Home Technical Talk

Help needed: Folds/Wrinkles in Zbrush

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
I´m desperately trying to sculpt folds into a t-shirt or jeans, but it doesn´t look like i want it.
The problem is not, that i don´t know how the folds should look like, i just don´t know how to do them in Zbrush.

Please help me or i´m going insane:poly142:

Replies

• Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    Can you show us what you're using for reference and how the sculpt is looking so far?

We might be able to help a bit more if we have some visual indicators of what needs to be done- also have a look for the pdf file of Burne Hogarth's Dynamic Wrinkles and Drapery book as it's invaluable as a guide to how clothes flow whether static or dynamically.

As for tools, try playing around with either elastic or standard brush and play with the focal point, thanks Vahl for this tip :) as this creates some nice flowing folds and creases :)

Sorry I can't help any more as I'm about to head out for the rest of the day but someone else should be able to help you :)
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    yeah, post your reference photo, and a screenshot from zbrush
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    figurezs4.jpg

I would post a reference image, but due to a lack of a good digital cam I have to use my mirror.As you can see, my wrinkles are...just horrible.I tried many things like Move Brush+Smooth, Clay+Smooth,Slash Brush+Smooth, but nothing works as intended :(

PS: Shirtbase needs to be redone, it´s to short on the arms.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did some practice and i´ve done the Shirt, maybe the Nudge Tool is my friend, what do you think?I hope there are some improvements :)

Here the pic:
    figurelr4.jpg
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    just grab refs from google, shitloads of imags of shirts , pants etc , using the mirror is kinda retarded on clothing sine folds will never look the same each time you go to it. google is your friend :)
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Johny wrote: »
    just grab refs from google, shitloads of imags of shirts , pants etc , using the mirror is kinda retarded on clothing sine folds will never look the same each time you go to it. google is your friend :)

If you refer to the trousers, i will redo them, they where my very first try for sculpting folds ;)
    Any suggestions/crits on the shirt(except google, i keep that in mind and i will do so)?
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    The cloth looks like its floating, not being affected by gravity. Things I like to keep in mind when sculpting cloth is anchor points, seams in the clothing, thickness of the cloth, gravity (!) and the underlying form. The direction of your folds don't make sense, they look pretty random at the moment.

Keep it up, cloth is a hard thing to master.And don't be gentle, use the standard brush to scratch in some lines, then smooth and repeat. Break up the bigger folds to make wrinkles once you're happy with their placement.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco wrote: »
    The cloth looks like its floating, not being affected by gravity. Things I like to keep in mind when sculpting cloth is anchor points, seams in the clothing, thickness of the cloth, gravity (!) and the underlying form. The direction of your folds don't make sense, they look pretty random at the moment.

Keep it up, cloth is a hard thing to master.And don't be gentle, use the standard brush to scratch in some lines, then smooth and repeat. Break up the bigger folds to make wrinkles once you're happy with their placement.

Since this is for practice i will do it again till someone says it actually looks good/realistic :), thanks for the advices soo far ;)
  • ploon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try adding gravity to an inflate brush, also what I do is warm up on any old
    mesh for awhile to get the hang of what I want to achieve rather than jump
    straight in and try and work on something important to me.
    Set the brush to a low value and build it up, and work on the lowest division you can before dividing again.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My biggest problem is, to make it look like that some of the wrinkles are
    "crestfallen", it just looks like little hills for me not like folds if i try to use the standard brush

PS: What do you mean with "add some gravity to the inflat brush"?
    Just using the inflate brush, so that it looks like it´s affected to gravity?
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    as already mentioned, get a solid photo reference (there are tons of reference in the interwebs) and follow it.

IMO sculpting folds is not different than sculpting muscles or wrinkles or stones etc. at the end its just replicating the forms and details. sculpting something realistic is fundamentally all about pure observation. you may think you know what folds look like, but observation has many levels.

there is no special technique or special brush or special alpha, its just focused observation and replicating it. when i sculpt folds in mudbox all i use is the default brush at default falloff. i may need to change the brush size often and use the smooth brush but nothing else is really needed to create good folds.

however, one thing that is important in cloth sculpting more than anything is a high level of control on your hand. being able to freehand draw a smooth curve or ability to draw a straight line without any guides is very important. this level of precision comes with practice obviously.

also, post your reference image.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    standard smooth and flatten seem to do the job for me.

work lower down the levels, building up major shapes then sharpen as you go up
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Good advice from MM there.
    MM wrote: »
    being able to freehand draw a smooth curve or ability to draw a straight line without any guides is very important.

Or you could use LazyMouse in ZBrush ;)
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theres 7 types of folds. google these,
    pipe fold, diaper fold, zigzag fold, half-lock fold, spiral fold, drop fold and inert fold. Theres a book about this called "Fabulous Folds", check it out, its pretty good and should help you understand folds and how they...become?

edit, i couldn't find the book i mentioned before, but i have this one at home and its pretty good as well, Dynamic Wrinkles
  • benclark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I usually block in my folds using the slash2 brush. Make the brush really big at a low intensity.

then its a case of going in with the standard brush and making them look more realistic. but decent reference is a must
  • nome_sane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had a look for what Johnny Raptor mentioned and found this which may be helpful.....
    http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=gszCU5xyJQQC&printsec=frontcover&dq=drawing+people

Also check out Richard Smith's tutorial....
    http://gnomonology.com/tutorial/343
  • ploon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To add gravity to the brush go to the brush menu at the top, theres a slider that lets you add a gravity to your stroke.
    I'd have to agree with some of the great advice being given also that its not necessarliy the brush but an understanding
    of the form and flow of something that makes the job easier (and lazy mouse...)
    Great title for a book, Dynamic Wrinkles!:)
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also you have a free tutorial by Scott Eaton on Pixologics website, he has a section dedicated to sculpting cloth that should help you out some more, check it out here

http://www.pixologic.com/zclassroom/artistinaction/scotteaton/
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow thanks for all the answers and suggestions, i will take my time to look for all of them.

In the meantime I played around with towels,t-shirts etc.

I made a new Shirt(which is quite unfinished, but maybe it´s better then the last trys)

figurent3.jpg

As you can see, the left side is quite unattended, but that will change and hopefully there are some improvements(even if only little)

Edit:

Here is the Reference Image I used(it´s me, i look tired i know *g*):
    referenceimageku2.jpg
    nome_sane wrote: »
    I had a look for what Johnny Raptor mentioned and found this which may be helpful.....
    http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=gszCU5xyJQQC&printsec=frontcover&dq=drawing+people

Also check out Richard Smith's tutorial....
    http://gnomonology.com/tutorial/343

I wanted to buy the Tutorial from Gnomonology, but I don´t own a Credit Card and since no other payment options are given I unfortunately can´t buy it :(
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    nice link JohnnyRaptor. these brushes work quite well.

I have really been struggling with creases myself, but after days I realised that my base mesh

just didn't have enough geometry in it and although the creases I painted were quite sharp

and looked ok , they still looked weird.

I realised that is was because I was losing the silhouette from level 6 subdividision when I moved down to level 1.

it was kind of like painting creases on a barrel:)

so yeah make sure that the major creases you paint are actually supported by enough

underlying geometry or from certain angles/viewpoints they will almost disappear

I suppose a lot of artists will just build the low poly around the high poly anyway, but

for me at least it was a little 'eureka' moment

my brush setting are standard brush with low value, perhaps 10 or 12, no alpha and gravity about 26 .

works really well if you go over the stroke a few time, like sketching kind of.

crease brush to sharpen a 'little'