Home General Discussion

MOVIE: Moon

Replies

• TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    Got a chance to watch it a few days ago at Tinseltown in Van. I quite enjoyed it.
    I did find the reaction to finding out they were clones a bit weak. Pretty nonchalant about the whole concept. Seems like there would be a few more stages before acceptance.

I wonder about the story of the corporation too. Like if the original Sam had been in space even.

It was directed by Zowie Bowie!
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Go to see it a month after the film festival, and I loved it.

It was great to see such a restrained science fiction film.
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    I liked it a lot. I'd recommend it to anyone. :thumbup::thumbup:
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mister Sentient polycounter lvl 18
    Excellent soundtrack from Clint Mansell. Minimalist but effective. Enjoyed the film too.
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    Finally saw it.

Really liked the mood, ambiance, cinemetography, and art designs. The story was alright, but it was pretty much what everyone expected, even Sams theory, and didn't do much in the last 1/3 of the movie to kick it up a notch.

But overall enjoyed it, would like more stuff like this. And yeah, Clint mansell is awesome.
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
    Good movie, it was a bit predictable.
  • Filbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Filbot polycounter lvl 12
    Finally had a chance to see it. Really enjoyed it overall.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Saw it this weekend, really enjoyed it.
    Slightly agree with TWilson on the first point he made, but I didn't feel it hurt the film too much.

I liked the soundtrack so much I bought the CD today. Really awesome music to work to.
  • ArtsyFartsy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Both me and the GF loved this movie. Sam Rockwell has been my new favorite actor since "Choke".

I still have some questions about the premise of the whole thing, but none of them matter really.

This movie is all about the character study. You have the same person, but in many different roles, and many different stages. That's why I don't think that you can spoil the plot of the movie through reviews or whatever, because the main story is irrelevant to the actual feeling you get when watching it.

Great stuff, will definitely watch it again when it comes out on DVD.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    TWilson wrote: »
    Got a chance to watch it a few days ago at Tinseltown in Van. I quite enjoyed it.
    I did find the reaction to finding out they were clones a bit weak. Pretty nonchalant about the whole concept. Seems like there would be a few more stages before acceptance.

I wonder about the story of the corporation too. Like if the original Sam had been in space even.

It was directed by Zowie Bowie!

What are you going to get mad about and to who? It's only you and your clone and you are on the effin moon. :D I don't think the issue was a lack of emotion or reaction rather then just reluctant acceptance of their surroundings.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    saw it tonight, loved it for the most the only slighty odd bit i found was why when they were supplying 70% of the worlds energy supply there is only one company up there, where were the chineeeese

still loved it though

gonna crack that 2001 project i had going out again
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    yeah my dad made the point that it's pretty impressive 70% of the worlds energy fits in a little pod that one man can lift, even if it is moon gravity

well, there's plenty of ways you can poke holes in the plot, but it was a great movie experience so sod it :)
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It was helium 3 they were mining, which isn't energy in itself but rather a fuel or catalyst for nuclear fusion. I assume the clean reactors were still on earth.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »
    gonna crack that 2001 project i had going out again

I was thinking of this a couple times during the movie and wondered if you'd get back at it. Good to read!
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    from wiki so its super reliable

"The amounts of helium-3 needed as a replacement for conventional fuels should not be underestimated. The total amount of energy produced in the 21H + 32He reaction is 18.4 MeV, which corresponds to some 493 megawatt-hours (4.93x108 W·h) per three grams (one mole) of ³He. Even if that total amount of energy could be converted to electrical power with 100% efficiency (a physical impossibility), it would correspond to about 30 minutes of output of a thousand-megawatt electrical plant; a year's production by the same plant would require some 17.5 kilograms of helium-3.
    The amount of fuel needed for large-scale applications can also be put in terms of total consumption: According to the US Energy Information Administration, "Electricity consumption by 107 million U.S. households in 2001 totaled 1,140 billion kW·h" (1.14x1015 W·h). Again assuming 100% conversion efficiency, 6.7 tons of helium-3 would be required just for that segment of one country's energy demand, 15 to 20 tons given a more realistic end-to-end conversion efficiency."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helium-3
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Finally saw it. I really wished I had not seen the trailer. I REALLY fucking hate when they give shit like that away, but I think it was the only way to get people interested. Anyways, it was great and I loved it. After two months of waiting.
    "You look like a radioactive tampon." - Hilarious
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Caught it here in the UK, loved it. Really refreshing movie. It was a bit predictable, but it doesn't really detract. I intentionally stayed away from the trailers but i read the synopsis on my local cinema's website which gave a bit too much away.
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »
    saw it tonight, loved it for the most the only slighty odd bit i found was why when they were supplying 70% of the worlds energy supply there is only one company up there, where were the chineeeese

I thought that too at the beginning, but when
    you discover that none of the sam clones have ever left the perimiter of the base, i immediately thought "i bet there are dozens of those bases, all full of clones".
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    It was helium 3 they were mining, which isn't energy in itself but rather a fuel or catalyst for nuclear fusion. I assume the clean reactors were still on earth.

okok,
    then: why was his suit air supply, which was designed for short trips out onto the moon, sufficient to
    get him safely back to earth during a 3 day trip?

and how come
    the 'rescue' team didn't notice several vehicle tracks and footprint sets back and forth from the crash site?
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rooster:
    Obviously it wasn't enough, but as well as the supply in the suit you did see him loading other air cylinders
    as for the tracks, maybe they did notice them, but the focus was on Sam, and he left just as they were entering the station

tda:
    i thought that too, I actually thought that one of the Sams was going to drive the buggy to another base and meet Sam 4