Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - marro, character artist mostly

Hello! I've recently updated my portfolio ( www.marro.se ) and want to pimp it! Crits on the site and artwork would be awesome.

take care

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    The text links to the gallery sections are really hard to read (white over yellow).
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    you've definitely got your own style, i like it. What are you looking for in regards to crits... are you looking to get a game job? or just a site to place your work on for others to see?

I agree text is a bit hard to read, but nice characters. :D

I'm not a huge fan of all the white space in the background either, but that's just me. :)
  • monkeyboy_garth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyboy_garth polycounter lvl 9
    Beautiful work, marro - really nice - you definitely have a beautiful style that's great for 3d illustration. I love the way your sketches and style translates to 3d. Like Perna and others have suggested though, it's hard to say how to give you constructive criticism since your work isn't really game related.

Great illustrations.
  • DrillerKiller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrillerKiller polycounter lvl 11
    nice style, i like the teeth
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome style, but you need to expand your portfolio to express what else you can do. Right now you have one hook in the water with some awesome looking bait.

It's easier to catch fish with a net.

And yes the tiny white type on a yellow background is murder on the eyes. It would also be nice to have a sub menu above the images but below the main menu. 2D, 3D L&E when you click on a portfolio link. That way you don't have to go back to the main portfolio menu to get to another section.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Amazing work dude, I love it. It's like you opened up my skull and looked into my brain.
  • marro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback! The white text is gone (don't know what i was thinking). I see what you mean with the one hook thing, and my next project is to do something more gamey. I'm still figuring things out about the workflow though. And anatomy.

What would you like to see if I was going after a game job? Realistic characters?

Also, I was thinking of maybe putting up a wip/wires section. I know I always enjoy looking at wires and texture sheets.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    While your style is cool, and I like your characters, if you applied as a character artist to most game studios right now I think they would at least ask you to do an art test, if not turn you down outright.

Mainly because you don't demonstrate any of the detailed texture work that most character artists would be expected to do, and you don't show any examples of more "mass market" kind of work, which is probably what you'd be working on at most studios.
    Even if it wasn't the totally obvious "photoreal" style, the lack of anything even towards a more realistic, gritty or detailed "believable" style is going to hurt you when job hunting in this industry, I think.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Screw game companies. Your art style is much more suited to motion pictures. Look for potential openings at Dreamworks or Pixar. Personally, I find your style quite appealing. You should work on putting together a short animation featuring some of the characters you've built.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    dang dude this stuff is Dooope. more than anything I`d love to see these guys moving around.
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    Just awesome !

I'd follow Richard's advice and try to get a job in motion pictures, your style is matching perfectly :)

*About to be added to his links page*
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    love the monkey, but i agree with anyone else, ur style is really fitting for the motion pictures industry. Good luck!