• pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    There's a mini comp 2?
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We will be starting the 2nd Minicomp in May after the main comp.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought we were just able to vote for our own forum entries, but apperently, you can also vote for on other forums entries..
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes you can vote for other forums as well.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    wow cglands mini comp general concepts are incredible! do they just reject people with less than excellent drawing skills from thier forum? lol!
  • Wicked-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We will be starting the 2nd Minicomp in May after the main comp.
    I was wondering when that was going to come around. At first I though the 2nd mini challenge was going to start right after the 1st (since there was exactly 9 days in between the end of mini comp1 and the main DW challenge) So after the main challenge... Right on

I thought we were just able to vote for our own forum entries, but apperently, you can also vote for on other forums entries..
    Rens: You can vote a total of 5 votes for each forum. If you vote for only 1 and submit your vote while the other 4 options are left standing you will not be able to vote any more for that specific forum. I voted for all of them and to be honest some forums I were so horrible I didn't want to continue.
    wow cglands mini comp general concepts are incredible! do they just reject people with less than excellent drawing skills from thier forum? lol!
    I agree with you Ged but CGTalk.ru's Ruslan Svobodin General "Triplescar" is just unbelievably covered in awesome (my personal favorite).
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    from cgSociety:
    the Main Challenge will not start on March 12th. the starting date has been pushed back, but it will be starting soon.

don't know if Heavyness has the inside scoop from Fred or not?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    ffs. fall for it every fucking year. clear a weekend, get all hyped up. delayed.

honestly, surely the brief was set in stone over a month ago? can't they release the theme? why?
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    justin meisse and i were talking yesterday about there being 0 percent chance of this starting on time. it never has it never will.
  • Wicked-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the Main Challenge will not start on March 12th. the starting date has been pushed back, but it will be starting soon.
    I just lost morning wood after I read that last post from heavyness, lol.

I think a couple days, or just one days notice when the DW "ACTUALLY" begins is owed to all the challengers, not the morning of. A shit load of people will say "Fred or anyone organizing this years DW doesn't owe us anything", I disagree. We should be given at least a couple days notice, that's all I'm asking, and to get a post from another forum saying the challenge will not start today is a real letdown.

I do agree that the DW challenge is worth waiting for and I appreciate every tiny detail added to make it that much more interesting... but, if their going to set a date which has been the "12th of March" for God knows how long, then I think it should be released on that date and not left hanging around.

I'm like a damn junkie who hasn't had their morning syringe, could you please just send me some stuff to keep me going for another day.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Rhinokey wrote: »
    justin meisse and i were talking yesterday about there being 0 percent chance of this starting on time. it never has it never will.

Damn right, its all part of the game. It probably also won't finish on time, its never done that either although I wouldn't count on that one hehe.

I just baught new bateries for my mouse and pen, now we needs a breif damnit. Hope its not transformers or some shit this year, I hate hard surface modeling :poly142:

Good luck all. See you all on the field :thumbup:

Arg, need a new avatar for the war. Well at least that will keep me busy for mmm 2 mins.

[edit] grr, now I need to think of something else to do....
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    So what if the comp starts a couple days late. You know you guys jerk it off when they lay those deadline extensions on the table. I admit that I am really anxious to read the brief as well, but patience is a virtue.

I am sure that Heavyness is spot on with his post about the delay. After last year, he got really damn ill with how he felt he was kept in the dark about a lot of stuff that was going on and vowed to the CGS crowd to not let it happen again.
  • Wicked-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I couldn't stop laughing when I saw this picture. It's the perfect image for the beginning of every DW.

Big shinny balloon floating in the air with just enough helium to hover above our heads but not float up to the sky. Yet every time the string is in our grasp and the funs about to start the wind magically starts to blow it further away. Lol, sigh

red%20balloon.jpg
  • lorddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lorddon polycounter lvl 18
    The official word from Aftermath on the Gameartisans DomWar thread:
    Sorry for the lack of comments were hard at work on our ends trying to get this started for you guys. It has been delayed until saturday due to system bugs and translations and finalizing sponsors.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, just read that too. Hopefully Saterday will be the day for sure. More time to get through my gnomon zbrush tuto I guess :)
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    seriously sucks :)

come on, you have had a whole year and you realised that you won't finish on the DAY you are supposed to finish?

Every game company would fire you if that happened in development..

Sorry, I didn't finish the level like I told you, i'll just finish it a few days after the game ships ok?
    Noooooooot
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15

come on, you have had a whole year and you realised that you won't finish on the DAY you are supposed to finish?

Every game company would fire you if that would happen in development..

