture.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    The models are looking really good, Kelvin! :) Keep it up, get that scene done!!!
    Not sure which you should animate, though I might go with the actual belt. But then again, that might also be because I'm not sure I remember how to animate textures lol :P

Go with whatever you think will be easier for you, and look better :) (Or what will look better... even if it isn't easier lol)
  • torontoanimator
    Good progress kelvin :) i never saw that mechanical door so thats a cool addition. I definitely think you should animate it because you could either start or end the video with that, itd look pretty neat!

p.s. hi meredith! do you have any work i can see? i havent seen a post from you in a while.
  • Mechadus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    revised mechanic for the door:

now another problem arises. which is whether i should animate the belt or animate the texture.

Id do both - Animating the texture would be a lot easier to get the effect that the belt is going around the sprockets, but you can also animate a little "belt wobble" into the mesh to make it awesomeness

-N!
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks meredith, i will finish it even if u didnt say that.

hey josh havent seen u on polycount for a while.

mechadus: "belt wobble" is a great idea. thanks

update:

3698418497_e42a426e81_o.jpg

3699229046_79255035fa_b.jpg

3699229280_23524124ff_o.jpg

3699229436_946f5a4a5b_o.jpg
  • SomberResplendence
    I think the gears are fantastic. Gears behind the environment is an iconic image to me in Silent Hill. Another idea is that Silent Hill has a way of blending the organic and mechanical together. Are you planning on adding any organic elements to the scene? Can't wait to see it with proper lighting!
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks Somber. yes i was thinking of adding black murky web as alphas (ie the black stuff covering the ghost in silent hill 4) after everything else is done.

i need help on deciding the best approach to unwrapping this gear.

3710739938_35d6cba133_o.jpg
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Ahh it's really coming on, love the archway, has alot of character, will keep watching for updates :thumbup:
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    help plz for the approach for unwrapping the gear
  • torontoanimator
    ive been creeping around dude :) checking out work, getting ideas for my newest enviroment piece which im gonna be posting shortly, also i really like the gears, i just wish i knew more about SH so i could really see the similarities, ive only ever seen the movie, though the movie really kicked ass!
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    This is one way to go about the mapping for this piece...

unwrapEXAMPLE.jpg

btw the big wheel looks a bit too high poly maybe depending on how many of these you want to place and how far away the cam would be.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    What would help with the mapping too is if you deleted the faces that intersect with the gears, particularly the arms and perhaps the bottom of the center cylinder if it doesn't protrude through the other side.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    A note about Silent Hill environments: They took things that were familiar and made them disturbing and twisted.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gcmp: thx for the detailed diagram. yeh it is high poly for a low poly. well there is 4 of these in the scene. the approach u gave was wut i was thinking of, but i hesitated becuz the amount of welding needed afterwards and also texture seam problems that will arise.

kaburan: i deleted those faces already. but thanks anywayz

lamont: i kind of get wut u mean. but how do i translate that into my environment?

EDIT:

which one is better way of optimizing

3718626442_4a296f7aba_b.jpg
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sculpted the bricks on the gate:

3731221790_7856cf0c4c_b.jpg
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Like how it's coming on :)

Not sure what texture seam problems you talk of?

The only one area that could possibly hold problems with this method is the central cylinder, that is only if you are going to use the same texture all over it which probably wouldn't look very good.
    ^This is presuming you not going to bother sculpting a high res mesh out of these gears for normal maps?
    -
    If not then this mapping would work but if so you could always pelt-map everything, this being quicker as you most likely know but not so friendly on uv space.
    -
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GCMP: thanks for watching this thread.
    the seams that i was talking bout is since the cogs are repeated there will be a seam on the area that the cogs get attach to the main cyclinder. so if a were to fix this the whole edge of the main cyclinder would have to consist of the same texture(normals/colour/detail).

hope im makin sense.

update

i think 3dmax does not like me. because i don no y im getting this NRM lighting error
    the door part is compost of boxes with 1 smoothing group when i RTT the NRM.

