Home Technical Talk

Clean hard edges for stuff n' things

ericdigital
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
I imagine this is seemingly simple but I suppose I really just haven't done anything besides organic stuff in a while and this has been something kinda bugging me.

I just modeled out this quick helm to try and assist along here.

helm.jpg

Say this is a base helm I want to use for a high poly, but I want to maintain the hard edges of the cut out area. Obviously just sub dividing rounds it out so what is the best way to have something like a cut maintain shape? Throwing tighter edge loops at it gives you hard seams where you don't want them, unless you start with it close and then spread it out, it gives weird shading error like the middle helm. Which is kind of the same result I get by using two loops and terminating them with a cute little triangle as well. While something like the two above examples work fine for a flat surface it falls apart on something round. Maybe I approached it complete ass backwards, that's where you come in!

So any tips from you hard surface guys on how you approach areas like this would be greatly appreciated, especially when the intention is to bring it into a sculpting package.

Thanks doods!

Replies