Home Technical Talk

How The F*#% Do I Model This? - Reply for help with specific shapes - (Post attempt before asking)

Replies

• Ionixe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @AlexCatMasterSupreme

Here ya go! The wireframe, back to editing some loops I guess. :3

wireframe.jpg
  • zXe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zXe polycounter lvl 3
    Does anyone have any basic tutorials for modelling low poly heads/faces in 3dsmax?
  • JohanL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Guys got another one for you here :)

6NdeTkm.png

It's a handel for a rifle and I'm having some trouble at the bottom part where the curves need to be somewhat sharp but the overall shape is really smooth (illustrated with the purple lines)

w6TCE6h.png

ZuGL4Qb.png

As you can see from another angel it's not really looking that good. The edge is kind of wonky and pushing out.

The technique I'm using atm is this (if it's apparent).

w3osbJ8.png

cheers!
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Make it 2 objects. Those would be manufactured that way anyhow and it keeps you from having to deal with the beveled inset.
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
  • Hurazan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hurazan polycounter lvl 5
    Hello everybody. So i have struggling with this for quite a while (few years i have no idea how to do this, and i still don't). So here is the problem:

Here i got a revolver and the handle i want to get "gridded"
    2CTBT8j.jpg
    And here i got the grid ready
    F4JdJfE.jpg

But how do i make the grid to follow the shape of the handle?
    If you're working on Max 2012 or so, you can use Conform command in the Graphite Toolbar, on the Freeform tab.

You select your grid object, and on Graphite set the conform target to Surface (usually on Grid by default), then select the handle as the reference surface. Offset to 0.0 and Conform "from camera view".

Make sure your viewport is orthogonal and you're looking straight at the surface you want it to stick on. i.e., make sure it's aligned.

I hope that helps. It's my first time posting to this thread, should I post pictures of the procedure I suggested?
  • JohanL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias wrote: »
    Make it 2 objects. Those would be manufactured that way anyhow and it keeps you from having to deal with the beveled inset.

Hi and thanks for the reply!

I still have the same problem tho =/. The problem is that I can't put a control edge all the way across because that would make the transistion that's suppose to me smooth hard.

54oVrw0.png
  • .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    I guess this should do the trick

9mfwobj4.jpg
    y5s3qr7c.jpg
  • Arnald23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arnald23 polycounter lvl 5
    Heys guys im still pretty new to this but I want to know how can I fix the geo of a cylinder top and bottom after you smooth it. I want to avoid using triangles unless it really necessary.
    c2LcLIH.jpg

Also I would like to know how can I make holes into different type of polygon without using Boolean and screw my geo.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Triangles are fine in flat areas, if you don't want tris, you need to edit your wireframe before smoothing. Basically you want to make sure you don't have a bunch of edges leading to 1 vertex, there's a few ways you can cap it off, but you don't really need to worry about it most of the time.

The easiest way to cut holes is to plan ahead, you can model a hole, delete the faces where it will go, and fill the gap between them.
  • JustMeSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustMeSR polycounter lvl 4
    Arnald23 wrote: »
    Heys guys im still pretty new to this but I want to know how can I fix the geo of a cylinder top and bottom after you smooth it.

You can't...the most you can do is to delete every 2nd edge making it quad only (don't do it if you still want to add edgeloops to your cylinder).

Edit: Or you can fill it in similiar way grid fill does in blender.
    Also I would like to know how can I make holes into different type of polygon without using Boolean and screw my geo.

Inseting or adding edgeloops where you need them and then extruding.
    Or you can boolean it and then rotopo it.
  • Arnald23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the info.
  • Luka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luka polycounter lvl 5
    if you have an even number of sides its possible, but unneded and uslessly time consuming

http://jonpolygon.com/3d-modeling/3d-model-tutorials/quad-geometry-cylinder-cap/
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Or you can throw a little cash at the problem...

http://www.mariussilaghi.com/products/quad-cap
  • JustMeSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustMeSR polycounter lvl 4
    WarrenM wrote: »
    Or you can throw a little cash at the problem...

http://www.mariussilaghi.com/products/quad-cap

I don't want to be that guy recommending blender :\....but the grid fill tool does the same thing for free.

Edit: Oh its's a script...nevermind thought it was a software (jumping to another software just to fill gaps would be painfully uncomfortable) so I told myself that he might as well use blender in those cases.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Arnald: delete the offending cap area and either:

•Change to subobject level 3 for borders, select the hole border. Click "fill hole" in the Edit Poly rollout.

•Apply a fill hole modifier

Then a "turn to poly" modifier with the max sides set to 4.
  • seb3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seb3d polycounter lvl 11
    ...I want to know how can I fix the geo of a cylinder top and bottom after you smooth it. I want to avoid using triangles unless it really necessary. ..
    maybe i´m misunderstanding something in your question here because no one said it before but AFTER smoothing your mesh is quad only so no need to worry about tris anymore!
  • Arnald23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow I want to say thank you so much for the info everyone but now I want to know modeling clothing. I haven't tried modeling clothing yet and I want to do it for a my character. If you have any tutorials on how to model clothing I would really appreciated.
  • timotronprime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    timotronprime polycounter lvl 11
    Wow I want to say thank you so much for the info everyone but now I want to know modeling clothing. I haven't tried modeling clothing yet and I want to do it for a my character. If you have any tutorials on how to model clothing I would really appreciated.

