Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Art-Machine's RPG Weapons Thread

Replies

• Helixx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Helixx polygon
    The new shield looks great. The spec map really makes the metal pop off the wood even without any actual geometry there. My only crit would be that the arrows look a little wimpy. Otherwise a wicked piece.
    Cheers!
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Great piece dude! I love the concept/functionality of this one. The only real crit I have is that in the render on the right the handle has the illusion that its baked into the normal map. I think its because of the tappered shape of the handle end caps and the fact that it never quite breaks the silhouette of the shield body it gets that weird look to it. Maybe rotate it a little bit more or angle the handle up a bit so it stick off the sheild some. But again, great job! I can't wait to see whats next.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    that has gota be one of the best shield i have seen. damn im liking this tread more and more.
  • panic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    panic polycounter lvl 12
    i really like your painted textures
    your stuff is badass
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    Just like the rest of your work, top notch. My only other comment or request would be if you could put up some screens of your high-polys perhaps?

Anyways, love the style and everything else, can't wait to see more of your work!
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    This is some great stuff, Art-Machine. You're making me want to do some weapons of my own.
  • Wheel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This thread is pure win and has been a pleasure to follow. Thanks for sharing. Are you gonna do a character next ???
  • binopittan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    saved to inspiration folder. very clever use of spec map
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    great shield, I dig the other weapons too, nice work
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    that last shield is definitely looking great, good work :)

@sandbag: as long as it has nit trigger it doesn't matter if it is realistic or net, eh? :P
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    these aren't really wildly unrealistic...the materials are nice, the models are nice...I'm not sure how that applies? I'm not really into stylized stuff but good work is good work and this isn't really heavily stylized to begin with.

Also, this kind of posting can be kept to PM as to avoid derailing this guy's thread. If it makes you feel any better here's a small crit: I think the Mayan looking sword (with the spikes) looked better the first time it was posted since the material sells better as wood, where as the second iteration starts to look more like brass/copper.
  • BUSYROBOT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with Imogia, good poly distribution and nice textures. Great job on your weapons!
  • ZeroCartin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZeroCartin polycounter lvl 16
    Awesome work. Im curious about one thing though: Are u zbrushing every low poly model? Or is it made directly from maya, or a sor t of automatic normal map maker?
  • Art-Machine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, glad you like that last one.
    The new shield looks great. The spec map really makes the metal pop off the wood even without any actual geometry there. My only crit would be that the arrows look a little wimpy
    You're right they are wimpy, let me explain why : The 3 arrows around the top i imagined to be from a more elvish kind of shooter, that shoot very accurately and so use very light arrows to penetrate gaps in armor etc. You'll notice the lower 2 are fatter and less elegant, I imagine this is friendly fire or just arrows from another people. With that info, is it still looking wrong to you?
    The only real crit I have is that in the render on the right the handle has the illusion that its baked into the normal map. I think its because of the tappered shape of the handle end caps and the fact that it never quite breaks the silhouette of the shield body it gets that weird look to it. Maybe rotate it a little bit more or angle the handle up a bit so it stick off the sheild some.
    The handle is kinda hanging loose like a door knocker, that's why it's so close against the surface right now. It is a weird handle, I don't think i could explain how it's held without images, so i might make a rough character matching it just so i can show how it's used. Also on my site i'll be presenting it with a turnaround animation that makes this piece read a lot better.
    My only other comment or request would be if you could put up some screens of your high-polys perhaps?
    High polys will be posted in my portfolio site once i get around to working on it. I'm saving it so you guys have something new to see when it's open :\ So far my entire new portfolio is posted on these forums lol.
    You're making me want to do some weapons of my own.
    Do it! :poly142:
    This thread is pure win and has been a pleasure to follow. Thanks for sharing. Are you gonna do a character next ???
    Thanks, I have a new character planned, but I'm starting to think i really need to make some enviro stuff to balance things out. So I might hit 2 birds with one stone and make a scene that'll match the character i would place in it later.
    If it makes you feel any better here's a small crit: I think the Mayan looking sword (with the spikes) looked better the first time it was posted since the material sells better as wood, where as the second iteration starts to look more like brass/copper.
    Funny thing is, there's no difference between those 2 shots besides the background. In fact they're the exact same shot in both cases hehe. I guess you fell victim to an optical illusion, wish i knew the name for it.
    Are u zbrushing every low poly model? Or is it made directly from maya, or a sort of automatic normal map maker?
    I'm not sure i understand the question. Are you asking about how i make my low poly? Or how i generate normals? Or whether i use high res zbrush sculpts to generate them?
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, man you're right. I loaded up the images side by side and they are the same. It's incredible how much the colored background skewed my 'perceived color.'

