Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dead Space Concept in Unreal

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Irreal polycounter lvl 10
Hey all, i've been working on this the past week in an attempt to learn the unreal engine and boost my portfolio. It's based on some concept art from deadspace. Any crits or comments are of course welcome. The exterior rocks and sky are from unreal but everything else is done by me. I set myself a deadline of 7 days so i'm posting now just to get it out there. :)

Its taken me the past few days to figure out cubemap reflections and dynamic shadows. I can't wait to start the next quickie project now. A few more of these and i might have enough work to get a job sometime in the near future! :)

UnrealRenderFinal.jpg

Replies

• Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    looks really nice! Maybe add some blood streaks or something to make it less like every other corridor. Maybe even a crashed space shit smoking in the background where the mountains are.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    sounds cheesy but a point of interest or story in the picture can really help capture the viewers attention
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    Your lighting is ace! Here are some things that pop out.

The floor: Iam not really feeling it.

The walls: I like them alot, but the way that there repeating seems very obvious. Perhaps if you could break it up with another static mesh, or something that could help. Like have a section of broken pipes? Maybe a circuit board or something? Hell, even build a light fixture that you could repeate on the walls so when its night out, theres light in the hallway. The same goes for the wall trim underneth the windows.

Just some thoughts. other than that, I am liking your look.:thumbup:
  • whipSwitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whipSwitch polycounter lvl 8
    Yea, it's well executed, but seems overly generic. Spruce it up a bit with small props or damage, things to catch the eye, and guide it through the space.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    maybe not some super overly droopy wires, but some nice subtly organic wires or something w break it up all the straight lines would be a nice touch.
  • vladino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vladino polycounter lvl 15
    I like it a lot, good start. But as mentioned feels too generic. Try adding a bit more detail! ;)
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    A lot of the surfaces look like metal but I see no specularity or reflection.
  • Irreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW wrote: »
    A lot of the surfaces look like metal but I see no specularity or reflection.

Yeah, i noticed that too. I'm not sure what the cause is to be honest. Each surface has a specularity which shows up nicely in maya's viewport but then isn't translating across to unreal. I've boosted the levels in the shader editor but it's still not coming across how i want it. Perhaps it's has something to do with my lighting setup. Any of you Unreal gurus know what the problem might be?

I should mention that I originally had a separate spec map for the metal but now im deriving it from the diffuse.

Here's a shot of the floor in maya's viewport with 2 point lights. (Acutally, i've just checked the floor in Unreal's object viewer and it looks pretty much the same as Mayas so it must be the lighting thats affecting the spec somehow)

floorRender.jpg

Thanks for the crits everyone. I defo need to add a few more elements of interest to it although the concept was pretty much just a long corridor.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Well static lighting inherently loses some of the punch of specular lighting because it approximates all of the light vectors down to 3. The shot you gave looks like it might have a broad specular power, maybe tighten it up a bit? Also you may want to incorporate a subtle blurry reflection in addition to the specular.

You could also do some tests and just set your specular to a value of 1 and see how the static lighting is affecting the specular result then go from there.
  • Generalvivi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Generalvivi polycounter lvl 14
    me likes :D . I would add some light fixtures though, maybe some on the floor against the wall / on the roof support beams. I couldn't imagine walking down a hallway like this at night with no light! XD

-vivi
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    yeah i really like the lighting and atmosphere of the space so far, i would also recommend a few light sources, such as small white floor lights, or rectangle white lights placed in the arch fixture... just as a suggestion.. i really like where this is going the way it is though too.. keep it up
  • Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme polycounter lvl 8
    I think you'd really benefit from painting some seperate spec maps- If you're just using diffuse as your spec map you're going to lost a lot of nice details that you could have when you have a nice spec map. I think that's probably the biggest issue here with it..
  • Irreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all, I'm still having trouble getting a convincing specular on the metal. It has improved but its still not popping as much as i'd like. So, here is the spec map im using plus the shader setup. I'm new to all this shader stuff so i may be doing something blatantly wrong. I'm pumping the spec map intensity via the constant node which is hooked into the power node. Does the spec map look correct and is the shader setup correctly?

Floor_SPEC_WIP.jpg

shaderSetup.jpg
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    can you post the diffuse? and you should try a MULTIPLY node instead of the POWER node.
    I would say your diffuse probably has the specular highlight information in it which it should not but I could be wrong.You dont want the 2 maps fighting each other! Also your spec shouldn't be that dark, make sure you can see all of it, there's a lot of specular info that's missing because of it being so dark.
    I would advise going over the highlights on the spec map again and making the contrast more intense but at the same time making sure you can see everything, its very important.
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    I wish I had your diffuse, so i just tried to adjust the specular map and tone down the edge highlights. Also used photoshops nrm filter .
    exampleyea.jpg