Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Wip] Transport shuttle

I used to have an account here, but I lost the username and password :P

Anyway, I made a model:

Untitled-4-1.gif
Untitled-3-1.gif
pic4.gif

It's a heavily armored cargo ship, 1100 triangles excluding faces which will not be rendered.

So ehm, any things I can improve, ect?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    you havent even really progressed yet - this is just a very rough base model- so get actually started.
    Add lots of details, redefine the shape and design, make: UV#s, textures,...
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Well, its hard to say... We don't have a reference, we don't know what kind of game/engine/world/scene its going into, we don't know what type of art it will use (Diffuse only? High poly + normals?).

For example, if this was a piece for a pilotable ship in a space game, it would have different specs to that of, say, a misc model in a first person shooter you just walk past.

As for the construction, again, we just don't know enough yet. From what I can gather you are using very tiny tris in some areas but others lack in detail quite badly. I can't say increase or decrease the detail, simply because I have no idea where this will be used, how up close you get etc

Give us more info, tell us where you are going, post a reference and maybe we can help you out a little more?
  • Alune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have no idea really, let's just say rts specs.

With a reference you mean a concept, or a picture, right? I don't really have one, I'm just designing when modeling :P

I made the model a bit longer, it looks a lot better now (doesn't look like a big lunchbox anymore).

The uvmap:

uvmap.gif
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    it looks a lot better now

Based on those UVs, we will just go ahead and use our imagination and pretend it's all really awesome.
  • frubes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whenever you start out on a project you should always have some sort of goal. Whether that is a technical goal like "i want to learn how to normal map" or something really simple like "i want to generate a box". I think the problem with your peice is you have no goals. Also, you have no concepts whether that be something you have drawn or someone else's concept.

On that basis my advice to you would be to do some reasearch into RTS units, or specifically RTS space ships. Theres a shed load of that sort of ref on here. Browse the low poly wip thread and check out how others have tackled similar tasks then go back to the drawing board with yours.

I think you might have jumped into the modelling before you really knew where you wanted to go.