There you have it then...I got nothin' to crit! Looking forward to seeing more.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wonderful keep em comin man!

-Woog
  • Diwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Diwan polycounter lvl 13
    Damn these weapons are really well done, I love the concept as well the execution!
  • Chaosv49
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really, really nice stuff. I just have to ask you : How do you go about detailing those low poly's in Zbrush?? It looks to me like they'll break up. I've been in to max for a couple of years but I over complicate stuff. Those are some really basic low poly's there with decent topolgy but I just can't seem to think how you would smooth that out and detaill in zbrush. Can you please elaborate on your detailing proccess?

Edit : Take, for example, the sheild I think on page 2. How does the wing part not break up? Also could you shed some light on how you went about detailing your parts?

Keep it up! :)

ChaosV49.
  • Art-Machine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really, really nice stuff. I just have to ask you : How do you go about detailing those low poly's in Zbrush?? It looks to me like they'll break up. I've been in to max for a couple of years but I over complicate stuff. Those are some really basic low poly's there with decent topolgy but I just can't seem to think how you would smooth that out and detaill in zbrush. Can you please elaborate on your detailing proccess?

Edit : Take, for example, the sheild I think on page 2. How does the wing part not break up? Also could you shed some light on how you went about detailing your parts?

I can try :P

Basically it always starts with a base mesh. I start in max for weapons, zbrush Zspheres for most characters. When making bases in Max the most important thing is as much as possible keeping all polygons roughly the same size and square, this will ensure a mesh of even detail in all divisions. If a part is expected to have more detail, i divide that area more in the base mesh.

Then it's over to Zbrush where i subdivide and sculpt as normal. The pieces you mention that look very seprate, are actually seprate in the base mesh. Where i expect one piece to insert into another, i just make them seprate intersected elements. Then in Zbrush it makes it easy to work on one part at a time by hiding the rest. Here's the base of the Skyserpent to illustrate this.
    base.JPG

Once the sculpting is done, i make the game topology on top of the high res with the retopology tools in Zbrush. The final low res is definitely not the one I work on in Zbrush. The starting base mesh and final low res are very different meshes.

As for the blade catchers on the Phoenix, as you can see from the texture, I just sculpted 3 of the 'spikes' and then mapped it onto the planes surrounding the shield in such a way that they connect.

Hope that sheds some light.
  • Quokimbo
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    First time I've seen this. Very inspiring work, Art-Machine! My favorite so far is the Skyserpent. I really want to make a cool little weapon like this now. :)
  • Art-Machine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do it, everyone make weapons!!:poly142::poly142::poly142:
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Awesome Work Pierre!

Very nice to see your workflow, as I was wondering how you pulled off these weapons at work. Very inspiring, I like it all especially that Siege plank shield.

Keep on the great work, you already have a killer portfolio but I cant get enough I want to see more ;).
  • Art-Machine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey who is that? I think you're the guy that sat behind me If i recognize the illustration style. Anyway thanks :P
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    Haha! I'll try making one over the weekend then. :poly142:
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    its Simon, yes I was the guy sitting behind you, quite the quiet type and I like to draw a lot :)
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    rad shit Art-Machine!
  • Red Handed Gamer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Red Handed Gamer polycounter lvl 10
    I am a HUGE fan of that Siege Plank.
    Great job with the normals, man. Mind-blowing!
  • Marnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marnik polycounter lvl 8
    Wow, you've got a great style to your pieces and your texture work is awesome!

My favorite is your vampyr war scythe, it's just so bad ass!
  • Bwample1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bwample1 polycounter lvl 8
    I am totally in to making some cool weapons or items, should we post them here next to your posts?
  • Addieo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your optimisation makes your normal maps work really effectively I love all of these weapons. Very original
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    Necro post T-T, Here I was hoping he finally made a new awesome model :(
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    Man i haven't peeped this thread in like 2 years... ARt Machine, your weapons set my pepe to 'hard'.