Home Technical Talk

Photoshop CS4 if you hate it these might help.

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
malcolm polycount sponsor
Hi, so I have recently been upgraded to cs4 at work and I am totally hating it, I thought cs3 was bad but cs4's bad performance and new interface are just frustrating. Please note we're using cs4 not extension 2 so maybe extension 2 fixes some of the issues? Any ways I thought I would share some tips/work arounds if you don't like cs4 and wish you could go back in time to cs2.

1. cs4 now wants to use tabs for everything, I used to be able to drag images on to photoshop and have them open as a floating window, now they open as a tab super annoying. I've find you can turn off tabs in the preferences but images still open in a tab if you drag a image onto photoshop. The work around for this is to drag the image onto photoshop and drop it onto the layers pallette, the image will then open in a floating window like normal.

2. When I zoom in 300% or higher and try to pan around the image by holding space + lmb and scrolling the mouse around I get unusable performance, photoshop has to redraw the screen while panning it is so painful. The work around for this is to go into preferences under performance and turn on use open gl, then expand all the settings for open gl and turn all of those off? Looks like they fucked something up when they integrated gl support I'm sure this is video card specific but I have a quadro work station card and I am experiencing the problem. You need to close cs4 and reopen before the performance issue is fixed when panning zoomed in.

3. Adjustment layers pallette. I absolutely hate this thing, I used to be able to add an adjustment layer double click tweak it's properties hit enter or esc if I did not want to keep the settings I just changed. Now I double click the pallette and this lame pallette appears blocking half my screen and never goes away until I manually close it and the esc key no longer works for closing it. The best work around for this thing it to break it off into it's own seperate floating pallette and collapse it to an icon and store it on the left side of the screen, at least that way it auto hides when I'm done tweaking settings and I can still see history and layers while it is visible.

Hope these work arounds help someone took me a while to figure it out.

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hey thanks for the tips!

We tried CS4 at work the other day and pretty much everybody I heard feedback from disliked it. What annoys me the most is that all these performance issues, lags, flickering aso sound very minor on paper, making CS4 'good enough' for non daily users hence making it look like it is worth the upgrade (CS4 being forced in by Adobe for new licenses anyways).

I hate how the fullscreen modes toggle is now slower than ever. One can see little parts of the interface appear one after the other instead of a snappy swap. It was getting slower in CS3, now it's much much worse... Little things, but annoying at the end of the day.

Does the extension pack 2 fix the 6D pen issue? First thing I noticed in CS4 was the twist not being taken into account.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    don't you guys have an option to resist the upgrade mania? i am still on 7 at work because i do everytime the topic comes up. unlike with 3d apps, you hardly lose out on compatibility if you stick with something that works. i'd hate to have a slow, nasty and unreliable resourcewaster (tried CS3...) for something as simple as shifting pixels arounds. so far i seem to be losing out on nested layer sets from coworker's PSD's or the odd font, big deal...
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    thomasp wrote: »
    so far i seem to be losing out on nested layer sets from coworker's PSD's... big deal

Doesn't that mean if you save the PSD, they will lose the nested layer sets information when they open it again in CS2 or whatever? Breaking someone's layer setup, isn't that a bit inconsiderate?
    Unless it actually does preserve that information somehow even if you save in an older version?
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    thomasp, for me I started a new job and when I got there the art team was working on cs4 so there's no option to go back. Also I noticed adobe has removed all reference to cs2 cs3 from their website so I'm guessing they are pushing cs4 on everyone whether it is a downgrade to our workflow or not.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    Doesn't sound like adobe's first steps into hardware acceleration have been very good. I'm usually ok with their 'organizational' changes to their UI that seem to happen with each release (whether I agree with them or not, I eventually get used to them)... but performance hits... especially on today's hardware, when the nature of the app itself hasn't really changed is kinda disheartening. I spend money on hardware to get better performance out of my software, not to give devs an excuse for shitty code. I like some of the stuff that's gone into CS4 but I'm not committed to upgrading yet.
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    great trick about draggin to the layers pallette. god this tab set up is annoying. But its worth having a canvas i can rotate finally.
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    while the tabs are rather annoying I still like CS4 alot after working with it for some weeks now. I hated it in the beginning but mostly because of the different ui-scheme which I found rather annoying. Some weeks in it I set up everything to fit my workflow (all paletes on screen2 not accesible by tablet to just get the status information eg) and I don't experience any major performence drop.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    after two weeks of using cs4 i'm now back to cs3, the performance hits on just simple things are just really annoying.
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    Im not sure if some of you tried it but upgrading to the November release of dx9.0c helped the performance a little. It's still slower than cs3 and occasionally lags up.. and hates big brushes. But it is better than nothing. For nvidia card users you could always try the beta drivers. They kinda lock my system up after restarting photoshop (open, close and reopen) but Ive heard it works for other people so...

Also.. personally I find the new UI a lot better :)

Draggable brush resize = Oh yes! I used to use the zoom buttons on my tablet but finally I can actually have a zoom on the tablet.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    Kawe wrote: »
    Also.. personally I find the new UI a lot better :)
    but not from a performance side.
    When opening tabs aside from each other it eats a hell lot more the ram
    from
    http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb404439
    Image window management

Image windows use more RAM in Photoshop CS4, than in previous versions, and is especially true if the Application Frame is selected. The Application Frame makes every tabbed image the size of the entire monitor. When you open the same number of images that you opened in previous versions of Photoshop, you may now get an Out of RAM error message, or Photoshop might run slowly. If this occurs, close some image windows, and/or turn off Application Frame.
    and in general I think they fucked up the performance mainly resulting from the new GUI
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    MoP wrote: »
    Breaking someone's layer setup, isn't that a bit inconsiderate?

yeah i think so, too. i shall slap them more often from now on if they try that stunt again, promise. that'll teach 'em. beware of latest-version-pussies. :)