Home General Discussion

Dawn of War II

Anyone have it? I'm currently downloading it on steam... (77%). :P

Replies

• Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I was just about to buy this over Steam, but the exchange rate made it more expensive than getting a boxed version from EB. I'll be heading out and picking up a copy within the next half hour.

Saw a little bit of it during lunch when on the dudes here fired it up. Graphics looks really sweet and the gameplay looks interesting now that there isn't any base building stuff.

-caseyjones
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah the graphics are really nice for an RTS. I've noticed that if you redo a mission... it changes the time of day.

As far as gameplay goes it is pretty well done. It is all about the cover. Like they say in Gears of War, "Take cover or die."
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    On sale now? Played the beta and found it to be promising, albeit actually pretty tedious.
  • Dusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The beta was good, I dont like it as much as DoW 1. It is not as epic and feels slower. I'll play the crap out of it anyway though, so they keep making more.
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    we've been madly playing the beta at work and it ROCKS! Tons of fun and very well executed game, hats off to Relic. Theyre being great about balancing and patching too, so i think this one is bound to stick around for a while.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I never played DoW 1. So I guess I don't have too much to compare it to.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I really prefer DoW1, but i must say i also like DoW2, it's like another game.
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Blaizer wrote: »
    I really prefer DoW1, but i must say i also like DoW2, it's like another game.

i totally agree, but i'd axchange dow1 with coh :P i liked that much more

graphics wise i don't know it seems like the past years the strategy games stood somewhat still, no real advancements since like 2 years or so
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    I adored DoW and I really enjoyed the DoW2 beta, didn't get much time to play it though, feels like a hybrid of DoW and CoH to me. Hope my order arrives soon :P
  • MattW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattW polycounter lvl 10
    I only found the beta the day before it closed so I didn't get much play time but I really enjoyed what I did. It seemed to fit well with my style of play and I could keep things pretty fast paced.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If anyone is interested in playing multiplayer... send me a friend request.

GT: Deluxe Walrus
    Original Steam: nordicskibum
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I felt like they took out all the fun of DoW and added tyranids...

Definitely plays like an entirely new game - I suppose I need to adjust my thinking to that and stop pining over the differences.

I give it a 5 on the 1 - Fish
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was hooked on DoW1 for a really long time, can't wait to play 2. But I have somethings to finish before I get addicted to any more games...
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got the steelbook edition from game sitting on my desk while I wait for the clock to hit 12.01 GMT so it's the 20th and I can install it :(

Fuck you steam.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steelbook edition? Is that collector's edition?

Why don't you just install it? The game release date is the 19th.... but it may be different for the UK.
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not so much a collectors edition lol there's no fancy art book or anything... I really wanted one but couldn't find any sort of proper collectors edition so just got the one in the nicer case.

I can't install it because of steam. It's not letting the activation code work, I looked around on forums and apparently we have to wait till the 20th in the UK before we can play.

I know it's only a day but really its the principle, on one hand yeah ok I got the game a day early so I should really be playing it tomorrow but I've never been denied the right to actually install and play my game a day early. Game usually send out their pre-orders a day early so with 360 games it's never been a problem for me.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    k I understand now. well send me a friend request so we can play when you get it!
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    That's really weird, carlo_c. I figured it would have been available everywhere at the same time. We had it cranking during our lunch break yesterday (which was just under 24 hours ago).

I picked up the "steelbox" version as well, you get bonus wargear in campaign mode that you don't get with the standard version and you also get a bonus multiplayer map. Oh and the fancy case.

I only got a chance to have a quick run through the game last night just to see how well it ran on my home PC. I will be hammering it over the weekend, will need to get it out of my system before the Dom War main comp kicks in.
    You should be able to find me on Steam (through the PC community if you don't have me on your friends) or through Windows Live (xbox gamertag thingo).
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Installed it soon as I could lol, played a few campaign missions and a couple of skirmishes, seems like a solid sequel to the first one :) I've still got to get used to the new gameplay mechanics hehe I'm pretty bad at the moment!

I'll be sure to add you guys, I should get some free time over the weekend too so can hopefully get some multiplayer going.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    yeah!! I'm moosebot, same as the xbl tag.