3750656340_19dcb550ff_b.jpg

3750656760_544740e509_b.jpg
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anim test for the door mechanism

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15227135@N07/3769126935/

my question is how to set the wire parameter for the bottom gear so that it turns the opposite direction.
    3769944348_bf390f7843_b.jpg
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    less triangles + easy to unwrap + better shape definitions = win

win.png

i say the easiest would be to model and texture a couple -4 or 5 or so- of the lightblue parts, copy and rearrange them on a straight line and then apply a bend modifier

then model 2 or 3 of the pink curvy things and rearrange them and rotate them by hand(more precise result then bend modifier)
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    If the brown gear and the smaller grey gear have the same number of teeth then its just GreyGear.RotationY = brownGear.-RotationY.. ie just put a negative sign in front of the Y_Rotation on the brown gear's side
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader: thx but i already unwrap it

Vailias: thx, i would have never decipher it without ur help. cuz i never learn expressions in wire parameter or max script. my school didnt really prepare us enough.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Sweet, you got the anim running nicely, this scene is looking promising:thumbup:
    I think Lamont was describing the mixing of the pure with the unpure, for instance a statue of the virgin mary holding a scythe or dagger with an angry look on her face while wearing an inverted cross. Ok I'm sick but you get the idea, taking things that are familiar, pure and safe to us and mixing them with things we consider unsavoury, demonic and dangerous.

Ps: Have an idea for your door, the two crosses either side look like floating geom so working with that;

Make a chain that appears to run through the brick, centre of the crosses and finally through the eye sockets of the demon skull. Pin the chain with a couple of looped brackets so it follows the arc of the door opening but is able to move.
    This could play a role in the door opening mechanism then you wouldn't have to have a direct link between both mechanisms which could proove messy.

Just an idea!
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GCMP: your ideas are great, Ill try to incorporate that. for the door I will add the chain that goes thru the skull. thanks for giving so much useful advice.

update:
    3795429595_b6276abc78_o.jpg
  • torontoanimator
    the texturing is look pretty good good kelvin! keep it up
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    initial lighting setup.

3837657476_8e86ffc919_o.jpg
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    A great start. The lighting in SH is lit a little strange. For one, when you are in the "evil world" the subjects are lit individually to give suspense added with player perspective lighting. The lighting in the game not only guided you, but scared the shit out of you. Take a look at modern Japanese horror movies. American remakes of the ring don't count. I can list a few good ones when I get back to my computer.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont: great suggestions, i will study the japanese horror movies closely.

bone sculpt
    3847401190_557701bdd6_o.jpg
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    statue pillar thing( I do not no the proper term to call this)

3853005646_4fbd34fd8d_o.jpg
    3852999722_f8d1fe8910_o.jpg
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    can someone shed some light as to how the reflective bloodpool in this image is created.

saw_2_web.jpg

the reason i ask this is because i want to replicate the same effect.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Maybe cubemaps? or reflection maps?

A tip on the lighting, if you want a spooky, harsh scene, try lighting the scene from below and make sure the shadows are hard. Really helps to sell the scene.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark: ic gee thanks

can anyone elaborate on the process to creating the reflective bloodpool whether its in unreal or max.
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Just taking a shot at it, but it looks like cubemap on a alpha decal plane. http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/MaterialsTutorial.html scroll down to Environment Maps to see how to set them up, and then I guess, just plug in your alpha mask in the opacity mask node in the shader
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    It could of been rendered in mental ray or some other rendering engine or is it a screen shot from something?
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alexk: thanks for the link

Jet_pilot: im planning on either render or screenshot in max

update
    3920462167_da430dc94c_o.jpg
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    for reflections in max, in your reflectivity channel of your material, click on the map slot and from the list select "raytrace". then make sure to turn on raytracing in the render settings and you're done.
    refstep1.jpg
    refstep2.jpg
    refstep3.jpg
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    p442: thanks for tips. I will try that.

i need advices on how to add to the texture for the statue pillar in the last post?
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    second attempt at lighting

3982479372_178c19b77b_o.jpg

3981717065_6189d4508a_o.jpg

3982480556_d033746898_o.jpg
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias wrote: »
    If the brown gear and the smaller grey gear have the same number of teeth then its just GreyGear.RotationY = brownGear.-RotationY.. ie just put a negative sign in front of the Y_Rotation on the brown gear's side

sry it gave me a syntax error when i input this expression. help plz?
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    The lighting is too flat, in my opinion. It looks outside on an overcast day rather than an underground dungeon. If you have an area light or ambient light, I would turn it down a lot or just get rid of it altogether. Also, you should really show the flames of the torches if they are a light source. What is the main light source? The torches or the blue shiny light from the heavens? You need to pick one.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Final:

Scene flythru:

http://vimeo.com/7436423

dungeon_room_render01low.jpg

scene_showcase01.jpg

dungeaon_roomlrender02low.jpg

modular01_render_final01.jpg

modular02_render_final01.jpg

thank you for everyones critiques and help. im glad that im finally done. well I was actually done 2 weeks ago.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Nice job, congrats on the scene, flythrough is cool beans :D
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message