Home General Discussion

job interview, 2-3 hours, why so long?

Replies

• Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    kakikukeko wrote: »
    Hi guys, I have a job interview in two weeks , and I've been told it would take around 2-3 hours..

I am really wondering if we will only talk or if there will be some kind of tests too (they didn't ask me to do any art test)..

Did you have such an experience before?
    It takes 1 hour for the body scanner to warm up. Then they will clone you and make the clone work for free.
  • Jonathan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think for my current job, the interview took about 7-8 hours, and I actually started to get a cramp in my jaw from all the talking towards the end of the day. :D

Obviously, the interview went well. :)
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    Man, you guys make me feel self conscious about my recent puny 45 minute interview. Jeez

In my experience, the smaller the studio, the longer the interview.

Hearing bigger companies taking long interviews is news to me, but interesting.
  • Judd Roy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LOL, yeah, 2-3 hours will be cake, you'll do fine. Last couple I've had were at least 6hrs. Good luck Kak.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    I no have interview.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Pseudo wrote: »
    There is no way you can get an accurate understanding of a workplace in 20 minutes.

Hiring is the most difficult process a team will go through and it's naive to think that anyone can make an informed decision after a half hour chat.

Its naive to think you can make an informed decision after eight hours. A month, a week at the very least can you then be somewhat sure about them.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Calabi wrote: »
    Its naive to think you can make an informed decision after eight hours. A month, a week at the very least can you then be somewhat sure about them.

But to be reasonable, 20 min isn't enough. Of course you can find out more in a week or month but that's not really adding to the discussion here.

I don't think it's unreasonable to have interviews last a half to full day. It's not like they're interviewing with the same person. It gives them a chance to talk with everyone they would be working with when on the job.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    never had an interview go over 2 hours :( I feel so inadequate.

I got asked not too long ago for an 8 hour interview but didnt take them up on it as I already have a cool job. I do find it hard to believe that an interview would last so long though. How do you keep interviewees busy for that amount of time?
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I no have interview.

ME NEITHER!!!
    forever alonee :(
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    In retrospect, most of my interviews were probably closer to an hour than 20 minutes. Regardless, none of them approached the full day interviews that you're discussing here. I can't imagine what one would even discuss in that kind of time period. I tend to run out of things to say after 5 minutes.
  • wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    Yeah me too :)
    I believe my interview was around an hour and then perhaps another hour of being showed around and meet n greeting.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    JordanW wrote: »
    But to be reasonable, 20 min isn't enough. Of course you can find out more in a week or month but that's not really adding to the discussion here.

I don't think it's unreasonable to have interviews last a half to full day. It's not like they're interviewing with the same person. It gives them a chance to talk with everyone they would be working with when on the job.

Yeah, but surely you should get paid for it or some sort of compensatory thing. If you dont get it then its eight hours of your(plus there wasted time) when you could be looking for other jobs or earning or whatever.

We usually make decisions from meeting someone within the first few seconds whether we like them or not. I think all the interview advices have the line first impressions count. 20mins, eight hours, doesnt really make much of a difference.

I think these eight hour interviews are merely formalities, you guys have basically got the job, proven your worth.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    ME NEITHER!!!
    forever alonee :(
    pedrone.jpg
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • metalliandy
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    20 minutes.

If you offer an interview, it's because you've seen the portfolio. The interview is to gauge the person and attempt to figure out if they are a cock or not.

Some people are great to work with and are rubbish at interviews, and grilling them for several hours serves no-one any purpose. It's a waste of everyones time. Trying to get to know people in an interview is pointless, because people have their interview face on - the interviewers as much as the interviewees. Making the interview last for 3 or 5 or 8 ours just prolongs the fake process and puts everyone on edge.

I last 20 minutes. 30 with foreplay.

In my opinion there is merit to spending a little more time. Remember you're interviewing the company as much as they are interviewing you. Take any extra time you get to spend with your potential employers.

I remember I interviewed for a company in California. Some of the guys asked me out for beers. When they started getting drunk, the truth about the stability of the company came out. I declined the job, and 3 months later they went under. If it was just a 20 minute interview I would have taken the job.

Honestly, these days I won't accept a job if I can't at least meet the department I'll be working in.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    My interview is 3 months. No but seriously I think the best way to get to know someone is to do work experience for a few months and work alongside them. By that time you've shared stories, made assets and best of all you've been to the pub with them most days.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Jackablade wrote: »
    I can't imagine what one would even discuss in that kind of time period. I tend to run out of things to say after 5 minutes.

well, you end up saying the same stuff over and over because you're meeting people in small groups.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Interviews for fulltime positions at Microsoft are 8hrs long.