Cloth isn't really mechanical/hard-surface stuff that this thread focuses on.

Clothing is mostly ZBrush work. One way to do it is to start out with a base mesh that conforms to your character body and then start modeling the larger shape-changing details such as collars, tucked waists and rolled-up sleeves etc. Once that is done, you bring it into ZBrush and start sculpting details that are a nightmare to do with sub-d, mostly wrinkles, folds etc. Once that is done, generate normal maps or retopologize as needed prior to that.
  • Stormfreek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sup guys got a funky issue and its driving me insane :(

I want to recreate the leaf pattern (I think that is what it is) on this object where the arrow is:

j6egXwz.png

(sorry for the shitty resolution, this is taken off the gears of war art dump)

I have tried creating the shape using a plane, then shell modifier plus tonnes of ffd modifiers on top of the turbosmooth,but the hard part is making it look so uniform when duplicating them to make the rest of the shape

ocv.png

EDIT:

I was thinking about deforming it to a path, didn't have any luck :(

mc3j.png

any ideas on how this shape can be made? Thanks guys!
  • Stormfreek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna wrote: »
    stormfreek: why don't you just rotate the shape?

hey man,

I thought it would be that easy to, I'm probably doing something wrong:

8n5p.png

it seems that the mesh has a bend for every leaf that makes it look more uniform, not sure if im missing anything here!
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    Here's how I made it:
    How%20u%20model%20dem%20gears.png
    I made mine by using array modifiers and mirrors (no FFD or anything) which made it easy to see exactly how much I needed to scale up the radius of the 'leaveas' as I could fit them together as I was modeling it.

I started with a circle but looking back it'd probably be easier to start with a sphere.

There is a triangle as I didn't bother removing it as it smoothed fine and this was just a quick example.
  • Arnald23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you timotronprime for answering and I have one more question about modeling, in maya im currently modeling a robot arm and a lot of his parts are using around cylinders. I want to get rid of this small bump that it creates when im trying to add edge loops so when I smooth it later it doesn't have it, I just want my surface to look as smooth as possible without any bumps it creates when adding edge loops.
    nKAJVmX.jpg
    803GnwP.jpg
    Gee8gfS.jpg
    sVyC0lz.jpg
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    More geo, as per the title of this thread. ^^

S58Rler.jpg
  • .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    I give up
    ;)
    This SubD stuff is black magic!

:D
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I give up
    ;)
    Did I do something? :poly134: I just made the fastest method I could think of.
  • Stormfreek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak wrote: »
    Here's how I made it:

There is a triangle as I didn't bother removing it as it smoothed fine and this was just a quick example.

Thanks dude! It kinda worked but it still alludes me how they managed to make the shape feel so more organic than what I have...

8Mcb3B0.png
    Did I do something? :poly134: I just made the fastest method I could think of.

naw he must've been talking about problem you you solved :D
  • supaclueless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    supaclueless polycounter lvl 12
    Please don't! You must troop through all trials and tribulations. :poly121:
    I give up
    ;)
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    I think it's directed more at the general consensus of "add more geo" being the solution to every problem, which is the inverse of the methods Per tries to share with people.

Or it could be the mesh posted lol.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I give up
    ;)
    I know, just use MeshFusion, amirite?! *ducks* :)
  • cookedpeanut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cookedpeanut polycounter lvl 12
    Stormfreek wrote: »
    Thanks dude! It kinda worked but it still alludes me how they managed to make the shape feel so more organic than what I have...

8Mcb3B0.png

naw he must've been talking about problem you you solved :D
    Well, to begin with your array is tapered too much. The spindle water-drop things don't taper in that far at the bottom. Also, if you look closely the bits are curved outwards slightly with some damaged details on the surface. Get yourself an alpha brush and do the detailing in ZBrush. Job done.
  • timotronprime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    timotronprime polycounter lvl 11
    More geo, as per the title of this thread. ^^

<image of 200-sided cyliner>

Yes add more. But that's too much more than you need.
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not going to spend more than a minute or two making something like that. I'll leave the optimizing out for this kind of stuff. :P
  • Arnald23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback everyone.
  • Fournish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everyone. new to the forums here! you know I just can't seem to find out how to could make the top of this bag look like its rolled up like the reference. for that matter I can't seem to make the bag look like anything i really want.. lol

2iky6xe.png
  • TheRealFroman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheRealFroman polycounter lvl 11
    Hey guys,

I want to model this shape for a small school project but I'm really not sure where to start. Its a very wierd, advanced shape and I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers? Thanks!

nnLrpvq.jpg
  • cookedpeanut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cookedpeanut polycounter lvl 12
    Hey guys,

I want to model this shape for a small school project but I'm really not sure where to start. Its a very weird, advanced shape and I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers? Thanks!

It looks like an illusion, but from what it looks like, it's simply a bunch of bridges that all meet at the ends where the circular disks meet. That isn't hard in theory to model but it's all the more difficult because gauging the perception of the shape is completely fucked.

