Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Diwan polycounter lvl 13
    nice thumbs, 7 and 10 are very cool!
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    tried to see what 7 might look like if he was standing upright. I had a blast on the concept, but I`m not sure if I want to spend the next three months working on this character. hes just kinda "meh" and no real back story is coming to mind. maybe you guys might have some ideas?

DW_04.jpg

at any rate I think I`m going to put this one on the back burner and see if I can cook up something cooler with #10.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    sweet work, man!
  • Sir Gimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sir Gimp polycounter lvl 17
    Me like! You have a great understanding of shapes man :)
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I think his rear arms should be out a bit <---> As is they look like they wouldnt work in unison so well with the front arms.

As for story the first thing that comes to mind is some sort of doctor... Maybe strogg-like who loves cutting shit up - like a Dr Frankenstein who enjoys his job a little too much. You could reference the q4 stroggification scene for an idea of what kind of mutilation im thinking of.

- Oh and definately keep the smiley face on the front!
  • kite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite polycounter lvl 17
    great rendering, really like that one, he has a sort of mechanic/support class feel, there's always this rush to make the most giant badass you can in the dom war which often means your more subtle ideas get sidelined. The battery boy is really cool too, be good to see those clean mecha volumes with intricate detail on top
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Either 3a or 3c(the skull).

Awesome design and rendering. Must ask, do you use alot of trancparent brush or du you go more for opacue?
  • Luban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like 5,3. nice .)
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome i was concidering doing a mad scientist for this as well, but one that used dopeing to power himself up your idea is much cooler looking that what i had planned!

-Woog
  • coldkodiak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldkodiak polycounter lvl 17
    I think whatever you do, is going to be hawt, so might as well be what you want to work on for the next months.
  • Kamui
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kamui polycounter lvl 10
    moar please :) and it's more like, less than 2 months to go til deadline, unless they extend it.
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    I'm going to run over to your cube and punch you so hard that I steal your painting skillz!
  • joolz8000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joolz8000 polycounter lvl 18
    I think I liked 2.1 and 2.2 more. Just seems like a lot more fun to me. This is cool, but I agree the meh factor is a bit too high, compared to previous thumbs. Your painting skills are indeed mighty. Can't wait to see what comes next.
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    Fuck me thats awesome..

looks killzone-y-ish :)

will be watching this one!!

also 10 has awesomeness creamed all over it. :)
  • monstro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome work! I like 2.1 and 10. Can't wait to see more.
  • fightpunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fightpunch polycounter lvl 10
    Looking really sweet Konstruct.
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dope, sir! Very nice concept and your thumbs on the first page are great too!

I agree with Jackwhat, this guy definitely has a mad scientist / field medic look about him. Either that or he's the ultimate food processor.

Keep it up dude! :)
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Great thumbs konstruct, and I know what you mean about if you want to do this for 3 months, I have that same feeling on my ideas as well. I think you are maybe reacting to the pose that you concepted your final guy into, as it isn't very dynamic in feel. So maybe try having a go at your final pose, and see if that helps you get more into him, as I think you have a solid direction.

Spark
  • notebookguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    These are some of the best thumbs on the site I hope they translate well when modeling them.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    This is one of my favorite concepts sofar in the whole competition, so just do iiiiit! ^^ I think it got alot of personality, just needs some polish and its glorious ^^ My only issue is that he doesnt look very...war-like. But maybe that is just the pose.
  • NuclearWarrior
    Incredible rendering on that last post. I don't think I've ever been so unsure if a painting was a 3D render or not.
  • Dr Stench
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would love to see a worked out sketch of number 4 of the first post. Nice job so far.
  • meshiah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    meshiah polycounter lvl 17
    very nice quality on the concept, while awesome, i agree it doesnt feel like the dom war hero, but the dom wars hero's scientist, or the guy who built your hero etc..maybe doing a face will give him more character to connect to. or maybe try this concept on some different body types..it has a doc octopus/butcher feel to it , maybe alittle hybrid. just some thoughts. keep going, i havent seen a model from you in a while, hoping youll see it through. ill be in crunch the whole time and im doing it anyways biiioootch, get moving
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Cojax wrote: »
    I'm going to run over to your cube and punch you so hard that I steal your painting skillz!

I already did. But I may have punched too hard as his head came completely off his body.

I'm sorry
  • onelung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onelung polycounter lvl 18
    man that is rad, the arms and face projection are killer. Lookin forward to what you do with #10
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DW_05.jpg

-armor is busted up robot parts.

so, does anyone think that LOTS of asymmetry, and half an extra character is a bad idea? -- could this just be too much of a time, tri and texture rez killer?)

