Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

pump.

Well. I consider this done. Hope you like it :)

Render:
pump_beauty.jpg

Wire:
pump_wire.jpg

Flats:

pump_flats.jpg

Cheers!

Replies

• duxun
    this is great in my opinion. just a few comments the dripping rust on the middle of the pump seems a tad big play with scale on that part of the texture.also the peeled off rust on the red paint is a bit too much just my opinion.
    what i mean is think of the surface of this object and how it would naturally wear. for example the edges . painted metal most of the time wears on two perpendicular surfaces. that my friend will help sell your model more as a real world object.
  • Gux
    Offline / Send Message
    Gux polycounter lvl 9
    Cool, I like how it looks against the base. You could really do a lot more with the specular here, adding more subtle dirt and separating the materials. Use color in the spec if you can. Also while the rust is cool, it looks a bit slapped on in places.
  • eric.
    Thanks for the critique guys. Yeah, Ive heard that the rust is a little too random, so now I know that til my next model :) I'll probably not work on this one more.

Thanks alot!
  • pliang
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    I thought the front where the panels are seemed over smoothed until I looked at the textures, it looks ok but I personally think you can define the edges for the gauges a bit more.

Ditto on the rust, perhaps some scratches and contact shadows. The red paint job can also use some loving with some discoloration, perhaps looks up some old rusty buckets/cars.

The spec however doesn't seem to be very effective, seems like you only highlighted some of the edges..
  • Mark Dygert
    Poor Ol' gas pumps, no one ever does them in their prime, always broken and beaten down. ha!

With that said, nice stuff!

Crits:
    - Some of the UV pieces are scaled kind of funky. It looks like the pump nozzle is eating up a bunch of space.
    - The pump hoses could have been straightened and put on a much smaller space.
    - The white metal is really rounded where it looks like it should bevel more.
  • ae.
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    you should throw that into the cryengine!
  • c0ldhands
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    the pump looks cool...but a find it a bit flat on the front...maybe trow in some stickers or something`? Like highly inflameable sign...u`know. bt I like the rust..but a bit to much?...just speaking my mind here.
  • eric.
    Wow, thanks everyone! Now I really feel obligated to continue making this pump look better, when I got time for it :) You guys pointed out alot of great stuff that I didnt even think of.
    - The white metal is really rounded where it looks like it should bevel more.
    Didnt get what you mean.

About the spec. I really font know what Im supposed to do with that. This pump is supposed to look "dusty" and not reflect much at all. Any ideas?

And thanks again for all the support :)