Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Wanderlei Silva (from the UFC)

t4paN
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
t4paN polycounter lvl 10
So, I've been working on this guy here for the last couple of days, need crits and comments to make him look menacing and shit, like the real Wandy.

iwn681.jpg

And here;s the moodboard

2vxrmtv.jpg

Let's get it on!

/update

2a0fdar.jpg

MAde the eyes closer to each other, and some minor adjustments to the nose.

Replies

• Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The head looks like it needs to be longer...
  • Surface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The face needs to be longer and also more "fatty", on the cheeks, also his eyebrow area looks off. Mess around a bit, you have a good start :)
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Hey guys, thanks for the comments. Worked on making the face longer and the cheeks, I haven't messed with the eyes too much though, because Wandy's eyes are a bit off to start with.

Still got loads to do before moving on to a higher sub level.

/edit doh, forgot the pic

14c9w28.jpg
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Update:

s5zpxw.jpg

Need to put some facial hair and skin pores on...
  • torontoanimator
    looking good so far :) i LOVE wanderlai, hes one of my favorite fighters, hope you do him proud :P
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Hey torontoanim, yeah, wanderlei is fucking awesome, he's in my top 3 as well! I'm actually hoping to create a sci-fi/fantasy character with his head though, one with a heavy armor and huge fucking chain-axes or something :D

Here is the latest update, it's around 2000 tris (I know, it's a bit much) and I'm currently working on the textures.

25znib9.jpg
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    So, I've sat down today to work on a concept about how he should look with some futuristic/ post apocalyptic armor.

2ni49l4.jpg

Unfortunately, he looks more like a near-future cop/soldier with a weird shoulderpad than post apocalyptic. Will probably work on making the armour a bit less symetric and add obscure tinkets and stuff on it. Plus more dirt. Definitely more dirt.

The concept is mainly a paint over, from 3d pieces which I'll post sortly.

/edit

8xkg8k.jpg

So, in effect, I put the body, the pad and the head together and painted over them.

Crits and ideas and even paintovers if you can get bothered are very welcome :D
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Update: Finished the base mesh, have baked normals for half the objects on it and generally wrapping up before it's time for texturing.

35k7jbq.jpg
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome. If they ever make a gears movie this guy should play marcus fenix.
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Right, so I've been working on the boots highpoly, but something seems off about them. Thinking about making the lower part a bit more solid...

x3fllv.jpg

Any crits and/or ideas about the boots in particular are welcome!
  • RickFX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is how people really should get casted for movies, you grab a martial arts fighter, put him into a scifi uniform, and if it looks good he got the job :D
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah.. about that: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1151928/

:P I'll have to disagree.

However, their ugly ass mugs look good on videogames though.

liddell_francis.jpg

I was actually thinking about creating a similar character a few months ago, only using Chuck Liddell's likeness for the head, but then I played L4D and saw that Valve beat me to it :P
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    hahaha Wandy! nice collection of ref you collected, and the likeness so far is looking pretty decent.

On the subject of the boots, personally I find they are clashing with the rest of the design. His boots seem to look like they're astronaut boots, while the rest of clothes are very mad max-ish
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    EricV wrote: »
    hahaha Wandy! nice collection of ref you collected, and the likeness so far is looking pretty decent.

On the subject of the boots, personally I find they are clashing with the rest of the design. His boots seem to look like they're astronaut boots, while the rest of clothes are very mad max-ish

Heh you know, that's the direction I was working for - I'm going to texture them to be very old and grungy and stuff, so that they tell a story, like he's salvaged them from a destroyed aircraft or something, because he's supposed to be a post apocalyptic warrior/raider etc...
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Update with the wip diffuse, final normals and ao. I'm going to create the spec after I finish the diffuse, right now I'm not very happy with it.

112ehx2.jpg
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    looks like a basic color pass, seems like you need a lot more dirt, grime, wear n tear!
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Wanderlei.jpg

Added some dirt, grime, wear n tear, gotta do some more dirt actually for the feet. :D

/edit oh yeah, don't have a real specular on it yet.
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    wand_BACK_FRONT.jpg

Did some minor changes, finished the spec map and calling it done till I create the knife/knife case thingy for the leg and a huge axe + rigging and posing.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Hey, neat stuff. Just read through the thread for the first time and ever since you blocked out his body I felt his waist + hips were too thin, but it's probably too late for that crit now. :D Making progress, though he still looks kind of clean, brand new pants etc.
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    Pretty good likeness. That was a good fight between him and Rich Franklin last night.
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Aw man, he was borderline robbed on that decision. It sucks when this happens, Franklin should have taken the Hendo fight and Wanderlei should have gotten this one. Too bad he didn't get Franklin in the clinch long enough to give him a third consecutive nosejob by a person named "Silva". It was a great fight though.

Vrav, yeah, the spec made the pants a bit too clean, for sure. Will work on both the diffuse and spec to make them look worn out a bit more.