I`d like to go with 10, but I`m not sure if that's biting off more than I can chew: gonna take a few days to think it over as I`m Moving into a new apt this weekend :poly127:

Aimbiz: I usually start with harder opaque brushed, then start to move to softer brushes as I move on. Also, using the eyedropper constantly to pick up and match surrounding value.

robb: dammit, you and me both are hoping I pull something miraculous out of my ass when it comes to modeleing. its been almost a year since I`ve even touched max. :poly122: -- one of the main factors I might go with 7 instead of 10.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    mmm nom. looks great dude. So, is he a norm or a machine? Half empty, half full.
  • 55joe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    damn that is badass. looks like it would be a really wonderful final entry
  • Max
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Max
    Woow this is heavy stuff. I´d like to see his back too. And don´t go giving that carrier of his a weapon now, that would ruin the whole concept, I think
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    Kangarooarmor = Winspice.
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    richkid polycounter lvl 13
    oh man, that is wicked cool. name the little guy joe, and the big one kang. i really like the pregnant stance of the big guy as well, i can see him waddling down the ice cream isle

really, you start hard and get softer? i am the complete opposite. i go in there all gently and nudge around until i find what i am looking for, then i hit it hard...i paint that way too :P
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    richkid wrote: »

really, you start hard and get softer? i am the complete opposite. i go in there all gently and nudge around until i find what i am looking for, then i hit it hard...i paint that way too :P

heh heh...That's what she said.
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the info. Opaque seems to be more common than I thought. I've started to use that more myself, but not that much on my demonconcept for some reason.

I like the latest one. Very nice pose and weighting. Unsure about the horn though. Is the helmet some kind of trophy or is it the robots head?
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Aimbiz, using an opaque brush is pretty much the universal technique, it is like that because you have complete control over your edges.

With a hard opaque brush you can still make soft edges and you have a lot more control, whereas with a soft brush you cant make hard edges. Think about it, how else would you get the sharpness?

Coming along really nice man, though i do prefer the last concept a bit. Both would look ace.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fantastic idea / proportions. I think that you should pursue the idea of the asymmetrical robo-parts cyborg.

I remember as a kid, we built something out of Lego's and used a bunch of different color blocks.

Imagine assembling this guy out of different types of metal and colored/scratched/peeling painted robot pieces. Ever played texture tag with your UVs? This may be a possibility for part of your texture map!

If you use ZBrush, you could create some 'welds' between pieces for interesting directional movement and even reveal some history of how this character was developed.

Color theory could be used to create points of interest and further directional movement as well! Your silhouette is already awesome.

I like it man! You should go wild-heart and rip max open like a bag of chips! This character has got a promising future.
    Here, maybe Feng Zhu can help inspire your thought process a little bit too:

http://www.fengzhudesign.com/char_04.html

*** OH! one more thing I would add, the humanoid with the machine gun gives this project a serious awesomeness bonus factor; nice gun size to human ratio too. You should save a couple triangles just to give it a firing particle effect and some empty shells popping out of the side during your beauty render.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Looking good already konstruct! Maybe a semi-rollcage around the gun guy? Also I'd urge you start exploring other horn shapes than a simple bullhorn as that's the oonly part that doesn't seem to jive with the rest of the design.
  • soysauce
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzz wrote: »
    Aimbiz, using an opaque brush is pretty much the universal technique, it is like that because you have complete control over your edges.

With a hard opaque brush you can still make soft edges and you have a lot more control, whereas with a soft brush you cant make hard edges. Think about it, how else would you get the sharpness?

Coming along really nice man, though i do prefer the last concept a bit. Both would look ace.

I never use a soft brush. I use alot of transparency though.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah sorry, by soft I meant a brush that you have a lot of control over how transparent is via pressure sensitivity. then a hard which has hardly any transparency control.

LoL @ richkid.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soooooooper rough right now- just wanted to block in the forms and get an idea for the workload ahead. I`ll be re-modeling everything from scratch, just wanted a volumes template to work with:

I also plan on figuring out something entirely different for the head. I was sort of thinking flavor flav so it was supposed to be a bit stupid. I`d like to try and not take this too too seriously and have fun- but it just looks dumb.

DW_06.jpg
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    richkid polycounter lvl 13
    hehe, ill show you pressure sensitivity
    im not sure if thats what it is on the model. but i was going to say earlier it would be nice to see a giant ac unit looking thing on his back. kind of a counter balance to the little guy and for extra power or to use as a trunk :P

cant wait for the next stage on this dude
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah he defiantly needs something on the back, now that I have him in 3d I can see what areas need attention from a visual weight standpoint. The issue is, I`m going to be pushing the 10,000 tri limit till it says "excuse you" so I have to be cognoscente of not adding too many parts that are going to need detail. :(
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thoughts/suggestions- I could really use some input

DW_07.jpg
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Hahaha #2 amuses me :D But I think #6 looks best. Although I'm not sure if horns are too demonic for the machince class...?
    Either way, looking awesome!
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Nah, 1 is the best! :D
    Not a big fan of the horns myself, feels a bit out of place.
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Number 1 gets my vote instantly! :D

I also think the horns are out of place.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Cool stuff man, #1 for me :)
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    2, 2, 2! I'm actually serious. It decreases the futurism somewhat and it provides some nice shade for the driver guy.