Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Unearthly Challenge | vAntage | Metzelei Haus

Replies

• Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mangled Poly polycounter lvl 18
    So an update.....
    Again we are getting closer to final with this, still tweaks left but we need to start planning on wrapping up since we will have a busy weekend celebrating Artem's 21st!

Shot 1:
    blockout028.jpg

Shot 2:
    blockout029.jpg
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    What is it about german that makes everything sound so purely evil? :D

Great stuff, I guess my only crit would be how uber black the ceiling is, with all the lights and ambient you'd think it'd be a bit lighter. The equipment turned out really sweet. Keep it up guys, home stretch!
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What is it about german that makes everything sound so purely evil? :D

Great stuff, I guess my only crit would be how uber black the ceiling is, with all the lights and ambient you'd think it'd be a bit lighter. The equipment turned out really sweet. Keep it up guys, home stretch!

Yeah I semi agree and may need some tweaking...
    First question is your monitor calibrated correctly?

There is some fine rim highlight details in there that hint of items and the ceiling being there. We originally had it much lighter and it took the focus away and made the scene very, very busy.
  • struve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    struve polycounter lvl 18
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hey guys, good shots. I'm glad you guys are nearing the completion of this. Boyd and I are wrapping up and its a good feeling. Congratulations all around to Team vAntage.

There's something about the smoke/dust you have in your pictures that's throwing it off to me. Did you guys add soft particles to the Infernal Engine? It almost looks like it was done in Photoshop rather than using an atmosphere effect/effect emitter to do it. On top of that, its really removing any sort of contrast those areas of the the scene have by using that grey smoke/dust.

The idea of the room being dusty/smokey, I think, would be pulled off more convincingly and keep the contrast in those areas at an even level if it were done with dust motes/particles rather than filled images.

As well, the materials are falling a bit flat. The concrete areas look decent but I think the machines and the frame work of the gournies could really stand to get a proper environment/reflection treatment to their materials. I know its suppose to be old & dirty/dusty but the reflective property of those metals would still come through in areas. The floor in the second shot is pretty believeable, assuming its a ceramic tile or something similar.

On that note, I wonder how the blood would look if it were a bit shinier. Somewhat unrealistic, especially if its old & dried, but it'd pop out a bit more if it were that way.

That said, I think its a fantastic piece. Some fucked up shit went on here and thats really apparent. My favourite part is the silhouette of the drip bags in the second shot.
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Adam some comments below:
    adamBrome wrote: »
    There's something about the smoke/dust you have in your pictures that's throwing it off to me. Did you guys add soft particles to the Infernal Engine? It almost looks like it was done in Photoshop rather than using an atmosphere effect/effect emitter to do it. On top of that, its really removing any sort of contrast those areas of the the scene have by using that grey smoke/dust.

The smoke/fog inside is a bit too much and planned on stepping it back a little as your right it does kill the contrast a bit. Yes Soft Particles are in Infernal now :)

As well, the materials are falling a bit flat. The concrete areas look decent but I think the machines and the frame work of the gournies could really stand to get a proper environment/reflection treatment to their materials. I know its suppose to be old & dirty/dusty but the reflective property of those metals would still come through in areas. The floor in the second shot is pretty believeable, assuming its a ceramic tile or something similar.

Yeah we agree something about some of the lighting on the machines is making it flat we are going to adjust lighting some tonight and give it a retry. I am sure some stronger and more contrasting specular will be needed as well.
    On that note, I wonder how the blood would look if it were a bit shinier. Somewhat unrealistic, especially if its old & dried, but it'd pop out a bit more if it were that way.

I think we liked the contrast breakup between the specular ceramic tile and dried blood.

anyways we will keep grinding away at it small tweaks at a time :p
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Fantastic work guys - the composition, colours and contrast are really great.
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    this is just outstanding! beautiful, guys!
  • zeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Epic! Great work
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok guys as we wrap up here are all our final images!

render01:
    render01.jpg

render02:
    render02.jpg

Construction:
    construction.jpg

Concept:
    concept.jpg

Texture:
    texture.jpg

It was a lot of fun and congrats to everyone for great work! Now lets take down those GA do gooders!
  • kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 16
    metzelei haus sounds somewhat unusal in german - did you mean "schlachthaus "(>slaughterhouse) :)

turned out real nice.
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes I did, sorry it sounds weird.. ignorant American using a crappy translator :(
  • thatnumpty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really quality work, guys.
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    ship it! My favourite entry
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    great work guys!!!
    B
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Very very pretty, much improved from what was an already excellent piece the last time
    that I looked. I think its the upgrades to its readability that helps sell it.

Professional level work all the way through, best of luck!
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
  • Lear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really nice work guys. I must say you nailed the concept which was also awesome.
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    Awesome stuff everyone! Grats on the completion and best of luck.
  • EbolaV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EbolaV keyframe
    realy impressive. maybe a winner? ^^
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Nice, but your final renders are a little bit blurry~~

Love the blue and orange contrast.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm, yeah, that first final render looks like I'm viewing it at 66.7% zoom in Photoshop, you know where it hasn't quite antialiased right, it looks like it was resampled strangely or something?
    It's especially noticeable where the silhouette of the dark wall hits the yellow/orange bright background, that diagonal line looks like it should be really sharp and clear, and yet it looks a bit fuzzy like it's incorrectly sampled...

Oh well, the end result is still great. I just thought that you should be able to get nicer quality AA on the final image.
  • felixthepuerto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felixthepuerto polycounter lvl 10
    hey guys I think this looks amazing, and the contrast of colors is really good... good stuff
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    top notch! in your second final shot I would like more contrast between the blackest blacks and the whitest whites. - moreso on teh white end.

looks so damn good guys, so damn impressive, great work! Good luck!
  • nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nkoste polycounter lvl 18
    Grats on finishing! I loved watching it progress, great work!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Congrats on the 2nd place, you noobs!
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    geez.. just got back in town from the land of no internets and saw the results. If you all woulda started over like I had said... maybe you would have gotten first. grats.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    really loving the way you made the destroyed floors and walls. very convincing.

and congratulations on getting 2nd place, there was lots of competition
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    congratz on the win you guys, your WIPs were so good that they were kinda frightening haha. made me wonder why i was even competing.