Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

new project (Fantasy Knight Guy)

Replies

• Slingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slingshot polycounter lvl 17
    Keep punching away at the ol' base mesh in Z-brush? Seforin!
    It looks good for what you need to use it for.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    Slingshot: thanks I appreciate the enthusiasm !

Anywho I took alot of what johny, and what earthquake said , ive been practicing alot on and off lately with just muscles I didnt understand with the face.

I did another sculpt of the head (no hair right now) Im trying to get all the key features of the look of this guy in as well as giving him a bit of personality (Old chivlary kinda guy)

But im still having some trouble spots sculpting mainly the lips and eye lid area right now.

Im workin only up to subd 4 right now im really trying not to rush subdivisions , this is where I am before I called it a night

As always critics draw overs or generally giving me some pointers is appreciated :)

hairplacerhead.jpg
    heady.jpg

EDIT: I woke up this morning and I hated the way this looked so bad that im redoing it again
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    press p, to enable perspective, go right back down to your first layer, the edges of his eyes are too far back, his eyelid is too high (so is his eyeball, a little). the edges of his eye has too big a crease, too. bring his chin back, his top lip should be a little further forward than the bottom. his eyebrows should be flatter accross the eye. the face is wayyyy too far forward (the ear should be halfway back, not 4/5).
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    agreed eyes are a bit far back, and also i think the whole face is a bit squished, usually the top of the ear ends at mid eye... and i think your ear is well placed/sculpted.

-Woog
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    did alot of fixes..hanged out with some of the workshop guys lately helped me fix alot of things I wasnt seeing first hand...new update the old sculpt didnt happen like the 2nd mortal kombat movie or super mario brothers movie.

EDIT:

Got motivated more UP UP-date

omgnew.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    looks a lot better to me, much more natural proportions and positions for facial features. good progress in this thread

crits...

there seems to be a lump going horizontally across his head from the cheek bones? it probably just needs a bit of smoothing so its less obvious. the mouth and the cheeks are pushing up against eachother, maybe work on the mouth and its surrounding shapes a bit more. The cheeks look a bit pinched into the lower nose and the nose itself is a little small, pressed into his face, in the profile view. The muscles on his neck should come to more of a V shape they look a little bit too vertical to me. the jaw line is too well defined, a little smoothing would help.

still this head is better than alot of other sculpts Ive seen and even some characters in games.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks but its still not where it needs to be, I was recently told a big fault (which johny still drills into me every time I dont do) and thats using enough reference, but I was explained that I understand form and such , but im not looking at the details of things, which is why stuff I make looks good from a distance but not close. because its all the suttle details that need to be fixed....so im still at this sculpt, hes going to have some beef tossed to him soon dont worry. I havent had a chance to touch it since last time I post, on the other hand as I promised earlier

heres the updated base mesh Im using I think overall its good for getting the job done

newerbase.jpg

I addressed the Pinch points I was talking about before, so far this mesh hasnt given me much issues but ive only sculpted with this new one minorly compared to the old mesh so it might still have wonkyness I havent found//addressed yet.

and as promised the base mesh to download

www.seforin.com/BaseMeshMK4.rar

Feel free to fix topology or the model itself to fit your needs :) I hope this helps people in the community!
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    proportions on your basemesh look a little off; armpits too low, crotch too high, head too big, hands/fingers too thin.

your latest head is a huge step in the right direction. glad to see the progress getting made.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    agree with sect, though no need to worry about the thin fingers though i guess :P XD However, you ARE going to get a pole at the back of the neck (i thought that it being all quads and evenly spaced,wouldnt bother me,but it did, through a pole...)

never ever, NEVER EVER go into a sculpting program without reference images open right next to you. Dont think that staring at them for a long time at some other time would be all the information you'll need. We really dont practice drawing and visualizing anatomy enough so i think its fair to check through your collection of anatomy references while sculpting. Lesson i learned during my "sculpting-only-month".

Also, do NOT associated yourself with a particular sculpt. Just make em and toss them away.Make.Learn.Toss.Repeat. Learn as MUCH as you can from a sculpt and engrave it into your mind, then terminate!For example, youve been tweaking the same head in the last few posts where you should have started anew (smoothing everything out and starting from the lowest division doesnt count as a new start as far as im concerned)

Everything looks great :D
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ugh , totally necroing this thread...but started to pick it up again, I want to try and get this guy built finally so alot of testing and studying ive been doing on the side, heres the newer base mesh.....If I dont post a sculpt progress within the next 3 days everyone has the offical right to shun' me all they want :p

things were changed majorly since I was doing alot of mini sculpts on and off lately (street fighter 4 being the latest) that tested out several versions of this mesh, after the latest sculpt I think Ive made a mesh that I feel comftorable enough to work easier with now.

Credit goes to polyhertz for giving me pointers/helping me fix this time and time again.

omg_its_new_gumbi.jpg