Home Stickies

Unreal Engine 3 - MASTER THREAD

Replies

• GoSsS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
    :( so there is no way to paint vertex color within UT ?
    I'll try to do that in 3ds max and export it but it'll be really tedious :( (hum in fact I think I'm gonna try the udk :D)
    Thanks for the answer.
  • TychoVII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TychoVII polycounter lvl 13
    GoSsS, just get the UDK. Might as well throw out UT3 unless you actually play it :P
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    ok here is my dilema. i have a room that ive set up all with static meshes and its time to do some lighting. ive posted up some screens of this scene and i got a few comments saying shadows are too soft. so i did some research and was trying to experiment with dynamic lighting.

my question: is it possible (and if so how) to get dynamic shadows on static mesh.
    i am looking for crisp shadows in this scene and i am completely stumped.
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slainean polycounter lvl 18
    Oniram wrote: »
    ok here is my dilema. i have a room that ive set up all with static meshes and its time to do some lighting. ive posted up some screens of this scene and i got a few comments saying shadows are too soft. so i did some research and was trying to experiment with dynamic lighting.

my question: is it possible (and if so how) to get dynamic shadows on static mesh.
    i am looking for crisp shadows in this scene and i am completely stumped.

I'm going to quote EricV from an old thread, who also had questions about getting dynamic lighting. I haven't messed with dynamic lights recently but I think this should cover it.
    For whatever reason the static meshes themselves must have bForceDirectLightMap and bUsePreComputedShadows turned off and bCastDynamicShadow turned on, while in the Lighting Channels having Dyanmic checked as well.

As for the light you have to use a point light toggleable (havent tried with all the other lights aside from normal point lights, and spotlights) and under light component have CastDynamicShadows, CastShadows and CastStaticShadows all enabled. Very tricky but SOLVED at last.
  • nxh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nxh
    Thank you, Ben! For reasons that I will never fathom, I unchecked "bOverrideLightmapResolution," which quite naturally prevented that actor from receiving proper shadows because, as you indicated, the vertices in the object are not evenly spaced at all (it's a large plane with beveling around the edges.)

Anyway, worked like a charm. Thank you!
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    wow. that was so simple i didnt actually belive it when it worked. haha. it was the static mesh settings that were the case.. thanks a lot!
  • cycloverid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cycloverid polycounter lvl 15
    This might be a stupid question, but...

How does one frame a shot in Unreal? -provided that the aspect ratio needs to be altered.

The properties of a camera actor allow this to be adjusted, but I am only able to view these changes in-game, not in-editor. It would make my life much easier to see the framing in-editor so I can make adjustments more quickly. Is there no way to do this?
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The only way I know is to set it up through kismet.

http://www.hourences.com/book/tutorialsue3cutscene.htm

When you've got the matinee widow open and have key framed a camera you can click on that key on the time line and your perspective viewport should be switched to the camera's view for that key.

If I remember correctly you can't (or shouldn't) edit anything in the level while in this view mode but you can move the camera and re-key it's position. When you close the matinee window the perspective viewport camera takes over but it uses the position and orientation of your camera actor's key. Then you can edit your level safely from your framed shot's view.

EDIT:

I'm not sure if this is the right setting, I always struggle to find it... but it might be helpful if you right click the Movement track of the camera and set it to "World Frame" rather than "Relative To Initial". That makes it a lot easier to position and key the camera from within matinee.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Anyone know how to get motion blur to work in a still within the UT3 editor?

This post was originally an answer to cycloverid, but then i realized i totally didn't read his question correctly so now i'm just tyring to save face. But any info would be appreciated!
  • Kupikimijumjum
    Does anyone know how to get collision to work with an animated skeletal mesh? All I'm trying to do is create a dinosaur where you can ride his back as he roams around the level.

Do I need to make a physics asset or something along those lines?
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Yes you need to make a physics asset for the skeletal mesh for it to have collision and render properly (occlusion culling i think).
  • Kupikimijumjum
    Thanks! I got it working now.
  • cycloverid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cycloverid polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks for the quick reply Ben. This is exactly the method I need to use. It's somewhat of a hassle, but the fact that the FOV / Aspect Ratio is previewed is good news.

