Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UAV (is online)

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Kimono polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys, I modelled this months ago so both the models are a bit dodgy. I'm also regretting putting it on a 1024 rather than a 2048 but anyway I finally got around to finishing the textures in the last couple of days :>

splashivo.jpg

modelgxk.jpg

triqeq.jpg

Replies

• oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    very cool. I think it looks fine with a 1024. Great job.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    It looks way fine with a 1024. Don´t worry about that :)

Good job mate!
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks fucking ace! very clean
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    looks really good man, normal map is really effective. as to the texture size, 1024 holds up great, if it was flying around in game it would probably be downsized to 512 anyways. The only thing I would maybe suggest is a little more variation in the values of in the spec to break it up a bit.
    dope work man.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks great, nice work!

Crits:
    - It looks like every piece has a bevel on the edges even ones that shouldn't? Did you crazy bump the normal map or are the bevels meant to be there?
    - You might need to pad each piece a bit more, I'm not too sure the current layout would downsize or mip-map well? There might be a lot of bleeding around each piece...

Other then those two minor points looks great!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looks nice to me!
    To be honest it'd still hold up with a 512 :p
  • Kimono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, I meant that for my own enjoyment I would have preferred a 2048 map :poly124:

Vig: I'm not quite sure what you mean about the beveled edges. It could be that my High poly was too soft (Didn't have much of an idea of what I was doing back then). Also I can do nothing but agree about the UVs. At the time I was not too familiar with mip-mapping and how compression worked within a real-time engine. I was more in the "Space-utilising Nazi" camp where I didn't want to let a single pixel go to waste D:
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    looks nice.

what's that thing in the middle of your normal map? looks like some object space normals found its way in.

hmm.. I guess the texture is dark there so I guess it's a place where no one would notice :D
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thats pretty friggin dope. Textures are fantastic. with a 2nd tighter pass it would be pro level.

watch out for the tires, spec is too much, and too tight for rubber.

you need a gloss (cosine) map to differentiate the materials more. that would make it look better. not too hard either, should be mostly just solid colors for the different materials.

interesting design btw, what era is this?

also , your numbers and letters dont mirror well. (backwards)
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    current era

RQ-7 UAV
    AIR_UAV_RQ-7_Shadow_Maintenance_on_Flightline_lg.jpg
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol, i thought it was like wwii era, then i realized that was dumb. those things are tiny, i thought they were huge.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Predator, which most people are used to seeing more of by now, is quite a bit larger:
    Melh_PredatorUAV.jpg
  • Kimono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you 00Zero. I'm ashamed to admit that parts of the spec map were rush jobs, (like the tires), I'll edit it before putting it up on my site. I have also never used a gloss map before, could anyone give me a quick skinny on them? Also the model is the RQ-2 Pioneer, They're from the Gulf War era. No 2 refs of it looked the same however since they used it for so many different roles:

800px-RQ-2_CM2.jpg
  • okno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work.
    This is off-topic, but I have to say it since I keep seeing this; your textures are actually shown at 25% size, since 512² is 25% of 1024², not 50%
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    How come when I tell photoshop to resize my 1024 image to 50% it gives me a 512? Is everything messed up?!?! -,-

Cool uav, mang. Text is backwards on the opposite sides, though.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    My basic understanding of a gloss map is it controls the exact intensity of the gloss level on the texture map itself instead of using a gloss that remains the same over the entire object or a uniform gloss. It works like a spec map, white =100% gloss, black = 0% gloss. So if you want a tight shine on the tires make them close to white on the gloss map. If you want a softer general shine make it more grey. I think it depends a lot on the particular shader you are using though. It's worth playing around with IMO. Really nice model and textures BTW.
  • Kimono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okno wrote: »
    Nice work.
    This is off-topic, but I have to say it since I keep seeing this; your textures are actually shown at 25% size, since 512² is 25% of 1024², not 50%

heh, nice catch on the typo. I guess it should read "All textures shown at 50% original dimensions"
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spec map defines how strong the highlight is. barely visible -> white spot
    gloss map defines how tight(small) or broad the highlight is. it doesnt actually affect the strength of the highlight, just the size.

tires have a fairly broad highlight (if theyre dry at least) so the gloss color would be darker for a broader highlight.

glass has near perfect reflections so the gloss map would be lighter to make the reflections tighter.

it can also be used for other cool effects (if your engine supports gloss maps) such as greasy fingerprints (slightly darker gloss map) and blurred reflections for brushed metals and stuff (light spec map with darker gloss map). so just because the spec value is bright doesnt mean the gloss cant be dark.

PS. the photoshop resizing vs actual area always confused me too.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    looks great.

One thing though - u have "605" flipped on one side because u r using same texture for left and right side.

Maybe just remove the number to quickly correct the problem.