Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

2D Environments

Some first ettempts on environments. Looking for some crits/suggestions. :)

space_carrier_final.jpg

cave_monster_final.jpg

Replies

• Minos
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Very nice, you got a nice style/brush definition going. I'd work on the depth more though, they look kinda flat.
  • A.Kincade
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    You got some good things going with these. Composition is pretty legit. Colors are nice, subtle.

I think the cave one is the best. Could probably push the highlights and shadows more. Make the shadows really dark the further away from the light source. Mostly on the far left side, if you darken will draw eye back more to the hole and stairs.

The spaceship is pretty flat looking like Minotaur said. But it still is a cool idea and I like the shot. Although the sun and the area where the little ship is landing is a little bright. Kinda distracting imo, even though it highlights the ship well.

I dig the style.
    Would like to see more. Keep up the good work.
  • Kawe
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    Uhm, the main body of the ship seems to be using a different horizon line than the part that is sticking out. I believe you need it to be on the same horizon or it'll look all weird. Unless that is what you are going for. Also there's a way to measure it so you can get it exactly perpendicular to each others but I don't know how to do that.

92661349.th.jpg

The usualy disclaimer of me not knowing what the heck I am talking about applies :D
  • dark0samurai
    very kool mate :)

I like the level of detail and the tones :)
  • Cody
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
  • kukk
    Offline / Send Message
    kukk polycounter lvl 17
    Kawe wrote: »
    Uhm, the main body of the ship seems to be using a different horizon line than the part that is sticking out. I believe you need it to be on the same horizon or it'll look all weird. Unless that is what you are going for. Also there's a way to measure it so you can get it exactly perpendicular to each others but I don't know how to do that.

92661349.th.jpg

The usualy disclaimer of me not knowing what the heck I am talking about applies :D

Nonono, don't listen to him!

Kawe, I agree that the perspective on the first pic seems off a bit, but the problem isn't what you pointed out. The "horizon line" isn't horizontal when the object itself is tilted, there is no way to get these two vanishing points on a same horizontal line
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    AKinca, drop that green, thanks!!
    Kawe what are you talking about.

Spacey I like these images! Great little mood in there.
    I would say that the next step (when time allows, and depending on the purpose of these) would be to try and ease out the painterly feel and go for something a little less directional and a bit more atmospheric. Check out some matte painter's stuff, it's very inspirational.

Cool stuff!
  • SpaceyHD
    Trying my hand at digital painting again. Crits welcome. :)
    Apparently I appended this to my old thread, sorry! :\
    davis.jpg

practice_4.jpg

break_sketch.jpg