Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Squirrel game development

Hello

I'm starting this thread to follow some of our game making process. It's a game about a squirrel terminator who is sent by humans to infiltrate and destroy the last known squirrels on the planet. The game will be a side scrolling shoot'em-up platformer but with 3D graphics (using Ogre3D as graphics engine).

The game has been in development for over two years and has progressed very slowly but I think we finally have a good basis on which to build it. I'm responsible for making concept art and modelling levels at the moment and I'm hoping to get the concepts to the point where they could be easilly used by other artists too... So far I'm having some trouble getting it in balance.

Anyways, here's some of the work so far:

Enemy concept
badger1.jpg

Main characters concept
characters1.jpg

Level 1 surface concept
mittakaava_ekakentta1.jpg

Squirrel bunker conept
mittakaava_taktinen_luola.jpg

Level modelling
oravatekstuurit.jpg

Replies

• BUSYROBOT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the look of the enemies. But you gotta ask yourself, what makes this enemy, an enemy. I mean besides its sinister look, what is its main weapon. And why is your main character terminating them? What makes the character design unique to other boss types and/or other enemy NPC's? When I first glanced at it I thought to myself, oh wow, it looks like it'd be able to scamper really fast towards you and blow up causing crazy amounts of damage. But then again, I'm not sure what the machine on his back is for so I can't really make that assumption. So yeah, figure out and establish a main weapon in your concepts.

I like your squirrel bunker concept. I think it needs more though. It might be hillarious to stack a pile of Nutt shells in random areas. Design and place in more make-shift appliances in the immediate foreground and background. What I mean by "make-shift appliance" is the fact that you can put a old broken down looking refrigerator that has an engine from an old Pontiac Lemans stuck to it and when you open it, it functions as a giant nutt cracker. I like the direction that your going with with the maps on the walls. I think you can push the concept more with a bunch of pictures all over certain areas...clutter it up. I mean, the ideas are endless. GOOD LUCK!
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Fantastic lighting in the environments, can't wait to see more. =D Characters feel more like fluffy tailed cats to me though, I think it's mostly in the face is where I'm getting that vibe from. Only squirrel game I can think of is Conkers for reference....