Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Environment Work: Asian City

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Does this have a certain style applied to it? A style you wanted to use to portray the scene? I ask because a lot of things seem fat/overly scaled by 10-15% while other things seem taller than they should. It's hard to put my finger on, but something is off.

How're you doing the lighting? Is it all baked? It looks baked (mostly), but you've some props that look to be floating about the surface they lay on. Perhaps a missing UV channel for the object, or you didn't setup the override, etc.

Watch some of your flat surfaces: You've wavy textures when they should be straight (re: red brick building has some wavy lines on it). Throws the believability of the scene off.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Lighting is all baked in for the scene. I'll take a look at the props again to be sure they are not floating, but I might have to fake an occlusion for some of them, as some of them do look like they are floating even when the light maps are fine and they are on the ground.

Good eye for the surfaces too, specifically the bricks. I just went back and fixed that, so, next update should have them all good to go.

And as for the style, I don't really know. I can say realistic, but I always end up putting on a slight stylized approach in my work. Used to be a small graphic designer, which tends to creep up from time to time in the things I do. I guesses, I'm going for a realistic aproach, with a feeling that you know this is a game, and not the real word, so things can bend a little, but not so much as to not enjoy the scene. If that makes any remote sense at all : \

I'll throw a guy into the scene to see if I'm screwing up anything. If things are off like you said, and it is a bit distracting, then, that has to be fixed for sure.

Thanks for the input mates.
  • Mazvix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If a bomb did go off, then add lots and lots of trash as if a strong wind pushed things around.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's coming in later mate. Maybe. I'm thinking of changing the primes of it. It all depends on how much time left I have :\

And... HEY MARK, did you get a job yet dude!?!?!
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some progress shots. I don't think everything is baked, props wise, cause I just put them in and didn't have time to bake them out yet.

Scene6.jpg

Scene7.jpg

Scene8.jpg

Scene9.jpg

A few new buildings. The circular ones had me miffed, but I think I came to a solution with them~. They seem way to similar at the moment though. Boards, signs, something will be put on to break that twin obvious modular look and make them look more interesting. Will do that laters. This week, its all texture work for those buildings. Need to do 7 of them -__-
  • Thewiruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thewiruz polycounter lvl 16
    Really nice work!!
    Can you show how you made the buildings?
    I mean are they modular,How many uv channels/maps per building?
    Are there more then 1 diffusemap per building?can you post a picture of the uv maps of one building please?

looks very nice!
  • vladino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vladino polycounter lvl 15
    You are insane man! Do you sleep at all? :)

Really like the atmosphere!
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Amazing work so far true! This is a great looking scene and I am impressed by how big it is, seems like every time I check in here you have added a new city block. I look forward to seeing the textures on those new octagonal buildings, they have a cool shape to them. :thumbup:
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    havent looked at this for ages, coming on nicely, still a tad hard to read in places IMO needs a tad less detail maybe, thinking particularly about the concrete panels and flat textured areas, if they were larger say one for every four across but keeping the dirt and grime it would look better. you just have so many parrelel lines and a few simpler planes would allow the lighting and form to not be so overwhelmed by the detail
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Thewiruz
    When I have time later, I will. right now, im under a crunch hehe.

@vladino
    sleep?

@nrek
    Thanks man :]

@SHEPEIRO
    Hey man! Interesting take. I kinda like it actually. Will put it on the "DO IT NOW" list when I get to the touch ups next week. Still more stuff to do :]

Thanks for the props guys. Still more to do with no time to do :\
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    This scene is just super pretty man. How far are you planning on taking it?
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Adam.

This is actually scaled down from what it was initially. I had like, 5 more blocks to go and wayyy to many alley ways to move through lol. Other then that, I'm not sure. A bit anxious to start something else.

