Home General Discussion

In case you didn't notice... (DOMINANCE WAR 4!)

Replies

• Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    eboy wrote: »
    Very true modeling_man. I think it's best it stays a 1 man team. At the end of the day wouldn't you feel more satisfied you did everything yourself, especially if you won something. I understand in the industry it doesn't usually work like this but surely this can be a welcome opportunity?

That's actually why i enter comps. No designer telling me my idea "won't work in this world" or an Art Director telling me "it needs bigger eyes". I get to try out all the fields and stretch my wings a bit.

Zwebbie wrote: »
    Great! The Dominance War is always one of my favourite times of the year, because there's such a ton of inspirational work to be found. I wouldn't want to miss out on it.

The only thing that I'm a bit worried about is that apparently there are now 12 websites in the competition. I rather liked that cozy Polycount-CGChat scale of the first competition better.

I've never really paid much attention to the other sites. Although I'm excited to be competing against the world, in my heart, Dom War will always be a Polycount vs. GameArtisans (CgChat) comp to me.
    B
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    I hope it stays the 1vs1 competition, though I need to learn how to render! It pushes you as an artist to go into areas that are your weaker ones and learn how to get better as an overall artist. If not, and we go into a 3 man team, I think I will pass on this years war and do something for myself.

Spark
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Something else I try to do with competitions of this size is create smaller goals. Where the goal isn't winning but learning and exploiting a new style, or process. I also try to pick a nemesis and make it my goal to beat them. Sure I might not get 1st place but the chances of winning that get really tough seeing as the top 10 is usually a toss up. Most recently I did this with the Comicon where I knew the competition was hard as hell but all I wanted to do was beat Thatdon. Did I? HELL YES I DID! I felt like a million bucks even though I didn't win it all.
    B
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    did you guys read the MASSIVE SPECULATION over in the gameartisans thread :P
    so what are your thoughts for the new theme?
  • Holi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holi polycounter lvl 16
    Boner jizzy deamon
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    meh for the 1vs1 'only'. I'm sure mastering every role is very rewarding but it is also the reason why so many good people can't finish what they started...requires too much devotion and people are busy.

Why not have categories for both? Team & Single?
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    one soldier army, that's the better in a competition! :D

team work is for girls... or not?
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    Like I said, I'd like to see more concepts brought thru to the very end. If teamwork allows more entries to complete, I think it is a good thing.

I am not saying to get rid of 1vs1. I want both categories.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Open topics are entirely too difficult to judge and really opens the judging up to subjective decisions.

Having a proper focus is best for competitions.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    Junkie_XL wrote: »
    I am not saying to get rid of 1vs1. I want both categories.

that could lead to unfair competition because a team of 3 super talented artists would be unbeatable by any single artist.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    i'd guess it's underground rebels this time round, you'd have your recently freed prisoners, converts to the cause, legendary heroes, etc.
    easily cover it by saying that all the artifact wielders of the last war joined forces to enslave everyone else, and the rebels are fighting back, but distrust and hate between the races is still there
  • kite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite polycounter lvl 17
    Should be awesome! I hope the brief is something more straightforward, seemed to be tying myself in knots trying to answer the post apoc/but no tech brief last year. Be nice to have teams back in some shape or another too
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    I dont think you need a team of 3...but having someone do a concept and another do the 3d should be fine....There's no real advantage to it, as you dont need a fully rendered beauty piece before you go about building the actual model....
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Kite, if we do have teams this year, I call dibs on you!!!! Yah I would be fine if they seperate, and have a 3v3 competition and a 1v1 competition to make sure 1 person isnt going up against 3, as just like in real life your more likely to get your ass kicked in a fight going up against more than one at a time:P

Spark
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    in regards to the topic, i mean honestly you could have made anything for all 3 previous comps, the "rules" really didn't place any restrictions on what you made, i could have easy swaped any entry from any dom war and changed the origin of the character to make it fit. people are going to do that anyway.. make what they want to, then make sure it fits into whatever faux story attached to the comp by adding a logo or picking a color scheme. so just make some big strong uber warrior thing, then when they announce the comp you can add a loin cloth with something on it that makes it fit into the description.

might actually try and make something this year
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite wrote: »
    Should be awesome! I hope the brief is something more straightforward, seemed to be tying myself in knots trying to answer the post apoc/but no tech brief last year. Be nice to have teams back in some shape or another too

Amen
    B
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    Spark wrote: »
    Kite, if we do have teams this year, I call dibs on you!!!!

chubby Samoan that eats deformed babies? I want to see more.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    post apocalyptic realistic sci fi fantasy!

i hope fred will avoid the whole "here's some concepts, chose one, but don't make it exactly like it" approach like he did for the unearthly challenge, that was terrible.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    rawkstar wrote: »
    i hope fred will avoid the whole "here's some concepts, chose one, but don't make it exactly like it" approach like he did for the unearthly challenge, that was terrible.

qft
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I liked it. It wasn't as limited (for me anyway) as most bitched about. When myself and the other 2 chaps of the original team got together to go over the concepts we had a lot of ideas of what we could do it. No, I don't think it was the perfect solution and I doubt Fred will go that route next time. Who knows?

"make an environment!" is far to vague of instructions to have such a thing be properly judged, yet those who bitched were after that, it seemed. Perhaps the next one will have a backstory akin to Dominance War and use that for its instructions. Would be nice, I think.

For this current Dominance War, I am sure it'll be in vain of previous ones.
  • kite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite polycounter lvl 17
    haha cheers Spark! yeah i'd be up for teaming provided you do the concept :D

yeah Arsh i know what you mean, that would be the smart way to go about it. I always need the concept to come out in one piece though, the more revisions the more it seems to mess up. Maybe try that this time though and actually finish for a change
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    I definitely want to make something this year, but more so I want to see everyone's awesome new characters.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I definitely don't agree with teams for the Dominance War. You are making a single character and this is perfectly acceptable for a single artist. However, getting help with the concept phase of the competition would be fine as far as I'm concerned. I'm far from creative when it comes to these things and always get stuck in the concept phase and never make a start on the actual 3D. Give me a solid concept and I can build the thing without problems.
    Sure this comes off as a bit of a cop out and I should use opportunities like these to improve on my creativity and my illustration. But at the end of the day, you are being judged on the final character and not the concept image (or model sheet). That's what the 2D entries are for, right?

That aside, I actually plan to finish this year!

-caseyjones
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    This looks like a good way to put the new forum calendar to use for something besides birthdays.

:)