Home Technical Talk

AO maps and 2 UV sets

I've been looking through past posts for something about creating an AO map for a large environment, but not getting an answer for my problem.

I want to put my diffuse, spec and normal in one uv set, and my ao map in a second uv set. I don't know how to do that.

Basically, my scene has many different pieces, and I want to combine those different pieces into one giant piece. Create a new (second) uv set, run an ao pass on that, and put that into a second map channel, so that it's overlayed, or multiplyed with the first map channel. That way my scene will look better.

If possible, a tutorial would be awesome in both Max and Maya.

This would be for ps3/360 as well.

I hope I'm being clear with my question. :\

Cheers.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
  • genericname
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I found that post, but it didn't really answer my question. It doesn't say how to do it in Max and/or Maya. It just says that I need to combine them into one giant model, and then cut them apart.

I was looking for help with when I have my giant model and the second uv layout is done, what do I do from there.

How do I create a second map channel, and make it so the ao is showing up on my models, or how do I cut my giant ao map apart so it fits with my original models.

Cheers.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Max 2009 lets you apply a single UVW Unwrap modifier to a bunch of objects, without attaching them. I'm not sure if it lets you use its Flatten or Normal auto-mapping tools on all the pieces at once, but you might start there.
  • gamel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Normal Maps and Bump Maps both serve the same purpose: they simulate the impression of a detailed 3D surface, by modifying the shading as if the surface had lots of small angles, rather than being completely flat. Because it's just modifying the shading of each pixel, this will not cast any shadows and will not obstruct other objects. If the camera angle is too flat to the surface, you will notice that the surface is not really shaped.Both bump maps and normal maps work by modifying the normal angle (the direction pointing perpendicular from a face), which influences how a pixel is shaded. Although the terms normal map and bump map are often used synonymously, there are certain differences: