Home Technical Talk

1:2 uv ratio in 3ds Max

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
alexk polycounter lvl 12
Noob question. How do I go about making my UV space a 1:2 ratio without it squeezing my uv mapped object?

For example... the first screen is 1:1 ratio, and I placed all my mapped objects onto only half of the width. Second screen, I change the ratio to 256 width, 512 height and instead of resizing my area, it resizes and squeezes my mapped objects. How do I preserve my uv map when I change the uv ratios?

uvratiofq8.jpg

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Start out that way... =/

It's lame but the only real way to deal with it without scaling pieces is to start that way. Some times rendering your template and using pixel snap helps align the pieces again. I'd love to hear of a better solution if there is one...
  • Xenobond
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    if you have chuggnuts, or something like that, you can scale the uv's to get the proportions right. Or put a uv xform to scale it down, as well.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    er... well i just fit everything into the 1:1 ratio box, and then export the template as like 256*512 jpg.

i don't have any problems :S
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    just fit everything into the 1:1 ratio box, and then export the template as like 256*512 jpg

bingo. tis what I do.
  • alexk
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    the uv xform solution seems to be working for me so far, thanks!
  • Minos
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    As someone above already mentioned get chuggnuts tools! I can´t live without them anymore. You can easily scale/offset pieces with it, along many more cool features.

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/unwrap-tools
  • Mark Dygert
    You'll want to be careful with Chuggnuts tools, only a handful of features haven't been rolled into max. The vast majority of what it improved "back in the day" has been included in newer versions of 3ds. 3ds is unstable enough already I don't think Frankenstein'ing things will make it any better.

Also it overwrites a key 3dsmax file with an outdated version. There is some seriously rock solid code written by autodesk (I know we all assume they're morons and that some art monkey 5 years ago could code circles around them, but in this case they aren't) that gets replaced with some dodgy stuff. Not to mention it overwrites the unwrap UI getting rid of the options pannel ...

The best way I've seen people port the functionality was to go in script by script and pull out what they liked and set up regular macros for those scripts. Instead of replacing the Macro_UnwrapUI.mcr with an outdated version.

OR

There are half a dozen other scripts that have popped up since chuggnuts came out (and was updated last) and none of them are as destructive. If you have a list of features you want, I can point you to the scripts...
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Ooh ooh, selecting edge loops in the unwrap window! :P
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Vassago wrote: »
    bingo. tis what I do.

Wont that result in the pixels being stretched?

What does uv xform do exactly?
  • Mark Dygert
    huh... It's kind of jacked up that you have to use a separate modifier for this but you can uniformly adjust the scale of you're entire unwrap (or just what was selected when you applied the modifier). It also allows you to offset your UV's if you had a selection active when applying the modifier, or it can offset the whole thing, which is next to useless because you can just use this to offset things without having to apply a new modifier.

So the only thing that it really does... is fix scaling issues like what the OP had. Handy, but stupid its not just rolled into the editor window UI.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    The pixels won't stretch at all. When you import the 256x128 texture into max, the UV's are already fit to it. The UVs take up the whole square but you export the template as non square. I don't recall ever having an issue with it, but there are times where I lay out the UV's into the bottom 1/2, and use chuggnut to scale/move them into place. Just depends.
  • glib
    I just want to say THANK YOU xeno for mentioning the uv xform modifier. It turned what was going to be a fairly large and annoying task for me into 30 seconds of futzing in photoshop to figure out the exact % difference and typing those numbers into the modifier. Beauty!