Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Akuma (Anim)

StephenVyas
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
I had a really fun time making this animation.

Akuma's Warmup Before His Next Fight
Akuma's_warmup.jpg
http://gamerreel.com/Animations/Akuma's_warmup.avi

Thanks For Watching!

Replies

• JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Ha ha, that was pretty enjoyable man... I reaallly get a sense of solid flow, and some good weighting as well.

This is a bit nitpicking but for me it is very noticeable (again though... nit picking) sometimes his toes are bent, while other times it looks like its intersecting with the ground plane, I don't know if this will be noticeable to others, but it kinda bugged me.

Also, the sound for the most part is awesome, but the last kick he does (looks like he does 3 kicks in the air then hits the ground) it only plays sounds for 2, and it loses that "umph" i think you're trying to go for with the last kick.

Really nice set as well, very very basic but it does the trick, the silhouette adds a nice calmness to it, so nice job on that... if anything (to make it cooler) I would add maybe a small formation of rocks, or even some grassy patches to make it look more organic and "real".

Solid portfolio piece non the less man, so great job on that :)

Also... the name in the video says Stephen Vias... but your post name says Stephen Vyas... WTF!!!!??? :P
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the Tips and Observations, Jason!

I tried them out, and liked the way they improved the piece. Cheers

Updated the link above.
  • Razorb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    ooo nice nice i like the style u got goin!
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    great animation.

one technical failure: The harsh umpf sound ends with an high peak which makes it "click". Fade it out on both end and youd be fine
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    HMMM! (drinks slirpy)

Really dig the animation! I could see this as a warm up pre fight animation or load splash screen!
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Niiceee Stephen, its cool that you took the crits and did something with them, I like seeing that man :)

I like your animations on your website too, some nice stuff man. Are you working right now or looking for work?
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Razorb

_Shimmer, you must have ears like superman. After checking into my sound byte, i saw what you heard. Updated the Link Above

Thanks Seforin, after reading your comment I'm craving for a slirpy now.
    Also, I got your message- I'll be back at my computer later on tonight, after the hockey game. We can chat anytime after that.

Thanks Jason, the recent animations on the website are dated from 2006- Because of this, I'm adding some new material, such as the akuma warmup, so that I'll have a up to date reel to apply for a job.
    Currently I'm taking some time off, however after the Holiday Break I'll be looking for some more work.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    AKUMA!!!

Awesome stuff, Steve. Glad to see you posting your stuff on Polycount. We need more animators of your caliber posting stuff :) Not much to add ontop of what has already been said///Very cool, hope to see more.

Gav
  • e_x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    e_x polycounter lvl 18
    It would be nice to see him hit some more iconic Akuma poses, or do more special moves like a proper hurricane kick coming back. Right now it looks like anyone warming up.
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks G

Valid point E_X, and it's something I actually thought indepth about in the initial thumbnail planning stage.

Given that this was a studio project, it's likely that I would have kept closer to 'model'. -Depending on how strict or flexible the director was, I still would have liked to throw in my version of certain moves and poses.

Seeing this a opportunity to have fun, I didn't want to cheat myself out of the creative process by copying another animator's poses & actions that's been done before. I really enjoyed what I did and what the outcome looks like.