Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Environment: Street Fighter Stage

bluekangaroo
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
Well heres what I've been working on recently. After falling in love with Street Fighter 4 I thought it be a neat idea to take one of the old stages and recreate them in 3D. So I decided to go with Alex's Stage (New York Alleyway) from Street Fighter III: New Generation. I'm just about ready to plow through the textures on this. Theres still a few more props I need to import/create but its more or less ready to be textured. The ground of course is missing, I think I'll just create it using the terrain feature with a tileable texture and a bunch of decals to break up the repeats/add interest.

Its pretty faithful to the original as you can see by the ingame shots, and the concept art. There are a couple things I added, and changed for cosmetic reasons, but yeah I tried to stick pretty close to the original concept. I dont know how happy I am with the bricks, I think right now theyre fine as a placeholder, but as I begin to texture Ill probably do something else...

full01.jpg

full03.jpg

main01.jpg

rightbld01.jpg

nyrecords01.jpg

and the screens and concept...

screen01c.jpg

screen03x.jpg

concept.jpg

and of course comments and critiques are very much appreciated. Its alright I can take whatever you got. I don't care even if you use those whips over on the wall

151111__mel_l_1.jpg

Replies

• quyeno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quyeno polycounter lvl 17
    thats really excellent work mate. i think you've captured the feel of the original very well, it even feels like SF4. I think the bricks look ok tbh but its hard to say until you get the diffuse and spec on it but so far it looks like its inkeeping with the original style. My only crit is the furthest background building (the stripey one) needs something in front of it in the space between those two apartment style buildings....maybe an alley style wall with some clutter...this should help blend in that area. At the mo i think it feels a bit empty.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks man. yeah the space you're talking about I fully agree with you. After assembling the scene something didn't feel too right about that spot. The ref and in game shots get away with it, but Ill have to fill it with some interest
  • turpedo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    turpedo polycounter lvl 12
    Looks cool I like it a lot, my only critique are the bricks on the wall where the car is parked in. In the reference they look bigger, try to scale them more vertically.
  • Mark.N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That looks great man, good job capturing the essence of the old level and bringing it up to SF4. I think the bricks are more or less fine when compared to the originals, maybe make them a bit more fat and round, but otherwise they're ok.
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    Nice job! Awesome idea.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dig! I hope the textures come out awesome as well!
    I just wanted some floor. looks like its floating in the air. ::D:D:D
    what style you gonna go with the textures?
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    probably photo ref with some hand painting for the textures...will take me way too long to hand paint the entire thing
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Coooool!
    It didn't click a SF to me the first time, but that's because I played Second Impact only once. I really can't wait to see the colors! Working from such a good base will sure give great results. Great pick, great art challenge!

Do you know if the pencil rendering is an actual Capcom production asset? I guess it dates back to days when tablets weren't that common. Making a rainbow colored pencil sketch like that sure sounds like a nice way to start a digital painting!
  • GOBEE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GOBEE polycounter lvl 10
    I'm not a huge fan of SFIV but this is really well done man. It's great inspiration for me. Can't wait to see the finished product.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The pencil drawing is a Capcom drawing yes! I have it even in the the all about/art book for the game. Its a really unique, style you dont see a lot thats for sure...hard to tell in that picture, but the originals look like they were coloured using crayons!

thanks as well guys, lots to texture here...should be fun to see what i come up with
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    haha looking cool, wanna use my ue3 street fighter shader I made?

pm me and let me know dude :)
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks nice! I like the damage on that big pipe. Looking forward to seeing this textured.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    hey Eric. watsup? Its Kelvin. nice environment u got there. cant wait to c it textured.
  • Steveo53
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very nice work you got there! texturing it should be fun :p
  • vladino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vladino polycounter lvl 15
    Seen this on your website. Excellent start! Looking forward to seeing this thing textured and ligt-up :)
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking really good. The one thing that jumps out at me is the difference in brick scale between the wall with teh tunnel in it and the other building.

Other than that, I'm looking forward to the textures!
  • wisebrownmonkey
    I was thinking of doing a street fighter level after playing street fighter 4. But to much on my plate at the moment. Actually some guy over at zbrush central made Guile in Zbrush
    http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=067823
    This level reminded me of it. Great work though.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey whats up kelvin, seen your posts before, welcome to the community

alright this has been bugging me a lot, figure i've got a better chance of having this question answered here as opposed to technical talk since more eyeballs frequent p&p...

the aliasing in the editor and even when you play in editor is looking pretty shit as i point out below.

badaliasing.jpg

Now I tried fixing this of course by going into the Nvidia control panel

nvidiactrl.jpg

but it doesnt change anything even with with 8x or 16x AA

I then came across this thing while browsing the epicgames ut3 forum

http://www.nhancer.com/

its suppose to over ride the original controls or you get better controls or smthn like that to enable you to get some pretty AA. but It wont let me install it without the latest microsoft .net framework (3.5) which i cant install I believe because I have a pirated copy of windows =/

so yeah, im stumped
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dont enhance the application. force the AA on that bitch
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow threads get bumped a lot quicker now these days it seems,,....I was/am without internets for a bit

