Home General Discussion

TV as a monitor?

sir-knight
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
how many of you guys are using a 1080p tv as a primary monitor? Best buy is offering a no interest credit on TVs over 1000$ until 2012... so I figure if it's a good enough picture, I might pick up a 40" aquos or samsung to replace my 4:3 lcd monitor :P 1080p is supposed to be 1920x1080... that's MORE desktop space than I can ever hope to use... and prevent me from going blind at squinting at smaller monitors.

Replies

• bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    damn I can't imagine the TV you use for real!

I haven't heard of this personally but I'm sure it's possible and some people do it, but you might want to wait for real responses about this before you make your move.

but I mean who cares really right? we'll all be gone by 2012 anyway... ;)
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    hmmmm i think looking at colors and such will suck on a TV, gamma and contrast are usually ass on TVs compared to monitors.
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hehe... well right now my secondary clone monitor is my 32" aquos, but it's only 720p. I can make it do 1080i but the refresh goes all crosseyed and it doesn't agree with my 4:3 19" lcd monitor...

I can either spend 300 for a new 22" samsung widescreen... or I can pay 50 bucks a month for 3 years and get a 42" tv
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Well gotta ask yourself what you'll be using the second monitor for... As jordan said, watch out for the contrast ratio etc. Because tv's usually have pretty shitty specs for that, and if you're using it for photo editing, or texturing etc. it would be a waste.

I'd just go with a second LCD monitor, cheaper and will probably work a lot better.

42" monitor... aug, think my brain would explode.
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well my first requirement is to match my tv's aspect ratio because right now I don't think it likes being in 1080i with the refresh forced at 60hz... it usually refreshes at 30 but the screen will flicker for some reason in the default specs. The other option is to run my 4:3 monitor ultra stretched at 1280x720 and the tv runs at native 720p.

Good point about contrast ratio/gamma tho... I had forgotten about that with lcd monitors.

Another drawback I was considering was that the tv might not like switching to non 720 or 1080p resolutions.. some directx apps might try and force a resolution it doesn't like.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A few days after my daughter was born, I hooked my 2nd PC into my TV and played WoW like that for a few weeks. It was awesome having a regular tv channel or movie playing in PIP. The wife got tired of it pretty fast... and the PIP got switched around so she could watch TV, then it started sucking. But it was nice to have everyone centrally located. I didn't try to do anything art related, I imagine it would be pretty weird...
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    I use my 46'' samsung a530 as my monitor with vga at 1080p (the HDMI looked like ass for some reason). The colors and clarity as absolutely excellent and far better than any monitor I've used. Be warned though... 1080p on your desktop makes shit smaller than all hell, so be ready to ctrl-mouse scroll your firefox to actually read things comfortably. For gaming it's absolutely stellar though.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    It's great for concept painting.
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    bounchfx wrote: »
    but I mean who cares really right? we'll all be gone by 2012 anyway... ;)

ha ha ha, i loled. . .

but seriously, i would go nuts trying to draw on my 9X11 tablet for something as large as a 40" screen. but it sure would be cool!!
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    sir-knight wrote: »
    I can either spend 300 for a new 22" samsung widescreen... or I can pay 50 bucks a month for 3 years and get a 42" tv

If you're planning on only paying the minimum for 3 years...chances are you shouldn't be buying this TV!

I have a couple buddies that use a Samsung[SomethingSomethingModel#Here] TV that they use as a monitor. I would make sure it has a PC mode, though. Otherwise, like previously mentioned, the contrast ratio and colors are kinda wishy washy.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    whats the response-time on a tv?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    I'm running an LG 1920x1080 (1080p) tv as a pc monitor, it's 37", cost about £600 when i got it a year ago.

never had any problems with screenburn or anything, gamin on it is sick, once i set up the brightness/contrast properly, i could use it for photoshop too. i love it and i'm never going back.

i just go out from the DVI port in my pc, to the HDMI in the tv. it's a pure digital signal, so i can't understand why anyone would have problems =/
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I have a htpc connected to a sony bravia full hd (8ms), and it's gorgeous!, better than my tft.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    I had a friend who did this with his tv , hooked up a lappy and speed paint o nit whenever he wanted, it was really good for initial conceptiong, and even sculpting to! Down side though was it would lag for some reason (possibly the laptop )?
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    seforin, thats usually the downside with most hdtv's, they're usually made for watching movies or such on, playing games secondary, so inputlag is almost always something you have to live with.

it can vary and be quite horribly high on many tv's
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    When I had a big polycount meet up this summer we hooked Vahls laptop up to my big samsung dlp and it looked pretty awesome if you ask me.
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I put my 3 year old viewsonic lcd beside my aquos on hdmi output from my computer, the tv was amazing with color match, the only issue being the black was not so black, but that's not really a huge issue if you know about it.

As for the dragging payments out, it's not really an issue with me. My credit debt is about 2k as it is right now and can be paid off fairly quickly, adding another 1.5k would not overburden me as I do have enough cash to deal with anything bad should it arise. I'm looking at it purely as a cost/usefulness evaluation.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    My credit debt is about 2k

Good god I envy that low of debt ;)
    When I move into my new place next month I was thinking about hooking up my PC to my 50" SXRD set to see what it looked like. Got to make sure to keep my monitor nearby to check for consistency issues.
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, for most canadians credit debt isn't as huge an issue as it is in the states... it's just finding ways to put it into savings accounts without banks and such sucking you dry :P

mind you, I do have a house and car payments... but I consider those expenses more than debt :P
  • [Deleted User]
    Or you could put the $50 you would be spending every month into a fund to get a new 22" samsung widescreen every six months for a year and a half and have more screen space than you will EVER need for half the cost of the TV :)
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah... but I wouldn't have a 1080p 42" tv ;)

as useful as it sounds, I think I'm going with a standard samsung 22" monitor, on sale this week for 199.

I'm paranoid about my vision issues, (very near sighted) and when I can get bigger things to look at, my eyes don't bug out as much midway through a workday
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I_luv_Pixels polycounter lvl 17
    i have a media computer running through my 1080p TV and a DLP projector. Using the TV as a monitor is terrible the text is realllly hard to read.

Its just really cool to have speedy access to your media. I wouldn't work on this set up at all.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i have a media computer running through my 1080p TV and a DLP projector. Using the TV as a monitor is terrible the text is realllly hard to read.

Its just really cool to have speedy access to your media. I wouldn't work on this set up at all.

you're not running your graphics card at the screens native resolution. and if you are, you're not running the screen at a 1:1 pixel ratio.
  • another caveman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    another caveman greentooth

Hi I'm looking for a good ~50" tv to use as monitor

I had tried Sony X80J but refresh rate too low when using it on PC. Perfect as a tv tho.

I'm now looking at X85J which has 120hz refresh rate.

I'm looking for 1440p ~1kCAD, less if possible

Any recommendations?

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666

On my second workstation i use the Samsung M7 43" Smartmonitor. Not the best but big.