Sorry, I did finish the level like I told you, i'll just finish it a few days after the game ships ok?
    Noooooooot

I agree with you, but this will never change so it has unfortunately become expected.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    does it really matter? i mean u can just start drawing random dom war themed stuff, you know the theme is going to allow you to make pretty much whatever... you might as well start drawing stuff up at least to warm up.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I agree with katz, maybe I'm sad and crazy to do so etc but I make plans around competing in the dom war.. to leave it so late to tell us seems.. i dunno, lame

edit: yeah rawkstar you definately have a point. but if I started going all stealth asassin with concepts, and it turns out to be behemoth warrior themed, it's a bugger.. probably won't happen like that but..
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    rawkstar wrote: »
    does it really matter? i mean u can just start drawing random dom war themed stuff, you know the theme is going to allow you to make pretty much whatever... you might as well start drawing stuff up at least to warm up.

honestly.. this
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Awwwww poop.
    Ah well. More practice in the meantime, I guess :P
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    It is annoying to have it delayed. But it isn't so bad if it just gets delayed to Saturday. I can live with that. Friday evening would have been better, but at least with Saturday you have a decent chunk of weekend to get started. If they had delayed it until Monday, that would have been really annoying.
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We will be sending out a mailer letting you know the war has begun. Thanks for understanding.

Dominance War Team
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    rooster wrote: »
    edit: yeah rawkstar you definately have a point. but if I started going all stealth asassin with concepts, and it turns out to be behemoth warrior themed, it's a bugger..

stealth assassin behemoth warrior
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    3 day delay, oh-nos! You guys must be new.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    delays in the game industry? That's totally unheard of!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    brome, I'll believe it's 3 days when I see it :P

Meisse: hah! we never have delays!

we just cut all the features....
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    I want to go to waaar... pleeaaaseeee ^^ my beveling finger is all itchy...
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18

Every game company would fire you if that happened in development..

Sorry, I didn't finish the level like I told you, i'll just finish it a few days after the game ships ok?
    Noooooooot

????? theres heaps of clueless in this statement. i would be suprised if a single artist on this forum that has been in the game dev biz for any sort of time has not went over deadline on one thing or another. hell entire games come out sometimes years behind schedule.

i don't mind it starting late i had no thoughts that it would start on time i would also be verry suprised if it started at the new date. i would say maybe end of month
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    so anyway, it's been the 13th(!!!!) for about 2 1/2 hours now... domwar delayed AGAIN?
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
    Great.
    Now I have blue war-balls. :(
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    rhinokey: his point wasn't that no-one should go beyond schedule, it was that no one should wait until the day you're schedule is due to notice
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    rooster wrote: »
    rhinokey: his point wasn't that no-one should go beyond schedule, it was that no one should wait until the day you're schedule is due to notice

right :)
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So its sunday now....

Guess its become tradition. First the delay, then the bitching about it then the bigger delay, more bitching and finaly we get started and forget it ever happened.
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Site says it starts the 15th now.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Delayed. Play some games and come back again later.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    The minis were like sticking a pacifier in my mouth. I'm kinda mellow and less antsy this year, delay and all.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wink.JPG

This camera delay was so long, my polycount jello winked at me right when it flashed
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    The minis were like sticking crack up my nose, I want MORE!!
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @408

Polycount jello jiggler shots?
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My god, have you guys seen the bitching goinng on at GA. So many clueless people whining. Its fun to bitch a little but for fuck sakes don't get personal. Fred and Co have been working hard on this the least we can do is cut them some slack.

Meh, it just pissed me off, all this talk about unprofessional yada yada who gives a shit.

end rant.

On that note, are you all psyched? Tomorow will hopefully be the day. Can't wait :D
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Juat a quick question.

Is the Dominace War site calendar basd in the US? If so the 15th for us in the UK probs means we'll get it late Sunday or early Monday...right?

Just so I know.
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    dom war time is based on the time zone in new york, so check the internet to see what the time diffrence is in your area. But remember, I highly doubt they will open it up at 0:00 AM sharp. so have some patience.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    .. Dominance War runs on Dominance War time. Always has Always will. Occasionally DW time and Earth Time match up. It is on these rare occasions that the faithful perform carefully crafted rituals and summon forth great spirits of the arts to do their bidding and crush all who oppose them.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    I figger we'll be lucky if we get the brief by the end of the month. :D
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    the thing that threw me off is that the mini challenge went perfectly smoothly. i figured they must have got it down this time
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    For sure, the GA threads have been in a frenzy about the delays. Some good laughs too but also some good advice/knowledge being shared.
    Bet the turnout is going to be crazy this year.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Rules link added to first page.

Also you can go here.

Please ask all questions regarding rules in this thread here. We will do our best to keep track of all questions and answers.

Thank you.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ITS ON. Good luck guys. I'll have to do my concepting the old fassioned way till I get my PC fixed...
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Woot.

Im new around here but even so i think i wanna be with you guys for the fight :). Time to get concepting.