Home Technical Talk

Can someone define "a clean model"?

Junkie_XL
polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
I am really struggling with this idea of what a "clean model" is. I feel it is holding me back as an aspiring high-poly artist.

Let's look at what employers "ask" for...
http://www.epicgames.com/jobs/character_modeler.html
"Ability to model clean models" it says.

Can someone define what that really means? Now I understand that keeping it all in quads works best for ZBrushing organics or deep dents & scratches in a metal surface...but what about the rest of content creation? Should it really matter what the FINAL integrity of the model is so long as the shading groups look good and show no flaws? That's all that matters IMO before the normal map is baked...

The idea of Sub-D modeling has me so worried about making sure my hard-surface stuff is all in quads that it is taking me away from the "art" and joy of making models that I once had a passion for...but lately it is just starting to feel like a chore. I know how to keep all my loops and rings perfect for making my basic shapes and even nice sharp corners when needed...but when it is time to detail and cut out small angled techie paneling and grooving in various torque screw hole shapes, do I still need to keep it all quads? This is where I start pulling my hair out.

Sometimes I just want to grab the boolean / pro-boolean tools when it comes time to get down to the last minute details...but is this frowned upon?...people are always like "show us teh wirez!"

Even top devs use Polygon Cruncher to get their stuff back into max and that certainly destroys the quad integrity. So should I be so worried about this idea of "clean" whatever that is?

Replies

• Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Its another way of saying 'really good' models. Anyone can throw a messy model together that looks like what its meant to be but fewer know how to do flowing contiguous forms broken up with intricate detail without pinching and stretching on the models surface.
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its another way of saying 'really good' models. Anyone can throw a messy model together that looks like what its meant to be but fewer know how to do flowing contiguous forms broken up with intricate detail without pinching and stretching on the models surface.

So in other words, "contiguous flowing" means keep it all in quads no matter what? I have no intention of making "messy" as I stated above...should the final model matter so long as the shading groups show no errors?

EDIT: nvm, I think I know what you're saying.
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you need to pick apart Kevin's description some more (btw he works at Epic): you need to know how to model for form, deformation, and so the details in the texture look their best during deformation. This isn't just the job of a game-resolution modeler, since if your high-resolution model is not planned properly there is little that can be done after the fact. There is no exact definition of 'clean' model- they could just as well say 'excellent'. If it said 'excellent' I doubt there would be fewer questions about definition though...
  • Reverenddevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reverenddevil polycounter lvl 9
    Contiguous means that it is a nice solid piece of geometry and works properly, usually one solid piece of geometry without intersections of other geometry. Look at Kevins's stuff, his stuff is top notch and is what everyone should pretty much strive for in my opinion.

You want to make sure that your low poly reads in game, lights properly in whatever engine youre company uses and isnt wasting tri's and causing system meltdowns. Keeping a game ready model in quads is not necessary nor needed. You can have tris but avoid n gons and bad flowing topology, which you can still do with tri's. This also varies between environments/props and characters or things that need deformation. If your object needs to animate and deform then the topology needs to be a little higher nd much cleaner to allow the deformation. It is also a question though of it depends on the situation.
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you need to pick apart Kevin's description some more (btw he works at Epic): you need to know how to model for form, deformation, and so the details in the texture look their best during deformation. This isn't just the job of a game-resolution modeler, since if your high-resolution model is not planned properly there is little that can be done after the fact. There is no exact definition of 'clean' model- they could just as well say 'excellent'. If it said 'excellent' I doubt there would be fewer questions about definition though...

To be honest, you lost me there. I think it should go without saying that the lower poly version has correct form for deformation.
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Look at Kevins's stuff, his stuff is top notch and is what everyone should pretty much strive for in my opinion.

