Home Technical Talk

bind modifier for C4d working on child meshes?

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
hawken polycounter lvl 19
I have the following hierarchy in C4d, seems fairly logical and I can get single meshes deforming just fine;

pu9n6.png10f2hs9.png5aq4vc.png

however - I have no idea how to deform multiple child meshes using bind.

I tried binding the bones and the shoes together and my shoe just flew off at some arbitary angle when using the controllers, like so:

dec1x.png9j2cuw.png

I was just wondering what the correct procedure is for this? The axis of my shoes is relative to the floor, as is the axis of the legs. The reason I want separate meshes is to swap them out (shoes, hats, gloves etc) modularly in game.

Joints have proved very simple in C4d, I just can't get my head around binding hierarchies of meshes.

Replies

• System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    hmm, well, this is similar to a question i've seen before, the character you are working on is not made of one mesh, and this causes a problem in c4d, a multi object character similiar to this one is usually rigged using inverse kinematics and a bit of ik, to be honest you best option is probably to combine the mesh together, use the same joint set up, and re-bind.

check out these two threads, here and here on c4dcafe not to point you somewhere else, but the problem you are talking about is discussed :)

that being said i might be talking out my arse, and someone else might have a better answer for you :)
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Ah, need to keep it modular so no single mesh unfortunately.

Figured it out though, I needed to make the hierarchy a little different and place the feet, hands etc inside the null all at the same level in the tree. Working quite well now:

3470000539_886ca52ffb.jpg