Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My first LowPoly

Hello everyone.
This is my first post and my first attemp to work seriously on 3d.
I would like to know what you think about it.
It's a human model for a game i'm working on with unity 3d. I used blender to build all the models.

firstmodel090508.jpg

I would appreciate any comment also regarding "Polycounts" since it's targeted to work on low profile machines. LowPoly must be the path. I also added some zooms on cirtical areas for riging like arms and legs. Let me know what you think.

Now something about me. I studied stop motion and traditional animation but ended working as a designer and programmer. Now I'm trying to mix both areas working on 3d games :)

I hope all the work let me continue with this.

Cheers,
Sangles

Replies

• ApprenticeEverything
    hey this is pretty good for a first try! well done! i really dont know if i can give you any helpful crits because im just starting too, but just from looking id say watch out for the fingers... theyre looking kind of thick.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Hey mate.
    Looks like a good start - you've got the basics of modelling deformable geometry down.

The first thing I'd recommend you do is find yourself some reference pictures of human anatomy. You'll find it much easier to get a sense of the structure of limbs and the like. At the moment your guy is still pretty boxy. Perhaps draw yourself some concept art so you have areally clear idea of what you're trying to do.
    He's also very low poly. Games these days get up into the tens of thousands of polys for characters. Even on a DS game you'll usually have plenty more polys to play with than that. Try going for 3-400 if you want to stick with the super low poly.
  • sangles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments.
    Although is my first 3d video game i'm quite literate on 3d. It has been my passion for years but must make some bucks programmig :P

Jackablade: In fact the artwork is quite boxy too. But not completly final yet. We are changing characters and writing the story. At this point i needed a prototype body to test rigging and animation on game.

I'll post an update as soon as we move on.

The main character will be fighting a horde of 20-50 enemies. 400 tris each is ok?

Thanks again,
    Sangles
  • vj_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3d.sk should help u in getting some proper anatomy refs.It would cost u though for hi-res pictures.

Vj