Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ragnwulf the Bearded

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
A viking warrior inspired by my physics teacher. This is my first attempt at a stylized character.

Some of the concepts
pike-1.jpg
pikeboat.jpg

The models. His pauldron was changed a bit.
pikevike2.jpg
pikeface.jpg
His weapon
hammer.jpg
And his ride
boat.jpg

The one thing I know needs work is his beard. Anybody have any good methods for simple braids?

Replies

• bounchfx
    you dont happen to go to Ai Schaumburg do you?

is that freakin' Acton?

edit.. nevermind. I don't think he teaches physics.
  • whipSwitch
    Offline / Send Message
    whipSwitch polycounter lvl 8
    Your physics teacher looks like a mythical Norse warrior? Rock! My high school physics teacher looked like George Harrison....bowl cut and all.

on to the crit.

Overall, I think your topology is headed in the right direction, there are a couple of things that stand out.

The loops on the face need to be reworked. the edge comin up the front of the cheek should probably flow into the eye, rather than terminating at the corner, and I can't see any reason why the brow should be so lacking compared to the lower eyelid. You have several loops that start in the right place and then end in weird positions. That, and you have big fat n-gons in the ears.

Same with the pauldron, its a fairly straight-forward shape that has some strange geo happening on its sides. And the ornament on the belt is WAY dense for its size and impact on the model. As with the crotch of the pants. The wire frame is a bit small, so its hard to make out, but it looks like you have a cluster of edges where the legs meet the groin area, they aren't really needed.

The skirt needs an actual silhouette and should be draping, or at least hanging. Since it's largely behind the cape, you could probably afford to take out some of those loops. too.

For the beard, braids are similar to a repeating heart shape that taper down to the knot, you should be able to find tons of reference for braids. You can also push the profile of the moustache silhouette and that would help nail the location of the mouth in the process.

<out of breath>

ack. a mouthful, but I think it's a great start. and I really dig the kind of cutesy, but
    sans-manga stylization you've chosen.
  • Lord McMutton
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice, WhipSwitch. Handled most of your crits. Though I'm not sure what you meant by 'silhouette'.
    pikevike3-1.jpg
    pikefacewire.jpg
  • whipSwitch
  • Lord McMutton
    Offline / Send Message
    No, I know what it is, I just didn't know what you were talking about.
  • whipSwitch
    Offline / Send Message
    whipSwitch polycounter lvl 8
    sorry, i couldn't resist. I meant the straight slant on the skirt. since you have the loops there, you might as well use them to flare it out some or what not.
  • Lord McMutton
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, okay. d-(^_^)-b
  • A.Kincade
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    This turned out well. I love the beard!!! It makes me ashamed to say I have a beard. Ha. Overall well done. I'm interested to see the textures for this.

AK
  • whipSwitch