Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Steam Punk Racing Project

Replies

• nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Wow thanks for all the comments everyone, it definitely helps get the motivational juices flowing.

@Ged - Yea man that movie has been a great source of inspiration for this project.

@P442 - Thanks dude, it was a fun one to make.

@Shepeiro - I see what you mean about the mat. I went ahead and added a height map to it, here is a before and after .gif showing the difference.

@Kevin Johnstone - Glad to hear it Kevin.

@Xenobond – Thx for the tip, I will definitely give that a try.

@Slum - Haha thanks a lot man :). Not sure how far I will take it, Im already kinda losing steam on the project (ha).

@Sirdelitea - Thx buddy.

@brandoom - Thx, I hope to have an update soon.

@ZackF - Thx Zack :).

@Canden Picard - Thanks, I will let you guys know when I get a published version up.

parallaxexample.gif
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I WANNA PLAY!!!
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very promising, assets looking great. Start filling it all in!
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Hey guys, sorry for the delay. The deadline for this is coming up next week so I can't waste time making shots of separate assets and whatnot, but I do have some new screenshots. I spent some time updating most of the building with proper baked textures as well as remodeling/textureing old objects and making new ones, oh and making steam emiters. A good chunk of time was also spent on the gameplay. I managed to spawn players in a car, made tweaks to the AI drivers, reworked the ball drop, added a giant crushing piston thing, added checkpoints with individual respawn points (for when you get crushed), added camera effects for the big events, and a few other things I cant really remember. As you can see I am using a lot of the same meshes all over the place :( I dont like it but I don't have much of a choice for now. One happy accident that came from this is the idea of having players race inside of a steampipe. That part also happens to take place in the new back corrner of the level that im trying to give a darker heavy metal vibe to kinda contrast the bright sunshine and brass front room. So anyway, I hope you guys enjoy the update and please let me know if you see anything that really bothers you.

Also, once I hit the deadline next week I will probably use what I have as a beta release :).

PICS!!

screenshot00058r.jpg

screenshot00054h.jpg

screenshot00055.jpg

screenshot00056u.jpg

screenshot00063u.jpg

screenshot00060g.jpg
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Nice details, fun idea and everything, I just feel the lighting lets it down a lot. It all looks very washed out and lacking in contrast. Especially the shadowed areas are still bright and wash out the colors towards grey.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EDIT:totally didnt see your refs on the last page haha but yea, thought it looked familiar

looks sweet, the building reminds me of the old worlds fair building

CrystalPalace1_op_800x565.jpg

very cool, o for the final...I can haz giant gears that you have to drive through mini golf style?

-Woog
  • Sirdelita
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sirdelita polycounter lvl 10
    the tunnel stuff looks badass!
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    car racing through the tube with afterburners on is PURE AWESOME
  • SnarG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't posted on polycount often since I signed up (despite the fact that I check it everyday) but I just had to say that this stuff really inspired me, it's some really cool work.

I'd love to see another flythrough video with all the updated assets and effects in place.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    this looks fun. great models btw
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Very impressive work, nrek. I like it!
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    holy crap= really nice work man
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    @ Xoliul - Thanks for the thoughts on the lighting, I definitely see what you are talking about. I will try to tweak it for now and maybe just redo it completely later on when im not working under a time limit.

@ woogity - Haha glad it reminded you of the building since thats what I was going for :). I will see what I can do about some giant gears.

@ Sirdelita - Thx buddy, I want to try an expand that to be more intersting than it currently is.

@ P442 - Thx :) I hope people find it as much fun to drive in as it looks.

@ SnarG - Im happy you felt the need to post in my thread :) I should have a nice new fly through up mid to late next week.

@ onionhead_o - Glad to hear you and some others think that it actually looks fun.

@ MoP - Thanks a lot MoP.

@ konstruct - Haha thanks dude.

So I think after I mess with the lighting I am going to finish up replaceing the few stand in objects that are left and then work on the boost conveyer, pop up walls, and maybe some big gears like woogity suggested. Then I will have to start throwing in audio cues and making the flythrough/cutscene for presentation. I will try to keep you guys posted between now and next week.
  • vladino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vladino polycounter lvl 15
    Amazing! Great start! The track looks like fun too.. could use more curves tho ;) Love the idea of the bridge falling down and you being able to drive up and jump cross :)
  • EbolaV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EbolaV keyframe
    wow that stuff is awesome o.o i love especially that statue. looks pretty nice. waiting for more :)
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    @ vladino - Thx, I agree about the curves :\

@ EbolaV - Thanks, the statue is one of my favorite objects in the level.

Ok im back, sorry im late with the update. I finished it, submitted it, and then left town for a week :poly124:. Here are a few new screenshots to look at as well as a nice new preview video. I also included the published folder for anyone who might want to try it out. At this point the only things that are still used from unreal would be the sound effects, the cars, and the skydome. I will eventually replace the car and the skydome, probably not the sounds though. There is still lots of work to be done, most of the textures are very rough first passes and it needs more unique meshes. But for now I hope you enjoy it.

Screens:
    crystalpalace1.jpg

crystalpalace4.jpg

crystalpalace7.jpg

Video:
    http://vimeo.com/6883684

Map File:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?jn0ynra1wzj
  • Soul_Assassin
  • illadam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    illadam polycounter lvl 14
    Great job Nrek keep it up man!
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Very nice job, watched the vid, really cool. Love the little ways to activate traps/secrete passages.
  • SnarG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great ideas, great visuals, great presentation. New pants please!

And thanks for giving us the updated video :)
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice stuff man love the bellows hazards, solid idea! gotta say i would suck at this game tho, the environment is too interesting id get all distracted and end up smashed or driving into a wall.

-Woog
  • dgozmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    grrrr spencerrrr too good
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    what a nice surprise, I haven't looked for a long while here and it really developed into something i hoped for.
    Very nice atmosphere - me wants to see moar screens :)
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks brilliant!
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks a lot everyone, I really appreciate all the comments :). I would post individual responses but they would all be pretty much the same thank you.

I am getting ready to start a new class and a new project so I probably won't be back working on this for a few months. But I am still very open to crits.
  • DirtRiver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty cool, I would really like to play a proper game based around that idea :)

By the way, where do you study?
  • Kupikimijumjum
    Cool stuff, Spencer. Good to see the final(ish) product. It really came together nicely. Love the new pipe-stuff and that you took the time to make steam spraying out. The new tunnel thing in place of the old turntable looks significantly less annoying as well.

I will have to take a look at the map files later. Capital work, suh.
  • 3dskillet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    holy shit !!

this is going to look amazing
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
    hey I just got done building a Steam Punk Mechanic.
    and she is unreal I wasn't planning on using her for anything.
    but it seems like all of these cars could use a mechanic.
    I am not a character artist I just wanted to challenge myself...
    but yeah send me a pm; if you are interested just to see it. I don't mean to spam if that's what it comes off as.

I think you have done a fantastic job and it would be cool to see my character in the final product.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Looking awesome. Kinda reminds me of that old racer POD.