Now onto my own nooby question, how can I model this leg, specifically the leaf shape cutout. It's essentially a curved front with a squared back area, atleast it looks that way..?
    6P5c3.jpg
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Not sure if this is exactly what you want; but all it required was to start with a oblong, bevel the vertices and then extend the shape downwards, deciding if you want it to end square or round.

wires, wires close, smooth
  • pinkbubblegum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pinkbubblegum polycounter lvl 4
    Hi everyone! I need to make a pillar for class using Subdivision modelling but I've run into pinching problems with certain edges.

Hmm.jpg

I'm guessing it's due to how my edges are, with some of them ending in triangles. But I'm kind of drawing a blank on how to fix it ;;

Here's the reference I'm using for the pillar:
    542957604_092.jpg

I could always tuck the edges under the trims but I kind of want to make the entire pillar in one object :c

Thanks for any ideas you guys may have! And I hope my problem isn't stupidly silly haha.
  • bcecbit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bcecbit polycounter lvl 3
    Hey guys,

I want to model this shape for a small school project but I'm really not sure where to start. Its a very wierd, advanced shape and I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers? Thanks!

nnLrpvq.jpg
    Hi, i have a 3d model you need. If you need it yet plz pm me, i'll send you it.
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    Hey arnold, this is how i would do it! =)
    24yk.jpg
    n624ykj
    Thank you timotronprime for answering and I have one more question about modeling, in maya im currently modeling a robot arm and a lot of his parts are using around cylinders. I want to get rid of this small bump that it creates when im trying to add edge loops so when I smooth it later it doesn't have it, I just want my surface to look as smooth as possible without any bumps it creates when adding edge loops.
    nKAJVmX.jpg
    803GnwP.jpg
    Gee8gfS.jpg
    sVyC0lz.jpg
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    Hey guys,

Here check out topmod.
  • oscrjhnssn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oscrjhnssn polycounter lvl 3
    Hey guys,

That's a pretty sick shape - I'd try to break it down into modular pieces that can be fitted together into a sphere. Perhaps try with a icosahedron for a start.

If it still doesn't get you going you can check out this table lamp from IKEA (I got it at home, that's why it came to thought) - Fillsta IKEA lamp. Here's the assembly instructions in PDF as well.

pEpOuL9.png
  • afreitas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    afreitas polycounter lvl 4
    I found this lamp on intructables web site
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Universal-lamp-shade-polygon-building-kit/
    Here you can find the pattern.
  • pinkbubblegum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pinkbubblegum polycounter lvl 4
    Hi everyone! I need to make a pillar for class using Subdivision modelling but I've run into pinching problems with certain edges.

Hmm.jpg

I'm guessing it's due to how my edges are, with some of them ending in triangles. But I'm kind of drawing a blank on how to fix it ;;

Here's the reference I'm using for the pillar:
    542957604_092.jpg

I could always tuck the edges under the trims but I kind of want to make the entire pillar in one object :c

Thanks for any ideas you guys may have! And I hope my problem isn't stupidly silly haha.

Just quoting this in hopes of getting a reply c:
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Those are some pretty intricate columns to polygon-model faithfully ~.o

It's hard to tell from the wireframe but the way the top of that column is laid out seems pretty wonky. I would delete all the polies on the top of the column, select the boundary you've left, extrude the edges in a little bit, and cap the border. Then, cut up that polygon into a grid. That may or may not help--again, it's hard to tell from your wireframe.
  • seb3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seb3d polycounter lvl 11
    pillar.jpgthat would be my approach for a shape like this (in maya but im sure 3ds or whatever offers similar functions). first one: nurbs circle extruded along a curve with 360° rotation. second: poly cylinder - twist deformed - some curves from edges which act as wire deformers. both endings are not perfect but i think good enough especially when hidden by other geometry. hope it helps as starting point.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    It looks like an illusion, but from what it looks like, it's simply a bunch of bridges that all meet at the ends where the circular disks meet. That isn't hard in theory to model but it's all the more difficult because gauging the perception of the shape is completely fucked.

Now onto my own nooby question, how can I model this leg, specifically the leaf shape cutout. It's essentially a curved front with a squared back area, atleast it looks that way..?

If I was you, I would make it using spline shapes and a loft path. You might be able to get away with just 3 shapes, and then let it morph from one shape to another. At least it would be the easiest way to get the base shape, imo, especially if you want to adjust it.

A video tutorial about shapes/loft can be found here: http://cgi.tutsplus.com/tutorials/using-splines-to-quickly-create-highly-complex-geometry-in-3ds-max--cg-1596
  • sejnulla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heyo!
    I think i have an easy one four you guys!

I cant figure out how to make this with quads and a nice mesh when smoothed.
    Any tips?

F9RnH0j.png
    e8VGylI.png
    NyzIDqz.png
  • .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    sejnulla wrote: »
    Heyo!
    I think i have an easy one four you guys!

I cant figure out how to make this with quads and a nice mesh when smoothed.
    Any tips?

jzchp3sk.png
    Pretty simple