Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Jungle Dungeon WIP

Replies

• bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    I love those skulls, Im wondering could you post a screen(s) of the material instructions to create the parallax effect....I always had trouble making that look good
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
    thanks for the compliments guys. Eric here is a shot of the expressions. I commented it the best i could for you.

matexpressions.jpg
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    Man that's a lot of plugging in. I'm a newbie at Unreal and just looking at your material setup makes my head hurt.
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Man that's a lot of plugging in. I'm a newbie at Unreal and just looking at your material setup makes my head hurt.

Yeah, my brain died a little too.
  • vj_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good planning on this one Virtuos! Appreciate your efforts on these with constant eye for detail as well. Keep em coming!
    When you complete this,send us a copy of the cooked level if possible,we will spin it out and spot more errors :). Just kidding. But ya,it would be gr8 if you could publish this level for all of us!
    Vj
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Virtuosic, cool skulls and neat idea for that multilayer parallax. Thanks for sharing your material setup.
  • super_villain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    super_villain polycounter lvl 11
    That is some really impressive work.
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys :-D

here's some more high poly goodness

Pq4hyQi.jpg
    image.php?v=Pq4hyQi
  • Jack Daniels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is that some crazy gun barrel sticking out of the skulls mouth or it going to shoot water out? Looks cool.
  • RickFX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that is a sickly great deathtrap! :)
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Hi I have a question with the material setup for the skulls, is the panner hooked up to simulate animated shifting with the skulls in your normals?
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack - The barrels will be shooting little darts - atleast that's what my project lead wants it to do...

Kaburan - The panner is hooked up with a constant for Time. it just offsets the texture on the behind layer of the parallax map so that it doesn't look like an echo of the front layer. Nothing is really moving on this material at all.
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Hey man that dart shootin pillar is looking good, but the matcap you have on it really makes it look insanely noisy.
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahoy.

Started throwing down some color. Texturing isn't my strength so any pointers I can get here would be appreciated.

52909-1.jpg

52909-2.jpg
  • Razorb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    i really like it so far : ) but i think it needs some variation in the lighting... for instance the floor is just as bright as the ceiling.. plus all the way down the path its the same values... just break it up a bit ... good stuff !
  • HellMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HellMark polycounter lvl 18
    I like the mood you are starting to get. The lights are reading way too hot at their source though.

When you get to it later you can add more interest in the long views to break up the scene. Perhaps some additional vegetation, broken rock, maybe even some detroyed statues that time or battle has affected. Instead of just having the setting think of a story for this area that would add interest to it and bring it out in your art.

Keep going. You're doing well.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great stuff, however the lighting doesn't feel complete. I think you can add a lot more especially with bounced light and shadows that could get cool light to balance your warms. (ie the left corner of the bottom screenshot is very dark) It's looking great man.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    wut is Lerp? im a newbie to UT3 shaders.
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!... Yea you are right... i think i'm going to have to go back to the lighting i had before, because right now there really isn't anything that I can think of to balance out the lighting besides sunlight. I'll have to lower the intensity of the torches though.

what do you guys think about different color fire? like a bluish fire?
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    oh snap, I hadnt checked the thread in a while....thanks a lot for posting that screenshot Virtu...appreciate it!
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey fellas, quick update! got a chance to throw some colors (or lack there of) down. Changed the lighting a bit, working on volumetrics and final textures currently. I also added a light flicker for all the torches, so there wont be anymore static torch light :-D

6509-1.jpg
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those hanging ivy branches look like their glowing, maybe tone them down a little.

Volumetrics will look really nice, looking forward to seeing it with those.
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good man! Second toning down the ivy and upping the overall contrast, get some more darks in there maybe.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Great progress you got, the lighting is really coming along. Just a few suggestions:

The lighting's a bit too symetrical between the two hallways where the face statue is. Even just a slight hue shift, maybe intensity shift too, for the lighting for one of the hallways would help to break up the repeated assets and add more variety to the render. Maybe one of these halls leads outside and more light is getting in on that side...

The Light at the end of the tunnel seems a little too mid-tone. Again this area could use a bit more hue, and i'd either cut the light a bit or bump it up. The flat greys kinda killing an overall great scene. But i do understand this is a work in progress and you guys probably just haven't filled the scene yet.

Consider droping the intensity on your blue fill light, and adding a second one that shines directly upwards, and put it below your scene, taking shadows off. This will give you a broader range on your dark tones and add a slightly more sinister mood to the scene.

Lastly, i was looking through your thread and saw the initial concept for the fire, and it totally looked like a tongue coming out. It was bitchen! Is there any way you could replace the particle effects with a fire that looks more like that tongue? It could slowly move about and look really creepy and sinister.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Looking good man! I'm with everyone else on the toning down of the ivy, looks too bright. Also, what happened to making those head's water fountains with the......oh nevermind :)

Can't wait to see the volumetrics, should really add some life to your current setup.
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More screens.

Accomplished: volumetric lighting, full color, light flickers.

Planning: More Flora, debris, more achitectural meshes

Soom more high poly stuff coming soon.

6809-1.jpg

6809-2.jpg
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    Virtuosic wrote: »

101109-1.jpg

from this angle those mouths look like cocks on fire.

. . . .or is it just me?
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fantastic progress man
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck... they are in fact... giant flaming cocks. you caught me.