I played some campaign, skirmishes, and did my first real MP 1v1! I wasnt sure about this game in the beta, but damn, its actually really fun! MP is a trip, you have to be a micro master! Flattened the guy, got the flawless victory achievement :)

going snowboarding this weekend, but ill be down to play some next week!
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose wrote: »
    yeah!! I'm moosebot, same as the xbl tag.

I played some campaign, skirmishes, and did my first real MP 1v1! I wasnt sure about this game in the beta, but damn, its actually really fun! MP is a trip, you have to be a micro master! Flattened the guy, got the flawless victory achievement :)

going snowboarding this weekend, but ill be down to play some next week!

ACCEPT MY FRIEND REQUEST!

when you get a chance. :)
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    Downloading it on steam right now! It looks awesome, can't wait to try it out :)
  • MattW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattW polycounter lvl 10
    I hope a demo comes out soon, i'd like to give it a deeper look before i spend cash i don't have.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattW wrote: »
    I hope a demo comes out soon, i'd like to give it a deeper look before i spend cash i don't have.
    I wouldn't count on it. If you are unsure... I would wait until they have a half off weekend deal or something.
  • MattW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattW polycounter lvl 10
    They released demos for all DoW I games, but I don't know how long they had been out. I only got to play one skirmish, but I did enjoy it. I just spend too much money on games.
  • Waz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Waz polycounter lvl 17
    Started playing this earlier this week. Working through the single player campaign right now and really liking it. The missions are repetitive as are the levels, but the RPG elements and storyline are making up for it. I'd love to the the single player elements put into the multiplayer. Like being able to upgrade your units and collect loot for use in multiplayer would be awesome.

I think a hybrid MMORTSRPG would be really cool if done right. I don't want to see my Force Commander go, I want to take him with me to battle everyone else. Looking forward to see what DLC they come up with in the future.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Despite the annoying windows live on top of steam, it still shines, this game is awesome.

if anyone wants to coop, add my gamertag: stimulated
  • CompanionCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CompanionCube polycounter lvl 12
    ditto, the windows live thing is annoying, i couldn't loggin for 3 hours on the day i got it because of the Live thing.

love the game, anyone want to have a go at multiplayer with me?
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    The game turned out even more awesome than I was already anticipating, I still can't get over how damn much eye candy there is in this game on Ultra settings, gorgeous!
    The lack of base building, while I'm slightly sad about it, pans out for the greater good as far as a warhammer 40k game goes, keeps the action exciting... And holy hell at the Boss characters :o
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know how Windows live can be annoying. It is the same thing as Steam... and if you never use live then you don't have any friends on live... which means that you don't have any popups besides achievements.

I personally only bought the game because it had windows live on it.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Steam is in so many ways better layed out.

while live works good on the xbox, it's a bit clunky compared to steams interface, which is also there at the same time.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Is the singeplayer (will play co-op) experience worth it? I didn´t really enjoy multi to much. I generally don´t in strategy games so. Hmm.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    singleplayer is very different (in some ways) from multiplayer, ..

you have a set number of squads, (storyline characters) and you can only bring four of them to a mission, which span over a couple of worlds,

you basicly do missions/random missions, level up, find equipment al
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    The game is a blast, I've been having a lot of fun with it.

I am absolutely god awful at multi-player though, perhaps I am missing something
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Is the singeplayer (will play co-op) experience worth it? I didn´t really enjoy multi to much. I generally don´t in strategy games so. Hmm.

I really enjoyed playing it co-op. I think it took me and my friend about 14 hours or so. A few of the bosses at the end were kind of ridiculous though (we were playing on primarch), but other than that it was pretty good. The unique missions are really awesome (especially the last one) but random side-missions are less interesting.

I really like how this isn't similar to DoW1. This captures much more of the feeling of the tabletop experience with the lack of base building and much, much greater emphasis on unit positioning. I don't really think any RTS games outside of Company of Heroes comes close to the amount of strategy involved in the placement of your units, so the lack of base-building streamlines the game and puts the focus on where it should be - interactions with the enemy, rather than following a build order.
  • sicsided