Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Barbarian chick

Replies

• t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Looking good there, mate. Can't wait to see the textures.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    what are your plans with skinning the cloth? right now i'd say you should put the same topology into that skirt thingie as you have of her leg, why is it less detailled anyways? It's closer to the viewer.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    thanks! i was out for a while, doing mini challenges etc. but i'll go wrap this up soon.

neox: you mean the skirt thingie needs more geometry? or more texture space? hmm it is gonna be a bitch to deform that correctly... didn't really think about that yet. thanks. (i'm quite bad at skinning myself, so i won't create a tutorial on that).
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    geometry, it will clip alot unles you want to rig it seperately from the leg :)
  • 3DGURU
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DGURU polycounter lvl 17
    & the Texturing ? :) .
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [excuses]yeah yeah i know :P it feels a little like an obligation though, because i can't just go "hey let's work on that today", open up the files and start but i have to set up the capturing software, then think about the shitload of editing work i'm gonna have to do afterward and i have the constant feeling of being watched, so my work is less cool than normal, because i'm more careful somehow. [/excuses]

i'll work on it after i have my current model done. (mini challenge = deadline)
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    next part!

Barbarian Chick Video tutorial Part 3: Color Blockin and AO with Faogen.

This is a short update, here we'll basically render out an ao (ambient occlusion) pass and multiply it over the basic colors.
    At this stage the texturing is far from done, but because of the ao it makes it look a lot better already.

I used Faogen to create the AO. somehow i skipped (didn't capture) the part where i saved and opened it up in Photoshop.. but that's pretty much self-explanatory.

The reason why I get all the weird black spots on the thighs and lower arms is because I have mirrored uv's there, so it bakes the ao of the floating geometry from both sides onto it.

rusteddreams.net/faogen.html

now back to ratcliffe :D.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    I'm not digging this texture man, i gotta say. Maybe rushing your self to do the tutorial is effecting your work or something, but this isnt up to par with your normal stuff. The colors are lifeless (and ripped from the concept painting) and the forms just read as messy.

I like the UV/AO workflow/Modelling, and the tutorial seems useful, but it's definitely not the best showcase of your work.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i know :(. lately i've been having issues with texture painting... somehow it doesn't work out the way i want it to. and i don't enjoy texturing as i used to.
    modeling is much more fun, and actually i find that unwapping is sometimes fun to do too :).
    I think i'm gonna have to do something about this.. somehow my ratcliffe texture is turning out sloppy and weird as well. any ideas on what to do?

haha i sound like one of those writers who are having a writers block and keep on whining about it :P.
  • 3DGURU
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DGURU polycounter lvl 17
    still nice , but what about another vid that enhances the tex ? :)

thanks .
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I would suggest that at some point, you take some time to screenshot the 3ds viewport, bring that to photoshop, and paintover until it looks right to you. Then turn that layer on and off. You will see very clearly what needs to be updated - most likely : the relative placement of feature, and maybe some UV stretching making stuff look neat on the texture map but odd on the model.

Then you can project that on the current UVs, or paste that in the diffuse and adjust the UVs accordingly.

This could indeed be a nice step to show in the video tutorial!!