Just wanted to give an update on the where Im at...wip03l.jpg

I added some height fog at the bottom which I think in the end will look pretty neat...I'll probably use an actual cloud/fog texture to do it. Also added some post processing to tint this thing...just a preference here.

and just a few random props....average texture size is 512 and 1024 throughout the scene

props.jpg
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Great Props bud! My only crit is the fence is maybe a bit too gray. Just a tad bit more color could spruce it up. Keep up the great work, this is a very ambitious project I must say.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks man, it is a bit ambitious but I gotta get faster and more used to just cranking this stuff out, I feel bad I didnt take part in Unearthly so you could say this is my make up/prep for the next one...
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    dude sick work great job!

and if you need a partner for the next unearthly hit me up :P haha
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just a small update, I didnt have a lot of time to work on it yesterday...

I'm still playing with the lighting and post processing...I know I should probably leave that until all my texturing is done but I cant resist. I just want to find the right mood for the scene...going for an nightime/moonlit effect. Let me know if you think I'm heading in the right direction with this peoples...I also used a volumetric light cone courtesy of the folks at Epic. Added some distance fog, plus a plane with a fog texture on top of the height fog just for the right amount I'm looking for.

wip04.jpg

wip05.jpg

and heres a custom Grafitti I created from scratch, obviously the same as the original. I just drew it, scanned it in then colored in photoshop then added some spray paint streaks and what not to it... I like how it turned out :)

newyorkgraf.jpg
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    w00t, more stuff to add to my ericV folder (i'm srs, there's an ericV folder right here on my desktop ^_^)

Modelling is looking tits so far and i like where the lighting's at, is pretty grey and dull tho (could use with some more colour mebbe). I really liked all the green postprocessing from that shot in your last post.
    Think the floor fog is a bit heavy but might have to wait till textures be done to comment.
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    Hey man
    modelling wise it looks nice, no real crits (though the mortar in the bricks is a little distracting, I suppose that's just something to address when you texture!)

The main problem I see right now is in your first lighting pass, the alley and streets in the distance actually seem to have focus to me, they are brighter than the foreground scene (I know this actually happens, but not so sure about it here?) I think some of it is to do with detail density too, in the foreground you've got those bricks I mentioned darkening things but the background quite rightly doesn't.

Of course it all comes down to preference, just something to think on. Looks really solid so far. (PS how is shader complexity with all that fog and overdraw?)
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow thank yous Nizza! Its an honor to have my own folder on some1 else machine =D
    glad some1 thinks I'm folder worthy!

yeah I think you're right about the fog...probably a little too intense right now, I'll have to play with it some more

@Alex

I'm glad you caught focus and lighting on the buildings in the background. I added a sligghht dof with post, Its subtle, and with the lighting and the fog its not as noticeable. Sometimes when you look at something for long enough to tend to miss a few things, good to always get a another set of eyeballs to check it over. I agree the bg does look a lot brighter, I think whats happening here is because the forgeground is textured you're getting that effect. Just went over the lighting again and adjusted some radius's...the background is definately recieving less lighting than the foreground

I'm also glad you mentioned the shader complexity on that fog, right now its all red...now I know this is bad for a playable level, but just as a background I can live with it. I'm curious how would you go abouts fixing this tho? and what is causing it to be red??
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    in this case it's the amount of overdraw due to the amount of unlit translucency type effects, I think. Anything soft transparent (ie anything that's see through, and NOT opacity-masked) will cause overdraw and the more layers of it, the more complex it gets. To see this in action, place a row of those light beams, one in front of another, and notice the step up in complexity as the beams overlap each other.
    Building lights sometimes gets rid of a lot of the shader complexity as theres no longer any real light sources (aside from any dynamic lights for characters etc) but in the case of unlit translucencys it will still be quite high and pushed further

way around it is to just not make things so expensive (or crunch them down when they are further away) It's normally unavoidable when using volumetrics though.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Any updates? been really eager to see something new :P
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    Seconded, I love the style of this. Crank it out Eric!

Oh dude, you should throw the PC graffiti wall in the background somewhere! :D
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    ZackF wrote: »
    Seconded, I love the style of this. Crank it out Eric!

Oh dude, you should throw the PC graffiti wall in the background somewhere! :D
    I second that. PCstall that thing! Pre-sanitation preferred! :)
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey sorry guys, I took some time off this. Been looking for work, ANY work out there....i know I dont need to tell any one how bad it is out there...but yeah, I need food and money. but the good news is I got internet again I can resume work! XD
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    EricV wrote: »
    hey sorry guys, I took some time off this. Been looking for work, ANY work out there....i know I dont need to tell any one how bad it is out there...but yeah, I need food and money. but the good news is I got internet again I can resume work! XD

Good luck man. I'm in the same boat.