Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Multiple Grenade Launcher 24

Whoo, first post here. I've been putting posting here off for a while because I see all of the talent floating around and it is just overwhelming. I also have been in school ever since summer ended, which has impeded my progress on anything I am working on.

Anyways, the more talented everyone else is, the more criticism they can offer me. :)

I work on low detail models for the RTS engine Spring, mostly, but sometimes I decide to work on something that has more detail out of boredom.

Now, onward to the model, which is still WIP.
Modeled in Wings3d, 1934 tris.

brpeztpicg.jpg

kwtxlcgfud.jpg

brpeztpicg.jpg

kwtxlcgfud.jpg

Replies

• steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    Welcome to Polycount!
    I like your design, it would probably look cool from 1st person view. The big blocky thing in front of the trigger, I think it would look better over all if you removed that part, but kept the block thing after that, as it could be the ammunition clip. Might want to add more cuts to the handle and make it more form fitting for the hand, and texture this sucker up, you got yourself a cool lookin light SMG!
    Edit: oh oops! I guess you are trying to go for a grenade launcher rather than an SMG. For that, I would recommend making the front barrel much larger in order to *BOOMF* those suckers right out
  • Snipawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, it could work as an SMG also, I may make two versions. I'll take a look at the blocky thing and handle after school. Then I'll see about anything else that needs changing and it may be ready to be textured.
  • Snipawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whoa, I've been gone a long time, just got caught up in school and all the new games coming out, I suppose. Dead Space is awesome.

Made the MGL and SMG/Combat Rifle versions.
    Combat Rifle has its own grenade launcher.
    MGL barrel size increased a bit, IIRC.
    Can't really remember any other substantial changes.

asfmereghe.jpg

strejnrfbc.jpg

sfkusgatni.jpg
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like this gun.

A few things tho:

The rail seems to be kind of big. I'm all about the form over function thing, but to me rails should be shaped the right way. It's something I still struggle with a lot. It seems like the segments on the top rail are too fat.

How are you going to be building this? Is it going to be baked down into a normal map? It seems like there is a really uneven distribution of details. The front grip has all the ridges built into it, and that seems kind of excessive. Is there a trigger for that grenade launcher?

Do you have a concept to work from or are you building as you design?
  • Snipawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just building as I go. Yeah, the rails do seem a tad long. If this were to be textured, the ridges on the front grip could probably be done by a normal/bump map. I've never baked anything before, so I'm not too sure about baking it down. I may just save a few more polygons on the ridges and things, then paint the normals myself, I don't like the idea of making a hi poly and low poly version of the same thing. If I have to bake it, then I'll probably get into z-brush or something similar.

I've shortened it up a bit, combined the segments on top to make little "bars," kind've like on other modern rails. I've also added an intrusion to the middle of the rail. The pic says it all, I believe.

ejljcqedpx.jpg