Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Human/Scorpion Hybrid (WIP)

Hey folks, im currently working on a fairly large project that will go towards my dissertation at uni. The focus will be on a custom character that can be taken and put into Unreal 3, so im going to need to create a custom rig and have a tri count of around 15k.

Iv already started bashing out a rough base mesh that will be then taken into zbrush to create a normal map. The model currently sits at around 6.6k tris.
If you have any suggestions and/or criticisms please fire away, all are welcome.

SC-Front.jpg

SC-Side.jpg

SC-Pers.jpgSC-Wire.jpg

On a final note, rigging for Unreal is a bit of a dark area for me so does anyone have any ideas/ large a finger that could point me in the right direction for creating a custom rig for this creature.

Thanks
- Ryan

Replies

• AliasOpilo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone,

its been a while since i last updated this but the time has come to show the final finshed produce with the renders being produced from Unreal Engine 3.

i would greatly appreciate any feedback no matter how small, and for all you passersby just post Yes or No in terms of whether you like it or not.

FinishedIMAGE2.jpg

FinishedIMAGE1.jpg
  • JostVice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JostVice polycounter lvl 12
    Really liking the texture, good work! Any view from the back?
    I really like the legs :)
  • Luke_Starkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luke_Starkie polycounter lvl 8
    Looks great! :)
    My only crit is that his fore-arm seems too short and his bicept seems too big.
    Good work anyway. :)
  • AliasOpilo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are a few more views of the character.
    Again all feedback is welcome.

finishedimage4.jpg

finishedimage5.jpg

finishedimage3.jpg
  • s0id3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s0id3 polycounter lvl 8
    I think the pincers are too bubbly looking, and don't really have the shape that most scorpion pincers have. Also feels a bit odd with the pincers being vertical, I noticed that most scorpions have their pincers horizontal.
    http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS323&um=1&sa=1&q=scorpion+pincers&btnG=Search+Images&aq=f&oq=
  • AliasOpilo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the critique i agree with the bubbly looking pincers, they could maybe have been designed with alot more defined shape to them. The idea of the vertical pincers was done do create more of a defensive look rather than offensive. After all the main function of a scorpions pincers is for defence and crashing food, not for attacking.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I think it looks really good so far. I think if you worked on it a bit more it could get even better. Here are some things I noticed.

-The textures are looking a bit muddy. I would try to get them reading a bit better. Look at real scorpions and try to figure out where they have color variation and detailing and why. Then work this into your diffuse. At the moment, it seems that you overlayed random details and color in some areas.

Did you do an AO bake? This might help make the forms pop out a bit more if you didn't already overlay AO.

Can we see the textures, and list the tri count and map size? It would definitely help with crits.

It looks like you have a flat specular on him, and I think if made a specular map it would also help the character read better (make edges more shiny so they pop out more and some areas more wet looking).
    While I think the color scheme is cool, there is still a disconnect between the character and the scorpion parts. I think you could mesh the two together better. Also, I think if you added a bunch of detail in the normals and texture where the scorpion and character connect, it would also help a lot.
    Again, nice work; but don't call this one done yet. Your almost there!

By the way, for future reference. If you explain what your goal is, show some concept art, and give a little history to the piece you will surely get better feedback. I see you started to do this in your initial post, but not quite. The only reason I mention this is from your second post you seemed a bit desperate for crits, ha ha.
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Modelling looks nice but I agree about the textures looking a bit muddy. I'm not sure whether you baked some AO into the texture but it could help to reinforce parts such as where the shell meets the body.

Pretty much what Brad said lol.