Home Technical Talk

3d max - What are your ideas to unwrap this?

This is a simply object from spline-line (5-sides). Have you got some good ideas to unwrap it correctly for texture?
I would like to have some nice script that allow me to unwrap it by one or two clicks ;)
qqwq.jpg

Replies

• ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    lofted spline will automatically generate UV's for stuff like that?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Splines have a "generate UV" coordinates check box, it gives GREAT unwrap for this kind of thing. Most of the time you only have to scale it horiz for it come out perfect.

If you already converted this over to Edit Poly without the UV's, click an edge, hit loop, click "create shape" this will create another spline and this time you can check on the UV Box.

In 2009 there is a "spline" unwrap option, it allows you to pick a spline that runs along a shape, if you need a spline use the same trick as above.

Lastly you have some soft rounded corners that are interpolating, with it as a spline go into the vert mode, highlight them all, right click in the viewport and in the upper left quad menu change it to corner.
  • michi.be
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    michi.be polycounter lvl 17
    do it like Vig said or use pelt mapping :)
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Or you could have modeled it flat then unwrapped it, and use the path modifier to make it curve along the spline I believe.

There was something like this that I saw in the Eat3D videos he did, but I don't think I used it before. I have to go back and see what he did again. He used it on the rebar I'm pretty sure.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yep that's a good idea, PathDeform(WSM) Modifier at the top of the list. There is a regular PathDeform but it will only bring pain and frustration.

You can also use a path constraint.