Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Witcher Dryad

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
I made this for the Witcher Fan Art contest on deviantart; unfortunately I overestimated the time I had remaining and I found out I missed the deadline this morning :\

Its based upon one of CD Projekt's concepts for the Dryad Morenn; I took some license with area's of the design so its not quite a straight recreation.

There's another half of the project that I want to finish; an undead version of Morenn that I'll get to when internet's restored at my apartment. I'm also working on a small scene and Unreal 3 renders of her that I'll finish in the coming days. I'd appreciate any kind of suggestions or critique's on this and what's to come, regarding modeling, texturing, presentation . . . everything really. I'll respond asap

These are what I was going to submit, no photoshopping beyond compositioning; I'll get more utilitarian pictures up later

winningPose.jpg
beautyRender.jpg
constructionShot.jpg
textureSheet.jpg

Really wish I hadn't missed that deadline :(

Replies

• John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    cool mon. that zbrush model is pretty nice. i'm sorry to say that soemthing has gone ratha wrong with the final render.. the normal map doesn't look like it's working.. it's very.. very.. lumpy.

that combined map, i think, is ruining things.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Uh, John, I think the "combined map" part of the image is just Slipstream showing what the diffuse/spec/normal look like together.

Slipstream: Pretty cool model - I like the proportions and the poses, and the colours are pretty nice too. Nice breasts - they don't look like implants, as we see a lot of around here :)

My main crits:
    - Her face is very expressionless.
    - The lighting setup is pretty weird, you have a fill light as strong as your key light I think, it's making the parts of her that should be in shadow look really light and the end result is very "plastic" looking. The worst example is in the 2nd image, on her stomach... that looks very strange, but Ithink it's purely due to your light setup.
    - Her leg clipping through torso in the 1st image is pretty obvious. Judging by the wireframe image, you could do with at least one more edge loop around her hip/thigh connection area, that might be better for deformation.
    - Very obvious seam on the inside of the leg, it's red in front and green at the back. Most obvious in the 1st pic.
    - Nipples should have a touch of red in them?

The ZBrush grab is my favourite part of this - I think with some more attention to the colour variations in the diffuse texture, and with less specular & better lighting setup (resulting in less of a "plastic" look) I think this piece would be greatly improved.

Keep it up! :)
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks John and Mop. I'll get all of that fixed asap :)
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Making the rounds through projects.
    I think I've been looking at her texture for too long; I desaturated alot of the green, knocked down the specularity, altered the lighting, but I still think some things are missing from the texture, which makes me really just want to start over. =/
    I worked on her evil counterpart, and started on the scene in unreal. I'm currently trying to figure out volumetric lighting, and getting unreal to maintain my texture resolution

Dryad_004.jpg
    Dryad_005.jpg
    dryadUT3_001.jpg
    dryadUT3_002.jpg
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
    I'm currently trying to figure out volumetric lighting, and getting unreal to maintain my texture resolution

Try setting the LODGroup to Vehicle when importing your Textures.
    Very nice work man. :)
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    In addition to what has been said already, I think the posing is really hurting your piece as well.

On the sitting pose, her hands don't seem to support her weight at all, although the pushed up shoulders indicate that they should be. The palm should almost make a 90 degree angle with her arm, with the base of the palm placed flat on the rock, and the fingers clasping around it more tightly. You should vary up the fingers a bit as well, as from the side view they still appear to be in the rigging pose. That makes the hands look almost unposed.

Also, I think the leg that extends the lowest would look more natural if the ball of the foot would still rest on the ground, to push herself up more.

Now on the standing pose, she looks way off-balance. She would need to rest on the stone to do that, but her weight is not on it, she's just touching it. If her weight was on it, that shoulder would be up high, and the other shoulder would drop. Also, this would mean than her hips have to tilt differently to match. Also, the leg pose you have here is not very elegant and her boobs are skewed, which doesn't look good either. It's difficult to see or explain what exactly is wrong with it, so I really suggest you try it out in front of a full lenght mirror, to capture the right rhythm of this pose.

Lastly, I think you lost the feminine elegance of her hands and feet in the lowpoly. I think thinning the fingers and toes may help with this.
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Slaught: Holy cow, the difference is stunning! That's exactly what I needed. Thanks :D

@DemonPrincess: I agree; I didn't put too much thought into the poses, or give much consideration to her weight. And to boot, the rig I made was somewhat . . . utilitarian. Once I have the second model completed, I'll plan out their poses better. This time with more than a passing nod towards gravity. Thanks!
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man nice work, Witcher is a sweet game too, checked it out over the summer. As far as the crits go, i dont think in the first shot your leg is clipping through your torso, what it looks like to me between the image and the low poly is that you modeled a flat front hip structure, so it isnt defroming correctly. your edgeloops should be running from the inner thigh/crotch area to above the hip for ideal deformation, think like an 80s style thong line, that is around where the leg edgeloop should run to keep it from clipping. Overall nice stuff tho! gl with the ud version!

-Woog
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good point, and thanks! I'll try and work that out on her without screwing up the uvs; failing that, I'll use that type of looping for hips from now on