Some texture updates. I'm done with the tiling I think. Next will be the assorted nit-bits on the buildings. Their is oddly more blur in game then in these screenshots, as you cannot tell really well the silhouette for those "cities" in the way background in this shot VV

Highres_Screenshot_00015.jpg

Highres_Screenshot_00014.jpg
    Building needs more cow bell^
    Highres_Screenshot_00013.jpg

Highres_Screenshot_00012.jpg

Highres_Screenshot_00011.jpg

Not everything is baked yet, so some obvious shadow troubles here and there. It needs some serious decals too -__-
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    looking really impressive though, is this really a one person project? those roadcones seem to have gone inside out or something wierd
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some of the cones are not baked (same goes for some of the other props), so they look inside out or just look way dark then it should be. If I were to bake them the shadows would turn out fine.

And yes, this really is a one person project :]
  • frostymoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frostymoose polycounter lvl 17
    It gets better and better with every update. cool stuff :)
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    City1-1.jpg

City10-1.jpg

City12-1.jpg

City13-1.jpg

City2-1.jpg

City3-1.jpg

City4-1.jpg

City5-1.jpg

City6-1.jpg

City7-1.jpg

City8-1.jpg

City9-1.jpg

Three things.
    -Sky color
    -Over all color
    -Bloom
    -specularty

Ok, that's 4, but these are the things I'm wondering if they need a fixen. Deadlines this week, so everything is up to go. Just doing some last minute adjustments before I call it "done"

Thoughts?
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    looking good, really like that new bit with the water better comp works much better, quite a few dodgy uvs to fix up here and there
  • ArtsyFartsy
  • Rokkx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beautiful
    I particularly like the 6th image. great job~
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    jesus dude!!! I cant imagine that runs at 30fps, but who cares its beautiful!!

the scene would probably benefit a lot from some vista/skybox buildings, the 10th shot down looks amazing, but it feels a tad like a movie set. like I could see those buildings having plywood backing and a studio back lot behind them. Hollywood would then fix it in post :P
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @SHEPEIRO

When I post up the vidoe, you'll realize that that's actually a moving distortion causing that wobble on a few things. I hoped to get that feel of heat. It really feels different when the thing is in motion.

@ArtsyFartsy
    WHA?

@Rokkx
    Thanks mate!

@konstruct

Just tested it today at school, and it runs at a smooth 60fps in Engine ;]

Concerning the scene, you know, this is something I had to force myself to deal with, cause really, I could be working on this another 2 month, just adding detail after detail, giving it more and more life. If it were a smaller scene, I would go way, WAY further, but I'm crunched, and want to work on something else. With that, I'm happy with the results for the scale of the project. Never tried anything this big before, and it was good being able to finish a task this big and still maintain some level of quality. I think I learned what I needed to get out of it, and its time to move on, taking what I learned to make the next project even cooler.
  • Boyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyo polycounter lvl 8
    Oh my god, really impressive.
    It's really full of details that brings life to the map. And the light.
    How do you obtains such lights, and shadows? I tried a long time, in Unreal 3, no results.
    Do you make shadows with planes, decals?

Great work!
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    The textures are the weakest part.

- I would remove the color burn dirt effects you have on them (like on the bottom of the red bricks). If you want dirt and weatheration, play with colors and overlays.
    For example, that red brick (once desaturated some) would look great if the color burned parts where a grayish dust and dirt overlay. You will add richness in a much more realistic way. If you kee your dirt/dust/weatheration style consistent across all textures you'll end up with a scene where everythig blends and works nicely with eachother.

The desaturation is helping already a lot too. Before every surface was stabbing me in the eye.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I would remove the heat shimmer from your screenshots and leave it in for the video. It looks like poor UV'ing a lot of the time, not fun little shimmer effects.
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    Excellent work!

Definitely going in the inspiration folder. :thumbup: :thumbup:
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Wow... I think I'm in love with you now or something! this looks fantastic, the detail is superb!
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    wow, this musta been fun to texture, nice stuff
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    This is looking amazing! Kinda reminds me of the evening lit sewer level in Jet Set Radio! (which was by far the most technically impressive level)

One little nitpic would be that you don't get so many brick structures in residential areas (and any brick work building is often a facade with concrete underneath) because of the frequent tremors we have over here, brick work buildings last all of about 5 minutes.

Also I'd say your inverse U shaped bollards are kinda on the giant side.