Anyways, some more progress. Slowly but surely. I actually have designed a complete set redesign using all the shit i've made already plus a couple new assets including a focal point to make the scene more of a "Scene" instead of a hallway. -_-.

Anyways, enjoy

archwip2.jpg

And some High Res goodness.

highres1.jpg

highres2.jpg
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    This is continuing to look great. I heart the sand on the ground. Looks really nice.
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been a long time...

Using this character to create statue meshes. I have a real nice concept in my mind for a complete revamp of this scene. Its going to be more unique now instead of level like i guess... like a real scene. Sort of like an unearthly shot.

Anyways i'll keep that under wraps until i get something fleshed out.

But until then here is a WIP for the sculpt i have been doing for the character. CC is welcome because i havn't really done a character since i realized good art work takes more than a day to complete.

statuewip.jpg
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This thread is getting a resurrection. I have some new stuff!

I have made a new shader to use for the ground. I explain in it in this thread.

here is a vid of the demo.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V6bit8PrZo[/ame]

Other than that i have been testing different lighting setups with the new UDK.

here is a WIP shot of how that's going.

UDK3.jpg

I have created some new assets since then as well.

some Stairs stairs.jpg

And this is an SKETCH WIP of an asset i am currently working on. It is designed to be a very large structural piece to be used in higher areas where the outside is visible.

4head.jpg

Cheers!
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good... I thought you let this one die, but it's good to see some content coming in again!
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice! I thought you abandoned this one! Thanks for the demo on the vertex blend :)
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Virtuosic wrote: »

UDK3.jpg

While this is looking cool, and your assets and textures are nice, be careful not to fall into the Unreal Tournament 3 trap of having your entire level look the same.
    There were a ton of UT3 maps where you couldn't tell the floor from the wall from the ceiling, because they all had the same amount of details and the same overall colour on them. In a good map you should be able to tell at a glance where the floor ends and the wall begins, it just makes for better "instinctive understanding" of the map layout.
    Right now your floor kinda just blends into the wall, same with the ceiling.

I appreciate that if this is a portfolio piece then you're going purely for looks and don't care about gameplay or stuff like that, but I think you should consider trying to find some contrast (either value or colour) to make the floors and walls stand out as more separate. You can still blend them nicely at the edges with dirt, dust or detail trim (ie. stonework patterns etc) but having the main areas be a contrasting value will really help make the large shapes of the map pop out, I reckon.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Too green, the lighting looks great though, everything is easy to read, but having everything green is boring.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    looking foreward to seeing that new shader in use thruout a level,, also looking foreward to the tute of how to make it that you mentioned hint hint :)
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    Got to agree with the lighting. I know you said you'd focus on it last but I think you'd be doing your assets and your viewers a favour by having a more interesting lighting scheme :)
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    man those stairs are awsome (dunno if you stuck them in anywhere yet, hope you do :P)

and the level looks awsome, i gotta agree the green is kinda overkill atm tho.
    It's cool and all but maybe certain areas or spots with a contrasting colour/brightness/whatever would be nice to help things read easier imo.
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys.

I'm going to be fixing up the Post Processing to make it less green, i'm also going to be adding rubble and foliage on the ground along the edges to break up the floor and the wall, and i'm still working on some more structural assets to send the coolness of the scene into overdrive.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Are you using a second UV set for the light maps? I'm making a scene and need some direction on that..

However, your scene is looking ballin. Great work so far. :)
  • Fang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fang polycounter lvl 7
    A long running project huh? The lightning has improved from the earlier shots for sure.
    Oh and, judging by the latest pic, you've real solid architectural pieces, but the place it looks completely cleaned out of clutter, like small loose rocks, bricks, shattered artifacts/statues, twigs, roots, leaves, piles of sand and so on you know?
    Maybe you're keeping this for later though.

Anyway, love the art :)

EDIT: Awesome, Vertex Shader, just saw the youtube demo!
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a WIP on the giant 4 headed statue.

4head2.jpg
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking great man. I'd bang up the top a bit more though, its too clean in comparison to the rest of the piece. This is a wip though so that may be what you're doing: )
  • albino_goldfish
    this is gorgeous so far, It's a bit green for me, but I love your work flow and assets.
  • Gallows
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gallows polycounter lvl 9
    Oh my God, this thread is amazing. How long did that corner face take you?
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Gallows, BTW i am interested in seeing more progress from your sculpting thread.

Not as long as this 4 headed statue is taking.

Corner face took about a weekend, so around 8-12 hours total work. Of course, the workflow was a bit new to me at that point so it took longer than it would take me now.

I may have to sacrifice my precious volumetric lighting for some more interesting lighting setups. I also have some really awesome stuff coming along as soon as this 4headed thing is finished. God, this isn't even really a focal point, it's just something i came up with for the architectural meshes that will be a bit higher up
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally... This sculpt took forEVER.

Lowpoly is done too, came in around 4K tris.

4head3.jpg

4head4.jpg
  • Hitez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel like turning all the turquise-green into more shades of red and give the red paint a tad more contrast would make it more interesting for some reason, replacing the fire with little fountains pouring glittering water..

and of course, I am high. so who knows.

reccomend.png
  • acapulco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acapulco polycounter lvl 9
    It looks really monotone. Perhaps try to play with some complementary colours. You could really saturate some reds and bring in some greyish blue or something... just try and error. Now it looks like a sepia foto, but I do like the red one more than the green one.