Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Astro Dude

I've been working on this little guy for a portfolio piece and was hoping to get some critical feedback on him. His tri count is almost 6k, with a 512x color, and I'm working on the spec.

astro1_color.jpg

astro1_wire.jpg

Replies

• Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    he currently feels like an odd mix of realistic and exagerated proportions. His head, and feet are pretty big, but his arms and hands aren't. If you're going for stylized, I'd push the hands bigger. If you're not, I'd shrink the feet some, and maybe try a smaller helmet.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    I like it, its fun, but where is he? Is he on mars? Id love to see some bounce lighting baked in to the diffuse. For mars id make the ground a darker red/brown, and the sky a yellow/orange/brown. Then make sure to give him a environment map for the glass.
  • BrodyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    astro1_update1.jpg

Played around with proportions a bit and added a layer of ambient occlusion to the diffuse.
    Thegodzero wrote: »
    I like it, its fun, but where is he? Is he on mars? Id love to see some bounce lighting baked in to the diffuse.

What do you mean, bake in lighting? Do you mean set up lighting in the scene and then render it on top of the diffuse?
  • Luke_Starkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luke_Starkie polycounter lvl 8
    I think he looks good, Great work!
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    you could bake it or just paint it in. I think God was just saying to figure out where he is, and then make sure that some of his surrounding environment's color is in the diffuse (mars is famous for it's red dust that ends up coating everything)
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    hehe you called me god... But yeah thats what i was getting at. No matter what planet your on you will have two points of lights that will affect the lighting even in the dark areas. Unless you plan on making a proper environment cube map id just go ahead and bake in a bit of bounce lighting. Take a look at KP knight to get some ideas, or most all of Piors work.
  • BrodyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    astro1_update2.jpg

Experimented with baking a 3-point lighting setup onto the texture. I think it came out pretty nice. I'm imagining his environment to be the moon, so there wouldn't be much color in the light, except for maybe a light hint of blue from the Earth. Added a slightly blue hue to the shadow layer and bumped up the contrast on the whole texture.

Now I'm going to work on the specular.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    I think this guy needs some dirt/grime on him with a different colour, maybe a muddy orange, around the boots?
  • BrodyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    astro1_update3.jpg

Added a bit more grime to the diffuse, and started working the specular. The lighting seems to wash out my texture a bit, making the smaller details less apparent. Is that inherent in lighting or is it simply modo?
  • BrodyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calling this guy done. I'm pretty happy with the result.

astro_color.jpg