Thanks again.
  • Orgoth02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orgoth02 polycounter lvl 9
    Does anyone know how to make it so that shadows cast base off the alpha of a plane instead of the plane its self? I need this for some tree leaves. Thanks!
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Orgoth02 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to make it so that shadows cast base off the alpha of a plane instead of the plane its self? I need this for some tree leaves. Thanks!
    Alpha masked, not blended. You need to have a 1-bit alpha and set it up in the image import options. Also in the material you need to set it up correctly. I don't have UED open right now, so I can't give more detail till later.
  • Orgoth02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont wrote: »
    Alpha masked, not blended. You need to have a 1-bit alpha and set it up in the image import options. Also in the material you need to set it up correctly. I don't have UED open right now, so I can't give more detail till later.

Awesome man! If you could get me that is would help me out tons. Thanks!
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You need to add the mesh as an InterpActor and in the properties enable LightEnvironmentComponent. I have a scene made with UPK. And I think it only works with directional lights.

http://www.digitalweaponx.net/AlphaBanger.rar
  • BHJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BHJ
    Haven't really played too much with Unreal; but thought the UDK release was the perfect time to have a look around.

Question:

Can I export vertex alphas from max and have them used in Unreal along with an alpha map?

I use this technique with blend strips - having 3 (or more) edges the outside 2 having a vertex alpha of 0, the centre edge being 80 or so. Then the material applied to the strip has it's own alpha.

Possible?

Cheers.
  • Scruffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruffy polycounter lvl 11
    yep, it's possible for sure. The thing with the new UDK is you can paint the alphas in, so you can blend between textures and see in real time. This is what the terrain has always done, but now it can be done on static objects, so one material and one object can look 100 different ways. The nice thing about this is you can also use this 'painting' method to change the orientation or even pacing of a flickering texture. It's all in how you set up the shader network.

I cover some of these methods on my web site. there are a bunch of different 'vertex blending' things you can do. some are for UDK, but many are for the original UT3.

http://www.chrisalbeluhn.com/3D_Tutorials.html

Hope you all enjoy.
  • BHJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BHJ
    Thanks for the link Scruffy - but I couldn't find anything on exporting vertex alphas from max.

I know about using the meshpaint to blend textures together; but that's not what I'm trying to achieve. I'm sure it's probably quite simple - either that or not possible. Essentially I'd like to import a second mesh made up of lots of blend strips, keeping the vertex alphas I assign them in Max - So I can have the edges fade out to complete transparancy, while keeping the centre opaque and didn't want to have to paint each individual 'strip' in the mesh.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    .ase file format does not store vertex alpha, you could try importing it as either vertex color R G or B
  • Scruffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    without making a tutorial for it, the easiest way to explain how it works is this.

If you know what vertex color you want to have control which aspect of your asset (changing color or tweaking the alpha on something) just select the vertexs in question inside max and on the right scroll down untill you see 'Vertex Properties'. By changing the color value (not the alpha since it does not export in .ase format) to what you want, you can then export that as an .ase format, but make sure you have 'vertex colors' checked off when you do this, or all that information will be lost.

When you're in the engine, whatever color values you changed, plug those colors into the material editor. for example, red can controll the blend between two different textures, and blue can controll the alpha fading.

there are ways to set up shaders in max to visually see what you are doing, but that will take a tutorial to show.

i hope this helps you out...
  • BHJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BHJ
    @ JordanW / Scruffy

Cheers guys - I did some quick tests last night and have got this pretty much sorted now using vertex colour rather than alpha. It'll only be 20minutes work to switch over the vertex alpha values to colour in max - which is a lot better than painting in all the values manually!

Thanks again.
  • BHJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BHJ
    **New post to flag the thread to others that may have read my previous post**

Hey guys, got it working - kind of :) any way I could set up my material to get a smooth gradient rather than this 100/0 effect that I have going on at the moment?

The alpha look smooth but the actual mesh is chopped -

vertexalpha.jpg

Cheers.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    are you using alpha masked? i guess so, alpha masked is always one bit, you need to use a translucent material with the mask in the opacity slot
  • ivan0v
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a question. How can I check the polycount in the unreal editorif it's possible? It will be realy helpfull thks
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    look in the generic browser you find the primitive stats
  • ivan0v
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • ofca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ofca polycounter lvl 9
    hi there,

a little question i have, maybe someone of you guys could help me.

i try to do fluids. put FluidSurfaceActor to the scene, FluidInfluenceActor too put in the scene, connect them and...

how works influence'Fluid_Wave' and 'Fluid Sphere' ? others 2 i could start, but this... nope.

And one more...

