Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Male mesh - early stages

Hello all, I've begun work on another character for my folio, this time a male character. He's still in very early stages now, although I have a rough concept drawn out (will post that eventually). Want to hear everyone's crits, comments, thoughts on this one:

(Note: I scribbled some notes on the caps to point out a few parts, sorry about bad handwriting, heh)

He's at 3,542 polys now, btw

In regards to some of the geometry, I've always been mixed about the best work flow for sculpting. I know some people completely quad their base mesh before sculpting on it, where some leave tris here and there. I'm the latter, and I try to keep terminations at strategic points (as you can see on my mesh) that would benefit from a bit of pinching when sub divided. Is this necessarily a good practice? I do notice a tad bit of artifacts when I actually work on tri faces, but it's nothing I can't really touch up later in the normal map in photoshop (if not none at all). Thoughts on this?

rmhGy04.jpg

rmhGy03.jpg

rmhGy02.jpg

rmhGy01.jpg

rmhGySilh01.jpg

rmhGySilh02.jpg

Replies

• NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    Looks pretty decent for a base mesh. The only area I see that might give you some undesired pinching are all of those tri's connecting to the collar bone. Try dropping a smooth on it with a 2-3 subd levels and see what it gives you.
  • _Aurel_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your character's brain cage is too boxy and Frankenstein-like as a result. I don't know what kind of character you're going for, but if its just a 'generic' male, I think it'll add to the final result if you make him less "perfect". Slope his forehead a little, make his head rounder, or maybe even make him a little heavyset, for instance.