Link?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    you can tell when you look at a model if its clean or messy. are there loads of verts not defining the form? are there bunched up areas of polys and other areas look blocky? very long and thin polygons? lots of polygons but still a blocky undefined shape?

booleans are fine, but you need to clean them up afterwards- most of the time they will leave lots of little polys and edges that are useless and will cause nightmares rigging..

if you know what looks messy, look at that and do the opposite :)

edit: not sure if anyone already mentioned, but poly crunch will not be used on actual game assets, that will only be for the high poly model that gets baked down to normal map. the high poly model does *not have to be clean, so long as it shades correctly (although it might help in some cases)
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster wrote: »
    you can tell when you look at a model if its clean or messy. are there loads of verts not defining the form? are there bunched up areas of polys and other areas look blocky? very long and thin polygons? lots of polygons but still a blocky undefined shape?

booleans are fine, but you need to clean them up afterwards- most of the time they will leave lots of little polys and edges that are useless and will cause nightmares rigging..

if you know what looks messy, look at that and do the opposite :)

edit: not sure if anyone already mentioned, but poly crunch will not be used on actual game assets, that will only be for the high poly model that gets baked down to normal map. the high poly model does *not have to be clean, so long as it shades correctly (although it might help in some cases)

Indeed. Thanks.

Yes I am specifically talking about high-poly in this thread.
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL wrote: »
    To be honest, you lost me there. I think it should go without saying that the lower poly version has correct form for deformation.

How can the lower poly have correct form for deformation if the high-poly does not? The only thing you are defining on a game-rez model is topology. If it doesn't already have everything else correct then it will not be as good as it can be. This normally passes fine at most studios (low-poly model adjustment after the fact), but I would seriously doubt you could be a sculptor at Epic if your stuff ever needed fixing in the low-poly stage.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rob, you're not being wilfully ignorant? I'd assume not, so I might be misinterpreting you.

You build the lowpoly over the highpoly, and make sure it has the right amount of rings for deformation on limbs, and make sure nothing collapses. What does this have to do with the highpoly? Topology-wise, if everything's in order, the highpoly has no significance on the way the lowpoly deforms.
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right, you build the low-poly on top of the high-poly. But the body is not composed of noodles, nor arbitrary lumps. For example, given a character's default pose- how much definition do you give to muscle groups, or an elbow, given how it will need to move? How do you model a knee on someone in a straight-legged pose?

You can have the best shoulder topology in the world, but if the forms aren't in the right place it will never look right when it deforms. I suppose some of this is common sense and won't be an issue with perfect anatomy- these aren't really issues on human-like characters because we know very clearly what the forms are 'supposed' to look like, so we don't run into these problems. But I've skinned up many creatues or garments where I look at it and say 'that's awesome' and then get to a certain part of it and say 'how is that supposed to deform?' It isn't a question of topology as much as it is a question of the underlying form many times (more often it is topology though). And things like that are problems in the sculpting stage. Loard knows they usually deform 'well enough' to not make changes or to adjust the low-poly after-the-fact, but that isn't the point.

Add to this the fact that most games have a handful of rigs they use for all characters (especially bipeds), and yes, it is very important to have forms and mass placed correctly on your high poly. Aside from what I mentioned above in a more abstract sense, I've had many models (including from our senior guys) where they weren't modeled intelligently for the rig they needed to go on. Or elaborating on the garments mentioned above, I've had to shrug my shoulders many times when we get garments where they'll put something rigid where it cannot go, for practical/deformation reasons. We're not simulating muscles and skin yet in real-time so understanding deformation is essential when planning the models and making the high-poly, or things will be where they shouldn't, even if they look great in the sculpt pose.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    You guys worry to much over semantics. Just make cool stuff!
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    You guys worry to much over semantics. Just make cool stuff!

:poly136:
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Pior: right! thats why I didnt even address the quads question!

http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=54311
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pior: right! thats why I didnt even address the quads question!

http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=54311

That stuff is ace. I was asking for shortcuts but it looks like you just tough it out keeping it all in quads mostly. How long does some of that take you?

I'd love to see teh wirez.

EDIT: The more I look at that stuff the more jealous I get...lol Amazing work dude. So I take it you do some of that stuff in patches & nurbs? You talk about the Surface & Cross Section modifiers...I'd love to see a tutorial by you making one of your objects. I'd pay top dollar for it actually... :)