Home Technical Talk

Unreal3 Normal Map compression fix

Hey guys,

I think using good settings for import NM (.tga) in UEngine:

Unrealimport.jpg

When NM texture imported, results are pretty nice, but once the package saved and UEngine restarted, the quality is decreasing a lot! (even in 2048*2048)

compression.jpg

I know that quality decrease a lot with NM compression but in the UE3 Game packages, many NM textures get pretty good quality ....Somebody know about issue???

Replies

• svcoyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you noticing any difference in how its rendered in engine.
    Im not sure what kind of nm compression they are doing. I know some game engine will drop a color channel (like green) and rebuild it real time.
  • Scott_W
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unreal quarters every texture on package reload. So if you import a 2048 and then save the package and re-open it, you'll be seeing the 1024 mip of the texture and not the native 2048.

What you want to do is force the texture to display the highest resolution mip level. In the generic browser, right-click the texture sample to bring up the properties. Find the LOD Bias setting which will be "0" by default. Change this to -1. You should see the change take place immediately after you do this.

The texture will still be compressed, but it will appear more detailed because of the higher detailed mip level being displayed.
  • bastienbox3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx a lot Scott !!! It s working much better !!! :) more smooth, no artefacts....

LODBias.jpg