Do you know how to connect 'RB Radial Force Actor' (for example) to FluidSurface ? you know, to make waves with force...

anybody ?
    thx,
    ofca
  • wisebrownmonkey
    have a problem. I exported a mesh using actor x from maya 09. It is about 9500 tris. When I imported it into unreal it drops down to about 6000 tris. The problem is that some of the geo is missing. I have alphas on it, but i exported with the alphas and with out and it still has missing parts on the mesh. I exported checking only "selected items only".
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    I went through this the other day only to go back to maya and realize some of my verts werent merged. I group everything as one mesh as well...not sure if you do the same.
  • wisebrownmonkey
    It still wont import. I tried the merge the vets. Itook it into the UDK dev kit (originally it was Unreal 3), and i get "generate/imported vertex count ratio(6836/3476) exceed expected percentage(96.66 percent vs 25.00 percent expected)."
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    hmm..I get messages like that too, but the mesh looked fine...I'll have to take another look.

Can you show a pic of those areas that are built in the 3d app and what it looks like in UDK?

*Edit; I had to confirm this with my own mesh. Unreal won't draw convcave patterns, so if you have anything like that, it will explain the loss.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    question: you make a post process effect in the post process editor, how do you then get it working?

The only tutorial I've seen that might show me how is in the subscription area of 3D Buzz, I was about to break down and pay $35 just to get access to that tutorial but I figured I'd check here first.
  • Scruffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's easy enough to get a post processing through either the 'world properties' or a 'post processing volume' box. This bypasses any scripting that may need to be done.

here's a tutorial of mine.
    http://www.chrisalbeluhn.com/UT3_Post_Processing.html

Hope it helps.
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    yeah but thats got nothing to do with material PP effects... its just the standard chain.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you are in the default UnrealED, you can script the change in the used PPE per game using Kismet I believe, per moment. I would recommend doing it this way in the retail UnrealED as the PPE's are tied to everything in the game and will break the install.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    well I'm trying to do an outline and vignette post process for a project.
  • Orgoth02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anyone know a good way to view wireframes instead of the viewport switch?
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To get a wireframe view while ingame, press Tab to bring up the console, then type in the command show meshedges and hit enter.
  • Ewalton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sooo....Im working with a group to create a total graphics overhaul of Unreal (actually UDK but same thing) that is basically a First Person grocery store food fight. Its a school project and its going well...

Basically the weapons (bullets) are particle systems that are thrown through the air. How can I make just the single object rotate in the particale system window. I have been able to create nice expolison particle systems for when food explodes (its been fun) but cant seem to get just a single object to rotate in space in the cascade editor.
    Im sure their is a simple way to do it but Im running out of time for guess and check method.

Any Tips???

thanks
  • nxh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nxh
    Pretty sure this hasn't been answered yet, sorry if it has.

I have a level set up with terrain. Recently, when I switch maps from the terrain map then come back (going to a building interior map, then going back outside, essentially) there are large patches of terrain that aren't rendering. The collision is still present, I don't fall through the floor, but the patches stay gone until I've walked around the level for a while.

Looking away and back doesn't seem to force them to redraw, but they will only draw when off-camera (I haven't seen any of the patches pop, anyway.)

Sorry, I know this is a very vague question, but perhaps someone has encountered something similar and has a suggestion.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nxh:

I've had disappearing problems once or twice in the past when I had the editor open along with a bunch of other apps for a long period of time. I believe the problem was my system was running out of vram or ram, a full restart of the whole PC seemed to always clear up the problem. The system I had been working on at the time had only 1 gb of ram and a 256 mb video card.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ewalton wrote: »
    How can I make just the single object rotate in the particale system window. I have been able to create nice expolison particle systems for when food explodes (its been fun) but cant seem to get just a single object to rotate in space in the cascade editor.
    Im sure their is a simple way to do it but Im running out of time for guess and check method.
    If it's just for the particle, just do a rotation in the material for said food item. Just a guess, didn't actually do it.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    initial rotation and rotation rate dont work?
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think that only applies to sprite-based particles.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    For some odd reason everytime I rotate my decal in Unreal 3 editor it crashes. I rotate it manually and also within the properties. Also the decal texture is not within my custom package it's a original game asset. Any suggestions?
  • TommyRose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TommyRose polycounter lvl 14
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You are currently working in "Unlit" mode you need to toggle "Lit" mode on, add some lights to your scene and finally do a lighting build.

glass2fix.jpg

Also it looks like you're using the old version of Unreal, do yourself a favor and get/use UDK (Unreal Development Kit) instead.
  • TommyRose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TommyRose polycounter lvl 14